Running and not losing weight

rjg123

Silver Member
Ive just switched over to SW as I was doing ww and all was going well then I started training for a 10k (running 14 - 20 miles a week) and my weight loss stopped completely, for 4 weeks.
It got me quite p'ed off with it and fell off the wagon a bit.
I felt I needed a fresh start to keep me motivated!

Has anyone else had the same thing or is it me??

Ive suddenly got lots of comments from people from work noticing ive lossed weight but this is since my weight has plateaud, i think I ma more toned but it is so frustrating when Im paying to be weighed in each week and its staying the same. Got my first WI on SW tomorrow and am really nervous.

Rant over - any ideas gratefully received!

Rach

I'd say increase your cals by 100 or 200 if you're still training, I know it sounds loopy but try it for a week, your body needs the extra or it will hold on to weight for dear life because it's the way we're designed.

Thanks for responding. I have been thinking it may be that - just feels so against what Im trying to do. Will try to add some 'healthy' extra calories to my diet.

The 'I think i'm more toned' bit says to me that you've put on muscle. Initially your weight can plateau because you've lost weight but put on muscle. I think sometimes it can't be all about the scales. Take some thigh measurements and see how you are in a few weeks. Give it time aswell and the weight will drop off again, if you continue to eat healthily aswell x

with sw you can eat more which should give you enough fuel to run, ww really if your very active you do need to use some activity points or your body will store

Yes, agree with those above, you've probably been losing inches without losing pounds!

I don't know much about how WW works but SW will allow you to eat plenty of healthy foods to keep your body going - it can go into starvation mode when you exercise to much for what you've eaten, particularly if there's a change from how much you've exercised before.

I'm finding the same on SW, feel better and more toned but little in the way of weight loss and even little in the way of inch loss, it seems to all be coming off my thighs, which isn't a bad thing :)

but I agree, it is disheartening. I've got some of those body fat scales in the house and jumped on them today, just out of interest, and it says I'm 35% body fat, can't remember what it was when I started but think it was in the region of 42% - RESULT!!

wish now that I'd recorded that with weight and inches......

hindsight is always 20/20 though

Yep I've been on a 20week training programme in prep or my first half marathon next Sunday and I have maintained the same weight although I'd still like to lose some lbs. But on the other side I've had a fair few comments asking me of I've lost weight but it's down to the massive change in body shape.

I to run 14-20miles a week and the change in body shape is phenomenal so although your not losing lbs you're probably losing inches and toning up (it might take you a while to see it but stick at it :)) x

well done summergurl running used to really be my thing but ive put weight on and feel so sluggish now i just need a kick up the backside. Did you wait til you had lost some weight down to diet before you went out running or take the wobbble out with u?

Nope I waited untill I lost the weight and even then it took me around 6months to decide I wanted to try running.

If you feel sluggish that's probably to do with the type of foods your eating.

What diet, if any are you doing?
Do you plan to get running again? Xx

Ive just switched over to SW as I was doing ww and all was going well then I started training for a 10k (running 14 - 20 miles a week) and my weight loss stopped completely, for 4 weeks.
It got me quite p'ed off with it and fell off the wagon a bit.
I felt I needed a fresh start to keep me motivated!

Has anyone else had the same thing or is it me??

Ive suddenly got lots of comments from people from work noticing ive lossed weight but this is since my weight has plateaud, i think I ma more toned but it is so frustrating when Im paying to be weighed in each week and its staying the same. Got my first WI on SW tomorrow and am really nervous.

Rant over - any ideas gratefully received!

Rach

Hi I know EXACTLY how you are feeling!! I just posted on the weight watchers section of this website..over the past 2/3 weeks ive switched all my exercise to jogging- working harder than ever. week one i stay the same and the second i week i PUT ON 2 POUNDS!! I am not eating anymore and sticking to the weight watchers points religiously as ever. Bearing in mind i loose on average 2 pounds every week this is VERY dissapointing and disheartening for me! :cry:

I have heard and hope it is probably true that it is in fact muscle weight...but does anyone know when this will infact lead back onto weight loss?? Bearing in mind i have another 4 stone to loose- this is very important to me..

Will be extremely grateful for any ideas or help :)

If you are building muscle (bear in mind muscle doesnt weigh more than fat - impossible!!) then all you are doing is converting the fat in your body into muscle so you are staying the same weight etc.

However, i dont think plans such as ww/sw etc are very when coupled with hardcore exercise. You really need to be watching calories when exercising and knowing how much you burn off as if you are creating a massive calorie deficit then you arent going to lose any weight whatsoever.

Look into the bmr calculator which will tell you how many calories you need a day to maintain (at the weight you are now) and then reduce it by 500 a day to lose 1lb per week and by 1000 a day to lose 2lbs per week but defo defo defo do not go below 1,200 so if reducing by 1000cals a day takes you below 1,200 then don't do it no matter what.

And if you exercise, you need to still be making sure you're getting those calories with the right foods and right amounts etc.

Hope this makes sense lol x

That's absolute rubbish that you are 'converting fat into muscle'. Fat and muscle are completely different entities and are NOT interchangeable.

Yes, 1kg of fat weighs the same as 1kg of muscle, but size wise the muscle is smaller as it is a lot more dense than fat is. Therefore if you lose 5lbs of fat and gain 5lbs of muscle, overall you will be smaller and leaner despite remaining the same actual weight. You lose and gain fat, you don't change it into something else. Fat is fat. Muscle is muscle.

Sorry, my bad, but no need to jump down my throat.

It's the illusion that when you tone up you turn fat into muscle but obv I know they are two different things and the point I was trying to make - you maybe doing lots & exercise and not seeing results on the scales but if you whip out a tape measure your bound to see results.

Last edited:
Back