Red Day Rich beef stew and celeriac mash

in view of the latest postings about the 'new improved' Smash needing to be syned, its probably best to use some other brand of instant potato that hasn't been 'improved' (see post about potato scones to read about it)

Made this earlier, the recipe from the 'month of easy family meals' booklet that came with this month's SW magazine, and all I can say is 'wow'!!! :D I have never had celeriac mash before, and even before I added the flavourings I was hooked! Nutty, light, comforting, warm - omg, is it possible to be in love with a food item (well apart from cheese, natch!)

The stew has tons of flavour too, though of course I'd prefer it thickened, but apart from that it was gorgeous. However the celeriac mash was a total revelation and may be one of the nicest things I've ever eaten :)
I made this last week and it was lovely.I also felt it needed thickening so I turned the heat up and reduced it to the required consistency ( completely 'pukka' and syn free thickening,lol).
Also going to give the celeriac chippys a go..should make a nice change to spuds:D

Thank you for this - couldn't find celeriac (out of season, maybe?), so am doing some garlic and thyme potato wedges in the airfryer instead. Stew smells lovely...and my hands smell of thyme, which is a bonus!

i love stews so will trying this now winter is here

Back