Reductil ---- any help/support ?

:cry:I have just started reductil yesterday. Has anyone got any advice on this method of weight loss or inspiration. I am in desperate need :tear_drop::tear_drop::tear_drop::tear_drop::tear_drop::cry:

Hi

I started Reductil last week 15mg the first few days they worked perfectly but now i ssem to be getting my appetite back bit by bit so not sure how long they will actually work for. In saying that i put up a post last week on them and a for a few people they have woked really well.

Hello, my last doctor gave me this a few years ago and it really didnt work for me, I was on loo alllll the time. (sorry tmi) But if you need inspiration you have come to the right place, just look at some of the before and after pictures and the fabulous success stories. I have just started my journey and have already had so much fantastic advice. It is so friendly on here and they will support you in your weight loss journey.

See how you go on the tablets and if they do not work for you, go back to your doctor and see if they can put you on a diet and fitness programme or look at some of the other options that are available, there are so many to choose from and you will find one right for you. Just look at all the different ones on this site, this is what I did when choosing my plan.

Good luck and keep us posted x

they only gave me 10mg ? so stressed about it all. Just been looking at before and after photos on here thay are amazing x

Hello, I am doing the LighterLife diet, it is not for everyone because you dont eat anything for 14 weeks, just have soups, shakes and bars. You dont need to think about food which is great for me.

I have tried countless other diets and thought I would give this a try because I have so much to loose. I did enjoy Slimming world, however I needed the extra support that you get with a counsellor. I was just blown away by the massive weight losses of the other people on here doing LL.

Fingers crossed working okay so far. :cool:

Sorry Reductil didn't work for me but I wish you well. Hope you get great losses.

Reductill didn't for me either. Was on them 6 months & would lose one month then put it back on the next, did that for 6 months and ended up the exact same weight as when I began lol!!
Good luck with them hope they work ok for you. I was just doing my own low cal diet. x

is there enough fat in the lighter life diet to need reductil? or are you using them to ensure you dont stray off plan?

Reductil is an appetite suppressant, think you might be mixing it up with Orlistat/Xenical which helps eliminate so much of the fat which is eaten.

I've used Reductil and it works, but you still need to put in some work, following a low cal diet. Its not a magic pill, but I found it helped reduce my appetite and I didn't snack as much or eat as much at mealtimes.

i guess you are following a lo cal diet alongside reductil? and exercise?

like someone else said it is not a magic pill. i was prescribed the 10mg and upped it to the 15mg in 2006. i still had to calorie count and go to the gym BUT i did lose weight.

it is only an appetite suppressant so you can still eat (if you want to). this was my prob, it didnt deal with my bingeing.

i had trouble sleeping on reductil as they have similar side effects to 'speed' lol.

if you are doing CD/LL you def wont need to be taking reductil as the ketosis is an appetite suppressant.

good luck with it xxx

Hi
I started taking Reductil yesterday, Sat 28th June.

How long before they kick in to your system? I feel no different at all but I didnt really think I would on day one.

I am on 10 mg tablets and one thing that has changed is my sleep, its 2.30 am and I am normally fast asleep by now but I am wide awake!!

I am feeling positive, havent felt this positive for a long long time.

Nice to meet you all, I hope to make nice friends here.

I will drop by tomorrow

Much love to you all xox

started reductil , today its my last hope before a band , ive done lighter life a fab diet , but please do follow the plan till the end , dont think ive lost the weight i dont need maintenence , becuse thats the mistake i maded , reductil does make u feel like u have taken speed , younger days diet lol, so fingers crossed it works , my cousin s lost 1 stone 5 lbs in 5 weeks so here goes

A few things to think about:

Reductil/Sibutramine = about 8 lbs lost a year.

Xenical/Orlistat = about 6 lbs lost a year.

Accomplia/Rimonabant (the newest drug available on the NHS) = slightly higher losses per year, but known to induce psychosis and unreasonable anger.

Very low calorie diets = weight lost per year? Well, at least 10 stones.....

