retaining water?

AJB said:
I've had some really good workouts this weekend - kept up with my daily 30 Day Shred and did a Legs/Bums/Tums, Spinning and Body Pump classes :D I love the feeling exercise gives me - so long as it evens out over the month to hit my 7lb target loss I've set myself for June I'll be happy :)

Hi AJB

Wow it sounds like you have been busy! I've decided I am carrying on with my exercise, i love it too much not to! As I get weighed at home I think I'm going to leave it 4 weeks before getting weighed again. My clothes are starting to feel better on me and getting on the scales just disheartens me..!

I'm sooo bloated today and feel 'heavy' been the gym this mornin has well must of drunk a litre of water while I was there. WI tomorrow hope this feeling passes and doesn't mean a gain ¦-/ xxx Lisa

my jillian michaels dvd has arrived! will do my first work out when i have put the kids in bed! stuff the scales i will be happy when my clothes start getting too small! hehe x

nettie said:
my jillian michaels dvd has arrived! will do my first work out when i have put the kids in bed! stuff the scales i will be happy when my clothes start getting too small! hehe x

Enjoy hun! I did it this afternoon and I've just been spinning too... Thinking I might not be able to walk tomorrow!! I will get back into my size 10 jeans one day!! x

Hi AJB

Wow it sounds like you have been busy! I've decided I am carrying on with my exercise, i love it too much not to! As I get weighed at home I think I'm going to leave it 4 weeks before getting weighed again. My clothes are starting to feel better on me and getting on the scales just disheartens me..!

If I could get away with avoiding the scales I would - I'm sticking to plan and working out like a demon - I will not let what I weigh in at on Friday class ruin my mood :p

AJB said:
If I could get away with avoiding the scales I would - I'm sticking to plan and working out like a demon - I will not let what I weigh in at on Friday class ruin my mood :p

Step away from the scales :)
This is the first week since I started SW that I have not been near the scales, WI is tomorrow and I honestly don't know what they are going to say. I gained 1lb last week due to 'water retention'. I have kept up my 3 spin classes a week and pray that it starts to show :-(

I have just started doing c25k and find that I need to double my water intake to reduce water retention, if your body gets too much water it release a hormone that makes you pee more :0) worked wonders for me and dandelion tea! (sp sorry)
I avoid tea and coffee the day after a work out as well

I have just started doing c25k and find that I need to double my water intake to reduce water retention, if your body gets too much water it release a hormone that makes you pee more :0) worked wonders for me and dandelion tea! (sp sorry)
I avoid tea and coffee the day after a work out as well

Defo agree with you - an extra litre of water whilst working out. I also drink green tea with lemon (cos I don't like plain green tea) which is a natural diuretic (sp?) seems to work for me.

Was talkin to the instructor at my boxercise class tonight (who is also a personal trainer) about the wealth of water. He said on the day you have planned exercise at the gym etc try and have 500ml water pre exercise a litre during and 500ml water after. Lisa xxx

I go to the gym quite regular and have just started to do weights as well as cardio (toning!!!)

I found this article, which i think helps to explain a little about when you build up lean muscle and about how beneficial it is due to the calories you can burn!

The percentage of body fat that you are carrying makes a difference in how many calories you burn. Muscle does weigh more than fat, and it also burns calories at a higher rate than fat does. Each pound of muscle burns six calories per day, as opposed to two calories per day for a pound of fat.

Once you have been lifting weights for several weeks, you should begin to notice that your body is changing. You are building up lean muscle and shedding fat. If it doesn't appear on the scale right away, don't get discouraged. If you are losing fat at the same time as you are building muscle, these two values may well cancel each other out - at least at the beginning.

How many calories are burned during weight lifting?

my problem with water and exercise is that after 2 children my bladder isnt what it used to be and i cant hold very much water... maybe im just a bit abnormal.... but even when i drink 500ml i am weeing for england and i dont want to be stopping a workout to go for a wee! i think i need to incorporate pelvic floor exercises into my 30 day shred lol x

my problem with water and exercise is that after 2 children my bladder isnt what it used to be and i cant hold very much water... maybe im just a bit abnormal.... but even when i drink 500ml i am weeing for england and i dont want to be stopping a workout to go for a wee! i think i need to incorporate pelvic floor exercises into my 30 day shred lol x

I am always going to the loo - as do my other water drinking colleagues. Its a passing joke now!!! x:p

I go to the gym quite regular and have just started to do weights as well as cardio (toning!!!)

I found this article, which i think helps to explain a little about when you build up lean muscle and about how beneficial it is due to the calories you can burn!

The percentage of body fat that you are carrying makes a difference in how many calories you burn. Muscle does weigh more than fat, and it also burns calories at a higher rate than fat does. Each pound of muscle burns six calories per day, as opposed to two calories per day for a pound of fat.

Once you have been lifting weights for several weeks, you should begin to notice that your body is changing. You are building up lean muscle and shedding fat. If it doesn't appear on the scale right away, don't get discouraged. If you are losing fat at the same time as you are building muscle, these two values may well cancel each other out - at least at the beginning.

How many calories are burned during weight lifting?

thanks for that hun, its very interesting how the body works but reassuring that its doing what it should be doing when the losses arent showing on the scales x

yeah, a little bit gutting sometimes if you are a gym bunny and gain or STS but in the long term - you are getting fitter, and will be toning and losing inches - so sometimes, its not all about the scales, its all about the tape measure!!! hehe!

If you are shredding i would advise you to take all your measurements and then at the 10, 20 and 30 day points remeasure. I know people who have lost a LOT of inches thanks to the almighty Jillian M!!!!

x

i will do measurements tonight, today will be my 3rd day in, im am so sore this morning but keep telling myself its worth it!
i also did 15 minutes on my twirly board thing... i dont know what they are called... you know you stand on them and twist side to side? lol
i also have a vibro plate at home so did 15 minutes on there whilst reading my book!

arrrr stayed the same again!! Hope it evens out soon because got no patience with it!! Gonna keep at it and hopefully it will pay off in the next couple of weeks, cant go a month with no losses!! :cry::cry::cry:

yeah, a little bit gutting sometimes if you are a gym bunny and gain or STS but in the long term - you are getting fitter, and will be toning and losing inches - so sometimes, its not all about the scales, its all about the tape measure!!! hehe!

If you are shredding i would advise you to take all your measurements and then at the 10, 20 and 30 day points remeasure. I know people who have lost a LOT of inches thanks to the almighty Jillian M!!!!

x

This is so true! I've started a 30 Day Shred group at work and there's been a lot of whinging about weight gain - so glad that I made them measure beforehand cos low and behold 12 days in and the inches are dropping off :D

AJB said:
This is so true! I've started a 30 Day Shred group at work and there's been a lot of whinging about weight gain - so glad that I made them measure beforehand cos low and behold 12 days in and the inches are dropping off :D

It's a fab feeling isn't it! I managed to put my gain behind me and focus on my measurements... Today I had a pair of jeans and a tight'ish t shirt on that I would never have been able to wear 4 weeks ago! Still not been on the scales and I don't intend to for another 3 weeks!

Keep up the good work Hun x

Back