Risotto with beans and vegetables

vijch50

I found this recipe when I needed to use up some leftovers and it was delicious! Thought I would share - measurements in US cups however 10PP per serving
Takes about 40 minutes start to finish but worth it!!

3 cups mushroom, chicken or vegetable broth
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 whole onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup arborio (risotto) rice
1 cup finely chopped courgette
1 cup finely chopped carrots
1 15 oz can cannelli beans
1 0z grated parmesan cheese

1.In a medium saucepan bring broth to boiling, reduce heat and simmer until needed. Meanwhile in a large non stick saucepan cook mushrooms, onion and garlic in hot oil over medium heat about 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Add uncooked rice. Cook and stir about 5 minutes until rice is golden brown.

2. Slowly add 1 cup of the broth to the rice mixture, stirring constantly. Continue to cook and stir until liquid is absorbed. Add another 1/2 cup of the broth, the courgette and carrots to the rice mixture, stirring constantly . Continue to cook and stir until liquid is absorbed. Add another 1 cup of broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until the broth is absorbed. This should table about 20 minutes.

3. Stir the remaining 1/2 cup broth into rice mixture, Cook and stir until rice is slightly creamy and just tender. Stir in beans and parmesan and heat through

This serves 4 (ample servings) and freezes well

Back