'Regular' cappuccino no longer available - only lactose-free.

JustJo

Cambridge Counsellor
I've had an email overnight (came through at 00:17 - surely HQ don't work that late?!) to say that cappuccino is no longer available, yet we can still order lactose-free.

I take it lactose-free cappuccino is a new product? As far as i'm aware, the only lactose-free shakes until now were vanilla, chocolate, and the new choc-orange. Is this part of the move to make all shakes lactose-free?

I hope it tastes similar - cappuccino is one of my faves! Ah well, my lactose-intolerant client will be pleased!

Jo x

I got the infi ?by email (can't rememebr for sure) a couple of weeks ago. They were running down their lactose-cappuccino & swapping over to the Lact Free. I had a pack of both here last week& couldn't taste the difference,just like the choc etc.
I knew they wanted to be less reliant on skimmed milk cos of the rising cost. Think I heard somewhere there's a world shortage of skimmed milk powdwer. Can this be true?
are they really planning to convert all the shakes to soya?

I know i have had lactose free other shakes and there wasnt a difference in taste so lets hope. I think its a good idea if they all eventually go over to lactose free aslong as flavour doesnt change, im just waiting for a soup that tastes of beef and a different flavoured Tetra to offer lol

julesrush
cdc norwich

Jane: Ah, I never got that email, so the one I picked up yesterday morning took me by surprise! The world shortage thing is somewhat odd - why exactly is there a shortage, and why haven't I heard that elsewhere?

Jules: I agree - if they taste the same, then I guess I have no problem with all the sachets becoming lactose-free. At least lactose-intolerant clients will have the same choice as everyone else! A beefy soup should really be easy enough, as beef is obviously carb-free! I also agree that there should be more variety of tetras - it's probably the biggest complaint that I get.

Jo x

Yes it is the first move in moving away from skimmed milk powder, I have to say most of my customers say they new cappucino is "smoother" and easier to mix than the old one so sounds good to me.

Mike

Yes it is the first move in moving away from skimmed milk powder, I have to say most of my customers say they new cappucino is "smoother" and easier to mix than the old one so sounds good to me.

Mike
Thanks, Mike - it's good to hear the lactose-free is going to be nice! Haven't ordered any yet - I did put cappuccino in my Thursday night emailed order, but i'm now thinking it won't be included... unless they substitute it for the lactose-free, of course.

Looking forward to trying it now!

Jo x

I haven't had any complaints about the lactose free cappuccino but i have been told the LF chocolate is very different to the regular chocolate!

Hi Jo - it sounds as though you didn't receive your copy of the Insider, issue 2, September... (the one with the front page splash about Mushroom Pasta and Lactose-free products, which came with the new Orders and Products leaflet from 010907, and the Counsellor Questionnaire...)

Better phone HQ for one!

World shortage of skimmed milk powder (and consequent increase in price) is due apparently to both drought and flood.....but I wonder why it doesn't seem to have affected soya beans...????

Hi Jo - it sounds as though you didn't receive your copy of the Insider, issue 2, September... (the one with the front page splash about Mushroom Pasta and Lactose-free products, which came with the new Orders and Products leaflet from 010907, and the Counsellor Questionnaire...)

Better phone HQ for one!

World shortage of skimmed milk powder (and consequent increase in price) is due apparently to both drought and flood.....but I wonder why it doesn't seem to have affected soya beans...????
Ah, nooo, I definitely didn't receive that one - i'd have remembered getting a counsellor questionairre! Dunno why though, as I usually receive stuff okay. I'll have to ask for a back copy!

Jo x

I know i have had lactose free other shakes and there wasnt a difference in taste so lets hope. I think its a good idea if they all eventually go over to lactose free aslong as flavour doesnt change, im just waiting for a soup that tastes of beef and a different flavoured Tetra to offer lol

julesrush
cdc norwich
totally agree about 3rd tetra & a more beefy type soup. there is a heavy chick/mush bias to the range a present.
Not sure I'd want too many new flavours as 1) my cupboard isnt that big:p, & 2)new customers in particular get overwhelmed. (spose I just need to hold their hands while choosing)
A lot ask me 'what's nice?' & I say problem is what I like won't be the same as you eg Never been able to do the choc mint as it reminds me vividly of being car sick as a child!:eek:

I enourage them to 'choose & change' but they tend to be modest about it.

Jane: Ah, I never got that email, so the one I picked up yesterday morning took me by surprise! The world shortage thing is somewhat odd - why exactly is there a shortage, and why haven't I heard that elsewhere?

Weather conditions may have contributed but there's also a worldwide increase in demand as it used gets in all sorts of industrial food manuacturing. Look on the back of almost anything & it'll have milk powder or milk whey or dairy based protein etcetc onthe ingredients.

Jo x

Mike

I think the Soya stuff mixes up easier too If you're using a blender you prob won't notice, but with a hand whisk the lumps disperse much quicker.
Thanks, Mike - it's good to hear the lactose-free is going to be nice! Haven't ordered any yet - I did put cappuccino in my Thursday night emailed order, but i'm now thinking it won't be included... unless they substitute it for the lactose-free, of course.

Looking forward to trying it now!
Jo x
Jo they had used up their milk based Cappuccino by last week they will automatically substitute the soya.

my small concern is political/environmental.
we grow our own cows & milk.Soya mainly from North america.
Transporting it all across the Atlantic is wasteful & helping to force ore dairy farmers to sell up is v bad. A countryside wit out cows in is too sad to contemplate.
Further more the soya will almost certainly be GM. I believe the yanks grow little else these days.
Do we know anything about the soya that Cambridge source?

having siad that I don't know how much british milk is turned into skimmed milk owder, maybe v little & it's all made from oversees milk anyway.

I think that most of the skimmed milk powder used in manufacturing here in Britain comes from places like Australia where they have vast herds. They have had a very bad drought there leading to poor milk yields hence the shortage. I dont think much British milk is turned into powdered milk.

Would be interesting to find out the origins of the soya beans though.

Back