Rice Cookers

mick360

Hi anyone else got a Asda rice Cooker the £10 one, got it last night so can use more healthy brown rice and first attempt was disappointing to say the least, any tips? can I add spices and peas sweetcorn before cooking?
Any help appreciated

Don't have the ASDA one but, much as i love my rice cooker, there are some types of rice that don't really work, I have found. Maybe brown rice falls into this category? I have tried on occasion to eat brown rice but I don't know if I'm cooking it right or what, I can never get it to taste "cooked", whether I use a rice cooker or not.
We buy a massive bag of white rice from the Asian superstore and use our rice cooker - it works a treat. It's soooo good and so handy. I did try googling types of rice and how to cook them once, but I got so overwhelmed and confused. I don't know what type of rice it is that we buy, I just go by the colour of the bag now lol.
Hope someone more knowledgable comes along and helps you out...
I have never had brown rice out / in a restaurant so I don't even know what it should taste like. But my experiements with it have been pretty dismal.

I love brown rice but it is a total different texture.
the thing with rice cookers is that it thinks it knows the rice is cooked because of the weight etc as it swells up, but with brown rice it takes a lot longer to cook it.
Try again, but use less rice & when it says cooked, if the rice is still dense, put more water in and put it back on for 10 mins.

Hope that works for you - i love my rice cooker (BTW - i always cook more rice than needed, then whens its cooked, bag it up & freeze it so you've got a ready supply for another day!)

I have a microwave rice cooker from Lakeland and it works like a dream all the time. if anyone is thinking of getting one, get the red one because there is an ongoing fault with the clear version cracking.

Sorry I can't help with your particular problem. I agree that brown rice is a completely different thing to white rice and can seem strange if you are not used to it.

I think brown rice is a bit of an acquired taste, if you're not used to it! I don't know about rice cookers, I'm afraid, but it does need to be cooked a lot longer than white rice - usually about 40 minutes.

I love my rice cooker...couldn't live without it as hubby eats rice most days (he's Jamaican).

I use Basmati rice though not brown rice and I buy it by the 20kilo sack from Asian supermarkets. I also cook West Indian rice and peas in it and when cooking plain rice I add vegetables to it to make it a bit different....sometimes put a quarter teaspoon of turmeric in to give it the lovely yellow colour.

Wonderful inventions they are! :worthy:

I have a tefal rice cooker, and wouldn't be without it. You can buy Pilau rice seasoning for authentic indian rice without the fat!!

I have a tefal rice cooker, and wouldn't be without it. You can buy Pilau rice seasoning for authentic indian rice without the fat!!

Ooh that sounds good. Where did you get it from. What brand name is is & is it free???

I just use a pan and follow the cooking instructions. Not much room for yet another kitchen gadget;)

I do occasionally have brown/wholemeal rice for the lower GI content and extra fibre, but that's not to say white rice is bad for you:cool:

I buy white basmati rice from Aldi and cook it as per their microwave instructions. Turns out absolutely perfect without fail. Five and a half minutes on high (850w microwave) and stand for 10. Don't rinse it first but it doesn't go remotely stodgy and separates and fluffs up lovely.

Back