I know which I'd prefer. Definitely shouldn't use Xenical on vlcd, Reductil not really necessary because of ketosis.

over the last 5 yrs i have taken reductil and xenical at one time or another, the side effects of xenical are much worse than reductil but with xenical i lost more weight.

im now one and a half weeks into CD and i have lost more on the diet in a short space of time than i have with pills. the pills tend to make you think you can still eat what you want (crap and high fat foods) cos the pills will counteract it.... :(

Good luck with it, hope it works for you x

Food is not your God anymore

:cry:I have just started reductil yesterday. Has anyone got any advice on this method of weight loss or inspiration. I am in desperate need :tear_drop::tear_drop::tear_drop::tear_drop::tear_drop::cry:

[FONT=&quot]“ My Reductil “ What really works …[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Mechanisms for regulating food intake are still not clearly established. That the hypothalamus plays a part in these mechanisms, however, seems certain. Numerous studies seem to indicate that a cluster of neurons in the lateral hypothalamus function as an appetite center (meaning that impulses from them bring about increased appetite). Other data suggest that a group of neurons in the ventral medial nucleus of the hypothalamus functions as a satiety center (meaning that impulses from these neurons decrease appetite so that we feel sated, or satisfied. What acts directly on these centers to stimulate or depress them is still a matter of theory rather than a fact.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]One theory ( the thermostat theory ) holds that it is the temperature of the blood circulating to the hypothalamus that influences the centers. A moderate decrease in blood temperature stimulates the appetite center (and inhibits the satiety center). Result : the individual has an appetite, wants to eat, and probably does. An increase in blood temperature produces the opposite effect, a depressed appetite (anorexia). One well-known instance of this is the loss of appetite in persons who have a fever.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Another theory ( the glucostat theory ) says that it is the glucose concentration and rate of glucose use that influences the hypothalamic feeding centers. A low blood glucose concentration and rate of glucose use stimulates the appetite center, whereas high blood glucose concentration inhibits it.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The use of (My Reductil) as a drug for weight loss is highly linked to the body’s own appetite control mechanisms, where it suppresses appetite an stimulates the body to use its own energy resources.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The active ingredient of (My Reductil) is sibutramine. Sibutramine was originally developed as an antidepressant ( fights depression ), and it exerts its effect by helping two other substances: noradrenaline and serotonin stay as long as possible in the brain. Noradrenaline is the hormone of stress. It gushes through our blood at times of fight or fear moments to help us use all our bodily capabilities to either fight or run away from the stress at hand. I don’t think anyone who might be reading that article ever had the desire to eat when faced by any threat. Serotonin is a local hormone that controls the release of another local hormone called leptin whose receptors are in the brain and their activation by leptin inhibits impulses that increase appetite, and stimulates impulses that decrease appetite.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]This drug is rapidly absorbed from the gut, and it is extensively metabolized ( broken down ) in the liver, and its resulting substances have a half life ( time for the body to breakdown half of the substance ) is 14 – 16 hours, and is responsible for its effects. That’s why (My Reductil) should be taken early in the morning, so that it doesn’t make you awake and disturb your sleeping time, especially on the first day of taking the drug.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot](My Reductil) shouldn’t be taken carelessly by patients. It should be prescribed only for people with Body Mass Index (BMI) of 27 or more who have other heart or blood vessel risk factors, or 30 or more in their absence. It should be stopped if weight lost after 3 months is less than 5% of the initial weight. It should be stopped also if weight lost stabilizes at less than 5% of the initial weight thereafter ( despite increase in concentration of My Reductil ), or if users regain more than 3 kg after previous weight loss. It should not be given for more than 1 year.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]If one wanna calculate one’s own BMI, Divide your weight in kilograms by the square of your height in meters. So for example, if your weight is 115 kg, and your height is 180 centimeters ( i.e. 1.8 meters ), so your BMI can be calculated as 115/(1.8)2 = 115/3.24 = 35.4, so, if you have no other contraindications to use (My Reductil), you’ll definitely be able to use it.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Being part of the antidepressant family, (My Reductil) is not the drug which you might be drinking alcohol during its course of treatment, because both will exert a depressing effect on brain function. So try to be more conservative at birthday parties or celebrations please. The dose of (My Reductil) is 10-15 mg per day by mouth.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]One of the most reported side effects experienced by users of (My Reductil), and which - at the same time – are self-limited with continued use or – sometimes – symptomatic treatment, is lack of sleep especially in the first night or two of taking (My Reductil), and the best way to handle that is by taking the pill very early in the morning.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Another very popular side effect, dry mouth, which occurs in more than 10% of users, but it’s nothing to worry about. It may require the user to consume 2-3 litres of water a day, and always carry an extra bottle of water around, but to look at it from another optimistic view, drinking a lot of water daily actually fills the stomach and decreases appetite, so it’s helpful anyway.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]There is a famous forum on Yahoo about how good (My Reductil) is as an anti-obesity drug. I’ve been to that forum reading people’s feedback on that drug, and how it really helped most of them with their weight loss battles. Here are some of the remarkable quotes people said after sing that drug: “ With My Reductil, I just have no interest in food “. One guy with inactive thyroid gland said: “ My Reductil is the only thing that helped me “. Another one quoted: “ My Reductil stops you needing to eat. It gets rid of the hunger, but willpower needs to be strong “. A last one: “ Food is not my God anymore “.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]There is also one last relation between (My Reductil), blood pressure and headache. That relation needs to be understood by patients in order not to be confused to the extent of quitting treatment for no reason. As I notified earlier, (My Reductil) depends on noradrenaline and serotonin inside the brain to do what it does. As all would know, noradrenaline narrows blood vessels everywhere in the body which contributes to raising the blood pressure alittle, while serotonin, dilates blood vessels, and in the brain, may cause the headaches that (My Reductil) users may experience especially on the first days of treatment. The point is : Don’t just quit (My Reductil) if your blood pressure rises a little bit. You can stop it if the rise in blood pressure is severe ( more than 180/110 ), so that’s why doctors recommend that (My Reductil) users should check their blood pressure closely throughout its use ( twice weekly during the first 3 months ). You shouldn’t worry much about the headache because it goes away later, and as far as your blood pressure is fine, take a panadol or something or the headache and life will go on.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]In fact, you should benefit from the 3 months that you start your (My Reductil) in, and not rush losing weight too fast. Losing weight so fast may let you get saggy skin, or let your kidney fall off inside your abdomen due to quick loss of the fat pad attaching it to the wall of the abdomen, so those first 3 months should be used by you wisely. The first month is all about surviving the changes that taking (My Reductil) will have on your life. The second month should be all about trying to establish an eating pattern. The third month should be all about introducing a more extensive exercise program.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The last thing to be mentioned here is that (My Reductil) should not be used in ( severe ) increase in blood pressure. It should not be used at all with peripheral occlusive arterial or coronary heart disease, arrhythmias, enlarged prostate condition, and in severe liver or kidney disease. It shouldn’t also be used to treat obesity of endocrine origin, or those with a major eating disorder or a psychiatric disease. It also shouldn’t be taken together with a tricyclic antidepressant, because both may lead to central nervous system toxicity. [/FONT]

