Rhubarb query, please help

tara40

Loves Norman Reedus
I am a bit confused as in the Superfree food it states that Rhubarb is a "ss" food, but you cant it eat raw, (is this correct) so you have to cook it and then it becomes syn food, so does that mean it is no longer "ss" if it has a syn value. i am so confused. :wave_cry:

Rhubarb is one of the very few fruits you can cook and not have syns attached. Its all water with hardly any calories and can't be eaten raw so I would class it as a vegetable. If you cook it with sugar you have to syn that though!

It does say in my handbook that it's 0.5 syns for 198g of stewed rhubarb(without sugar). I'd be really interested to know as I got a few sticks in my veg box today and am sooo looking forward to eating it!!!

I think that is is probably still SS after cooking because of the high water content but youa re right that it has a small syn value even when stewed without sugar. This is possbly because the natural sugar is concentrated when it is cooked.

I stew mine up with sweetner, cinnamon and ginger and then have it with a Muller Light Banana & Custard. It's so yummy.

Last edited:
I think that is is probably still SS after cooking because of the high water content but youa re right that it has a small syn value even when stewed without sugar. This is possbly because the natural sugar is concentrated when it is cooked.

but thats what i cannot understand, it's "SS" when raw, when you cannot eat it, yet it's synned when you make it edible.

Rhubarb

Rhubarb shouldn't be eaten raw as it is a bit poisonous. It is a vegetable, so it should be fine as long you don't overdo it. Also if you eat rhubarb your body won't absorb any calcium during that day, make sure you have more the day before or after.

Back