Run out of funds

soontobefatfree

Hi there

I've just lost my job and can no longer afford to go to LL but am desperate not to put on all the weight I've lost.

Can anyone out there give me some tips/advise that is used in route to management? I understand that portion size must be smaller and no junk food but how to I eat healthy without piling it back on?

Thanks so much

Really sorry to hear about your job. I hope you find something new soon.

The key things for me when I'm successfully maintaining (which I have done since January apart from a couple of planned-ish blips!) is to avoid refined carbs (they're real trigger foods for me), limit alcohol (gives me the munchies, is high in sugars and reduces my self control!) and don't eat too much dairy. Also portion sizes - I use smaller plates and bowls than I used to. Try putting a "normal" bowl of soup out, and then pour it into a smaller bowl. You may be surprised! Oh, and also drinking loads of water too - and asking myself when I think I'm peckish, is this real hunger, or emotional hunger, or am I just thirsty?

It really works for me. I hope someone else can come along with good tips for you too! Best of luck.

Thanks Spanglymum for your tips! I am so scared that I will lapse into old habits!

What carbs are refined ones? Will I be able to eat wholegrain pasta and rice within reason? Maybe once a day?

I don't drink so that should be easy and am not a huge diary fan and have gotten used to not having tea or coffee with milk. Would fat free yoghurts be ok?

Thanks so much, keep up the good work!

Whole grains are best, yes, although I limit wheat in all it's forms as it doesn't agree with me. Brown rice is great! Refined carbs are things like sugar and flour. They make my blood sugar levels peak and dip like mad - and then when it dips I get the munchies!! It may not be the same for you though. Good luck.

I know it's duanting to have to carry on with real food instead of packs - but just think what you will learn along the way, and you will be re-educating your tastebuds too! I wish you all the best.

Thanks Spanglymum and lass321.

I have 3 more days of packs left then going to go it alone.

I am aiming to keep carbs to a minimum and if I do eat them I will go for brown or wholegrain alternatives.

I am determined to keep on losing weight and change my habits! Let's hope I cab put the theory into practice :)

Thanks Spanglymum and lass321.

I have 3 more days of packs left then going to go it alone.

I am aiming to keep carbs to a minimum and if I do eat them I will go for brown or wholegrain alternatives.

I am determined to keep on losing weight and change my habits! Let's hope I cab put the theory into practice :)

I am sorry about your job. :( And having to stop LL.

You have 3 days packs - thats 12 packs....I would suggest you start refeeding now, and use 2 packs and 1 meal and snack, or something like that - that is part of RTM - coming off packs gradually. Its not ideal, but its better then going back straight to 3 meals a day?

Also, consider Exante, which is half the cost of LL...you could get a months supply for 99 pound if you can afford that, and you could use that for RTM purposes, adhoc. Or even a weeks packs at about 35 quid....just some ideas.

Good luck. :)

Here is a great thread that goes through the refeeding schedule of Route to Management - it is a GREAT resource....have a look and try to follow it as close as humanly possible.

If not careful, with even the best intentions, the weight can come back on quicly going from abstinance to food - but with careful consideration and planning you can minimise this. :)

Hope this helps.

xx

Thanks for the link blondelogic.

I'm now following the Dukan diet which is high protein and low carbs which is very similar to what it suggests in your link!

Hopefully following the Dukan diet will keep me on the straight and narrow whilst focusing on what I can and should eat!

Day 1 has gone well and I don't feel like I'm out of control or deprived which is a great feeling.

I'm writing a diary in the Dukan section on here to keep me motivated and on the straight and narrow, all I need to do now is cross my fingers and keep my hands busy :)

Back