reference : www.searchplato.com

Last edited:
Started on Reductil 13 days ago and have my first weigh-in in two days time. The first few days I seemed to be more hungry than ever and whatever I ate didn't really fill me up. I stuck with it though and kept to a low fat, low cal diet and now it seems to be working. Some days I have to remind myself I haven't eaten and others I do get fairly hungry but get full really quickly without actually having eaten very much at all. I do find that if I start to feel a bit peckish between meals I go for a walk and the feeling goes. Early days but only time will tell. I haven't had any side effects apart from dry mouth. So now I am actually looking forward to my weigh in on friday which is strange as I have spent years avoiding the scales at all costs and now I can't wait to jump on them.

Hi I was on Reductil for a few months then went to the Diabetic clinic and put on 7 kg I nearly had to be worked with shock .Because I was only eating cornflakes 2 slices of toast for brekkie fruit in between and weight watches meals for tea . I still think them scales were not working right. Good luck and take care .
MARGARET XX

That must have been really disapointing for you. By the sounds of it you wasn't eating very much at all so I would lay a bet on those scales being faulty. Surely if you were only eatting WW meals and conflakes it would be impossible to put on weight.
Incidently I was advised to watch the amount of fruit I eat because a lot of it contains sugar which obvioulsy if you don't burn off goes to fat.

One of my friends tried these some time ago. Did not work for her either. She got some pounds off for the first week or so though.

Back