running. how do i start?

fortyandfat

is crazy
hi all. i am thinking of starting up running. atm i dont think i would be able to run a hundred yards without passing out but i do walk as fast as i can (without looking stupid) when i have dropped my little one off at nursery and pick her up which is about half a mile each way and when i get home i feel good!
but how do i start? maybe a silly question but do i just start jogging? or do i walk then jog? and when i have pushed myself to the limit how do i get home? :8855:
i will have about an hour a day to do it.

They say you should start out with interval training, running for a minute then walking for a few and gradually increase the running periods. It's HARD at first! I can only just about manage 7 mins non stop and it very nearly kills me lol

They say you should start out with interval training, running for a minute then walking for a few and gradually increase the running periods. It's HARD at first! I can only just about manage 7 mins non stop and it very nearly kills me lol
i just went for my first run around my local park and had no choice but to do interval training lol. was jogging for 1 minute then walking fast for one minute or so untill i felt ready to run again. only lasted 20 minutes but hey its a start and i feel great now that i have my breath back :8855:

Interval is definitely the best way to start. One minute Run then One minute walk you can then build this up to 2 mins...3 mins etc. This trains your body to recover it's self. Another way I use to improve is to use markers and set yourself small goals...if you get to the phonebox on your first run, try heading to the next house after that...then the lampost...the smaller goals make it more achievable.

Also, don't run too fast. I think a common mistake people make is to head off on a sprint and then wonder why they are shattered after 30 seconds!! The guy I train with says 'It doesn't matter how long it takes to get there, just get there!'

Equip yourself with comfy trainers, a decent sports bra, lots of water and lots of funky music to get you going.

I've been running since February, I absolutely love it. I started out not being able to run for even a minute without stopping, and now i'm running 10k without dying!!

Let me know how you are getting on :) Gem xx

Try the couch to 5K programme. There's a whole thread about it, and you can find the link here: Couch to 5k - C25K Running Program
There are also podcasts for it, which really help because they give you the times to run or walk.

I've been running for about 4 weeks now. I started off at the gym, walk 1 min, run 1 min. At first I only did about 3 of these, then I worked up to 10 of them, and now I run for 1.5min, walk for 1-2 min (so week 2 of the plan).
It's HARD, I have to tell you - but worthwhile.
When I'm running it starts off OK, but as it goes on, I feel like every step is my last! But when it gets hard, I tell myself that it's only pain, I've had two kids, it doesn't hurt that much!
And then I picture that Jillian women from Biggest Loser yelling things like
"Don't you DARE stop!"
"Let GO of the treadmill!"
"If you hold onto that treadmill, you'll do 5 more minutes!"
And that kind of does the trick! LOL

Back