Regrets.....

GrannieAnnie

Silver Member
I was wondering if anyone has any regrets about not starting SW sooner...

I know I do. I`d been deluding myself for some time that as I was on the wrong side of 40 (I`m now the wrong side of 50!lol) that gaining weight was all part of getting older.

It doesn`t help that I have the sort of mother that can`t say anything nice. She expects me to look the way she did at the same age - frumpy!! :D

Anyway, what did it for me was looking at some photos from last summer. OH and I had gone to see Suzi Quatro in concert (showing my age!!) and she was fantastic!! She`s in her sixties and belting out all the stuff I remembered from the 70`s. Afterwards she was signing autographs and OH took a photo of us together. It was only then that I realised I was out of control. I know she`s tiny - about 5ft - and at 5ft 4ins I towered over her but I looked like a beached whale in comparison!

After dithering about what to do all last winter I finally took the plunge and joined SW in May. I`d tried to lose weight at home and started at 12st 4lbs, most of which was on my stomach. Made me look pregnant (not been there if years!). On joining SW I started at 11st 8 1/2lbs. I`m now 10st 1lb. Got my 1.5st shiny recently and well on my way to my interim target of 9.5st. Although I would like to be 8st 12lbs.

I do regret not sorting myself out sooner as I feel so much better already. I`m definately not the same person I was this time last year!!

Just think at least you have done it now- better late than never.
Be thankful that you have seen the light- there are many others oh whom haven't.
One being my own mother, of whom is mid 50s and i am guessing around 25 stone? All up in her own world of bad arthrightous (sp!) in both knees, gastric band op which she has cheated and still ignores the fact that she is over weight, and has no intentions of changing. Also hates me for being on a diet?

So be thankful for your health happiness and your willpower to be who you want to be :)
xxxxx

No, I don't have any regrets :) I think that if I'd started SW a while back, I might not have been 'mentally ready' and would have ended up quitting. I'm definitely in the right frame of mind now, and I really feel that this is the last time I'm ever going to have to 'diet' - SW is the perfect plan for life!

I know what you mean. I'm 26 so I know that some people would have loved to have been my age and finally doing something about it but I wish I'd done this earlier or obviously never let myself go like this.

Honestly though, like the intro to my diary says, I couldn't even find the strength to do it for my wedding three years ago so I mustn't have been ready but now... this is my time :D

x

I wish i had joined with my friend last october! I was pregnant at the time and losing weight without trying and just though stuff dieting!! Gave birth and gained half of what i had lost!!! Really wish i had read the plan back then and realised how good it was, even if i didn't start while pregnant i could have started strait after the birth instead of eating rubbish for the next 6 months and getting fatter!
Well, here now and loving it. Cant change the past i guess x

I wish I had re joined 3 years ago,when diagnosed with diet control diabetes,instead I've deluded myself and wasted 3 years! X

I wish i had joined about 4 years ago so i could have got to target before getting married. I loved my wedding photos, but now i am nearly 3 stone lightet i can really ser the difference in how i look & i think i'd prefer to look like this than like i did on my wedding day.

Never mind, a good excuse to renew our vows sooner rather than later.

I wish I had lost weight for my wedding, honeymoon and my sisters wedding. Tbh though, I had tried and my head wasnt in the right place. So I guess it wasnt meant to be. I do regret farting about all this year and not doing more to shift the weight for my holiday. I let my unrealistic expectations take control instead and now Im left with this massive push. I dunno, I just wish I was sensible realistic and didnt have the issues with food I do. Hmph.

I wish that I had continued with sw the first time instead of getting a Stone down and then quitting x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I believe that things happen when they're meant to happen. I never knew about SW properly until a friend of mine started on it (i had heard it but it was just a name). In the 10 weeks between her starting and me starting, things started to slot in place, that I was able to start something like SW. It helped that another friend offered to pay half of my countdown fee!

I don't regret the fact that I could have been a healthy weight 2-3-4-5 years ago....because it's not going to change anything. I'm not going to lose any weight quicker.

I remember when I stopped drinking- someone I knew who also stopped said that they wished they stopped when they were my age (19) because their drinking got so bad that they lost a lot of things- their marriage, house, job, car, etc. I said to them that in the years that they did drink- they gained experience, something they can draw on to help others in similar situations.

It's kinda similar with this imo. If someone is 50 when they start SW (like someone in my group did tonight) they have those years of struggling with diets and weight that they can draw on to help others when they feel comfortable to.

What's most important is that you're doing something about it *now*. Look forward to the future- it's going to be awesome :)

*Emsie* said:
I regret getting so big in the first place

This....... And not noticing just how bad it was until I tried to buy new clothes.

Sent from my Desire HD using MiniMins

I regret nothing! It's a waste of time and puts you in a negative frame of mind!
I'm determined now and know this is a lifelong change, I cannot stand to be around women who go on umpteen diets without any willpower or determination and suck the joy from the world around them. I've worked with a few and made up my mind never to be that person. No offence meant to anyone xxxx

Shirleen said:
I regret nothing! It's a waste of tome and pits you on a negative frame of mind!
I'm determined and know this is a lifelong change, I cannot stand to be around women who go on umpteen diets without any willpower or determination and suck the joy from the world around them. I've worked with a few and made up my mind ne er to be that person.

I don't regret anything either. I've been large all my life & it has taught me lots & has made me the person I am today, though it hasn't defined me. I work in the most notorious industries for weight issues and that is fashion. Fair enough models/people at work look & sometimes comment, but I've never been in the situation where I thought : You should have done something earlier. The reason I'm doing this is because when I met my boyfriend we promised each other we'd get healthier, so we can prolong our life together.
Sadly my other half has lost 2.5st by being a distant sw-er and me .5 stone by going to class for two-ish weeks. So unfair :) Anyway as others have said, my time is now, my motivation is there now & now is the time I'm ready to face the obstacles, emotions & huge piles of veg that I will encounter on my sw path. Regret will only make you depressed...& now is not the time to get depressed but to be excited about things to come!

Sorry that was a long one :S

I could regret the fact that if I hadn't put on weight my cheating lying skunk of an ex-husband might not have lied & cheated on me. Had I lost weight sooner, he might not have left me for someone else. But he did, I lost weight and met my lovely new husband (married 1 month ago). Moral of the story - don't regret anything :D

Regrets? I have a few. But then again, too few to mention.......

Sorry, I had to. :D

I regret stopping slimming world and taking it for granted coz I restarted 16lbs heavier than the first time I started Which is 26lbs heavier than when I left!!!!

Leapfrog said:
I could regret the fact that if I hadn't put on weight my cheating lying skunk of an ex-husband might not have lied & cheated on me. Had I lost weight sooner, he might not have left me for someone else. But he did, I lost weight and met my lovely new husband (married 1 month ago). Moral of the story - don't regret anything :D

Excellent. :)
Sorry your ex was a lying cheating scum bag but excellent how these things which at the time we kick ourselves for and, in your case, blame yourself and your weight, turn out for the best. Bet you wouldn't change the current situation for the world!!! :)

I could regret that when I got pregnant, I ate everything in sight without even thinking about what I put in my mouth and then continued to do so after I had my son.
It was a photo that prompted me to start SW and I am so glad I did as I didn't just lose weight, I met my best friend at group (we had known each other at college and lost touch) and I couldn't have got through the last few years without her.
Everything happens,when it happens, for a reason, what's the point in regrets?

C x

Back