Running Form..

laurenmay

Gold Member
I need a lot of help with this. I've recently started running, and am following the C210K programme. I've suffered a few injuries through running over the past few months, including pain in knee joints, shin splints and a severely sprained ankle and torn ligaments.

I've got correct fitting running shoes, after purchasing three or four pairs and finally settling on asics gel (can't remember the code).. I stretch before running and stretch after the run, I also warm up and cool down.

The only thing I could think may be the problem is my running form. I run with my head up facing in front of me and my arms at waist level. But my natural running form is to land at the heel of my foot and roll forward to the toe, but I find when I run this way it burns my legs, especially my calves like crazy and it's quite painful and I feel like my legs have turned to jelly and can't run any further..

I've been trying to run landing midfoot to forefoot, and this is a little more comfortable but then causes me to under pronate and this is how I've developed nasty shin splints.

Does anybody have any advice? It's really getting me down that I so badly want to run but am forever injuring myself :(

Landing on the heel and rolling forward is the way I've been taught to run! Make sure you are stretching lots after your run as well(I also stretch after my warm-up) google correct running form and you should be able to watch a video!! Good luck!!xx

r2lilien said:
Landing on the heel and rolling forward is the way I've been taught to run! Make sure you are stretching lots after your run as well(I also stretch after my warm-up) google correct running form and you should be able to watch a video!! Good luck!!xx

It is more natural for me to run that way, maybe I should try taking shorter strides rather than longer ones? I must be doing something wrong to be in so much pain all the time! :( even now my left shin is throbbing and painful when I walk. I think I'll take a look at some videos tonight and see what I'm doing wrong! Thanks :) xx

Might be an idea to have gait analysis done. Most running shops offer this for a small fee. That way they can advise you on technique.

laurenmay said:
It is more natural for me to run that way, maybe I should try taking shorter strides rather than longer ones? I must be doing something wrong to be in so much pain all the time! :( even now my left shin is throbbing and painful when I walk. I think I'll take a look at some videos tonight and see what I'm doing wrong! Thanks :) xx

Thats alright chick! Maybe still shin splints!! Make sure you ice your shins if they are sore! It might be a good idea to go to a GP just to double check! If it is a stress fracture, you could worsen the injury if you continue to run on it!!

Another tip for shin splints is to not run on pavement! Stick to as much grass/dirt as possible! Xxx

I had pains when I started C25K - sometimes sore muscles, sometimes sore shins, sometimes sore knees - but don't suffer with them at the moment, it's got better with time/training. If you think you might have an injury then definitely get it checked out though.

I'm hoping the pains will ease with more training and when my body starts adjusting to running. It could very well be that I'm just not used to it, plus I'm 3 stone overweight for my small height and that is more than likely causing a lot of strain on my joints.. Shin is still quite sore this morning, throbbing when it's still and when I walk or climb up & down the stairs its quite painful, hoping it'll get better soon so I can run again!

Back