Reputation Power

Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
I didnt realize so many people would notice that rep power was reduced but anyways.

This is why, reputation power was getting completly out of hand to such a point that it was crazy. You only need 10 reputation comments from high rep power peopled and you would have a star.. imagine in another year the site just being over run with millions of stars under everybodys name.

The options were to:

- restart reputation from scratch
- increase the amount of reputation required to gain stars
- decrease reputation power in order to slow it down

The other idea is to introduce a new system to reward good posts (which is why reputation exists) and have reputation still there.

Pierce

I think it's fantastic. I always felt that reps should be given for useful, helpful, supportive/informative posts and that is the rule for which I distribute my own. Seems that it's not always the case - why else would it be getting out of hand? Back in the day Stars didn't exists, just the small blobs, but I think the stars have become 'collectors items'. Whenever I've acquired a star I'm genuinely pleased because my reps are for posts I've given in support/help for someone - I think!

So good on you for curbing this before it got out of hand :D:woohoo:

Reactions: KD
So, if I may ask, how have you decreased it, have you simply factored it down, or done something more complex?

Also, are you expecting that this solution will remain, or that it is temporary before it is changed again?

So, if I may ask, how have you decreased it, have you simply factored it down, or done something more complex?

Also, are you expecting that this solution will remain, or that it is temporary before it is changed again?
When someone reps you, you get one point for every hundred they have. So, when I had 542 points if I repped you, you'd get 5 points. It was making peoples rep go up too quickly

It was a really difficult call and we have talked about it in moderation and Ive thought about it for over a week now.

I would *love* to reset the reputation and start from scratch... but that wouldn't be fair to those who have been here since the start when it was only little blobs.

Then the site got bigger, more people rep'ed each other(which is great), then i think sonkie got the first star which was a *MAJOR* achievement, but ever since its gone from 1 to 9 stars and it just keeps going up and up and up. Its hit the tipping point and unless something was done its only going to get more insaine.

Pierce

I just wondered how the new rep points have been arrived at - my numbers have dropped from 30 ish to 6 - has everyone's dropped by a factor of 6?

I think it's great that there is a system for recognising valued members. I also love how most Mods have disabled their rep, it shows that they are here for the members IMO

Who has 9 stars?!!!!!! :wow:

Its been factored down, you now need 5 times more reputation points (look at UserCP to see how many points you have) before you get back to where you were. Unfortunatly I do not see this lasting very long and we will be back in this position in the future. The plan is to introduce a new method of providing feedback for good posts that will reduce the amount of rep spread around the forum.

When someone reps you, you get one point for every hundred they have. So, when I had 542 points if I repped you, you'd get 5 points. It was making peoples rep go up too quickly

I couldnt touch the required reputation points to make up a star because everybodys star would have disapeared....

Pierce

thank you - I would rep you, but I guess that's not the point ;)

Thanks for the explanation Pierce, but I see from another thread that you re-set the rep points as you are coming up with another idea, to be revealed on Friday. However, my rep points were 310 and are now 270, so mine haven't been re-set to where they were, can you explain?

I just noticed that mine have gone up again, Yesterday it was 542 then dropped down to 80 and now 409. I'm confused :(

I do agree that it needed sorting out - I use rep for useful, informative and supportive posts, not just directed at me, but when I read something someone else has said to another member and I think it's great.

If you're designing another scheme that rewards that kind of thing, then smashing...I love new, sparkly, fun things :)

Thanks for all your work on maintaining such a brilliant site...

Hellie x

I think it's great that there is a system for recognising valued members. I also love how most Mods have disabled their rep, it shows that they are here for the members IMO

I love this too! I think its great :) Not sure all mods have disabled their rep power though ... :confused:

Oh, oh...someone has mentioned my name.

Rep??? Rep??? What's rep then? :confused:

;)

Yes it might be a bit lower. It was giving an additional 1 reputation point for every 100 posts, I changed it to 1 every 1,000 posts. I will put it back Friday night, I just need some breathing room at the moment on the reputation system.

Pierce

Back