Running.....

I'm running on grass and through woods. I must admit I'm not doing any stretches only a warm up walk. Also don't have running trainers
Ek! And I'm. Surprised I've got pain. Opps

smartie831 said:
Fab! Which ones did you go for. I need to get some ASAP. As my shins were hurting yesterday :eek:s

Hi I'm new start diet today but saw your post on running .
Like yourself I've got shin splints, I would recommend getting a gait analysis done most running shops do it for free . I didn't at first and ended up damaging my knees . Did the gait analysis now use mizuno nirvana They are great loads of cushioning and the support is in the right place and my legs are fine .

If you die of shock at the prices on the trainers get the recommendation then buy online .

ascics (think thats how you spell it) do a good (lots of reviews online) and cheap range of running trainers! i went for nike shocks tho as my friend runs for a team and she recommended them, plus they look snazzy lol x

I did it!!!!!! My very first run!! I am doing to couch to 5k, plan......and just got back. Just about managed it, am very very unfit so am pleased! I too went to a proper running shop, and spent nearly an hour in there, having my gait, in step, (little run, which was recorded on a treadmill - to see how I landed etc) I spent £65 on a pair, but do have back and hip problems, so really didnt want to do more harm than good!

Will let you know tomorrow, if I can still actually walk! Rest day tomorrow, so next run is wednesday!

xxxx

Well done on your first run! I did the second run of week 2 today and my legd are very sore tonight. I really struggled with it but kept going. I ran yesterday too and two days in a row is not recommended,(i can feel why now), but it's the only way i could fit all 3 runs in. I must say i really look forward to it now. Hate it while i'm doing it, but feel great when i've finished!

Well done on your run .. I crazily ran the Brighton marathon in April , signed up after a bit too many glasses of wine and paid the price . I couldn't run 100yds without stopping and moaning when I started ,after 3 months I was running 9 miles .

So it is achievable to go from nothing to running for 90 mins non stop .
However I have made up for it after sat on my backside ate loads drank like a fish and piled on the weight and can barely get round a mile now without feeling I'm going to die . My husband is a proper runner his advice was to keep a log to show your achievement .

Oooooh thats a good idea! Is there a special site for logging progress, or I could do it on here, in a diary, see if ithelps with my weight at all! Feel a little stiff ish today, but was on a night last night, so only just got up.....will hopefully be ok for tomorrows! xxxx

Asics.co.uk is good you can map out your runs as well and create a program to follow . I managed to get off my backside today . Mostly walked but made it round . You'll be fine tomorrow. It can become obsessive. There are 5k and 10k races you can work towards .

lovelyzobo said:
Oooooh thats a good idea! Is there a special site for logging progress, or I could do it on here, in a diary, see if ithelps with my weight at all! Feel a little stiff ish today, but was on a night last night, so only just got up.....will hopefully be ok for tomorrows! xxxx

My 3rd attempt at posting this stupid tablet ! Asics has a good website you can plan map out your runs . Create a program . Runners world is another one , you can find a race . You'll be fine tomorrow ,one day at a time and celebrate each run because it is an achievement .

right got me trainers! starting couch to 5k programme this week, watch this space i am a bit scared really!!! lol x

Go on Charly xxx

right i ran my first run on the couch to 5k plan yesterday! was surprised how hard it actually was to run for 60 seconds ... LOL! i had a rest today (mainly because i was up at 5.45 this morning for work) so planning on run two tomorrow (am up a little later .. 6.30 and then more work) after work! i dont expect this to help me loose weight i want it to get healthy and fit and i wld love to be able to run 5k xx who wouldnt??? xx

YAY WELL DONE CHARLY! It will definitely do the healthy and fit bit if you stick with it. My resting pulse is now just under 60 bps which is good, and I'm past 40 ;-) I ran 5.3k in about 28 minutes today, and unlike Thursday night, no walking!

thats brilliant!! xx

This is probably going to sound daft, but I don't know where to run!!! I have downloaded the apps, worked out an asics plan but the idea of walking out of the door and just running scares me, the idea that someone can see me LOL, I am kind of worried that I won't know how far to run and all of a sudden I will be in the middle of a street x min away and it takes longer to get back. One of the reasons I hate walking as I can't just walk for the sake of it, there has to be a reason or a place to get to.

Anyone thats downloaded the apps, does the speaker tell you when you are at the half way point so you can then turn round?

Where to run:
Where you feel comfortable / local park / local streets / where there is less traffic fumes / where it's better lit / etc, the choice is yours. The podcasts I used did tell me when I was about half way. It also told me to start with what was coming up ("this week we will jog for 5 minutes then walk for 3, then jog for 5" -btw I made these numbers up) I started with walking to the park (5 mins warm-up), then running round the park as instructed (it does get boring going round in circles), and then 5 mins walk back. As I progressed I gradually got a feel for what distances I would cover. I did some 'out and back' type routes where at the half-way I would just turn round and go back the way I came.If you are still too far away from home you are walking with a purpose - to cool down after your run. you dont' just get off the couch and run, and stop outside your door and sit down again. You need to warm up and cool down and the easiest is some 5 minutes brisk walking - the podcasts should include that.

And don't worry about people seeing you - they will probably be impressed. If you're worried about making eye contact either ignore them and if they ask you later tell them you didn't see them / you were so focused on getting to the end of your run (this might well be true, happened to me). Or wear sunglasses (ok maybe not so appropriate in the winter!)

I've just started running again..and I don't want to be sen by anyone! I drive to a footpath or walk way, set my clock and run out and back. I'm only on 10 mins out and then 10 mins back to the car, but I've not been spotted by a neighbour or friend yet! If you live out in the country it is so much easier to find a nice, quiet empty area to run than living in a town.

But stay safe xxx

going out to nowhere would seriously freak me....yes I want to remain invisible but am convincing myself that even if people see me, strangers this is LOL, I will only be in their eyesight for a few seconds.

Did anyone ever see the 'Friends' episode where Rachel and Pheobe go running, and Phoebe runs with her arms and legs all over the place.....she told Rachel so what if I run like that, I don't care what people think I'm never gonna see them again. I just need to remember that LOL

going out to nowhere would seriously freak me....yes I want to remain invisible but am convincing myself that even if people see me, strangers this is LOL, I will only be in their eyesight for a few seconds.

Did anyone ever see the 'Friends' episode where Rachel and Pheobe go running, and Phoebe runs with her arms and legs all over the place.....she told Rachel so what if I run like that, I don't care what people think I'm never gonna see them again. I just need to remember that LOL
that makes me want to run like that now lol x

Back