running

I just found out that Sweatshop (running gear retailer) do free runs! 5k runs every week at my local store for free and u get free incentives depending in how many weeks you keep going.

Hmmm!

There are free 5k runs every Saturday morning too nationally, check out the website - parkrun UK

I'm hopefully gonna do one soon when I finished the C25K! - exciting!!

There are free 5k runs every Saturday morning too nationally, check out the website - parkrun UK

I'm hopefully gonna do one soon when I finished the C25K! - exciting!!

Yeah I'm signed up to park run, but it's early in morning so I can't always go due to work :) also I have to pay £3 for parking to go to my one! Bit annoying! Too far to walk and definitely wouldn't wanna run there!

I really think I would enjoy running and I've heard such good things about the C25K programme but I'm scared cos I'm so heavy and unfit :(

I weigh more than you, I was 17st 11lbs and the only exercise I did was walking up stairs to bed. I started the C25K and would definitely recommend it for someone who has no fitness level. I did have to stop doing it as I was getting terrible pains in my knees but I started going to the gym instead and I use the machines there. I have had bad knees since I was a child and they play up every now and again. Give it a go! Your son could help you whilst your out on your daily walks ;)

I'm into my third week of C25K and really enjoying it. I'm 50 in a fortnight and have never had any stamina or been able to run... even at school I used to avoid anything too strenuous in PE!!! I decided that I want to be fifty and fit, not fifty and fat. I'm quite an active person anyway as I have four horses but with two stone (at least!) to shift, I wanted to do something alongside SW so I decided to sign up for a Race for Life in July, which has given me the incentive and motivation to stick to the training schedule. I can't believe that I really enjoy it because it is total achievable! I did my first three minute run on Saturday and had no faith that the training so far would put me in good stead for this.... how wrong I was! Who'd have thought!!!! I honestly can't recommend it highly enough.... so far ;)

Can I just ask, how do you manage to run 90 seconds, walk 2 minutes etc, etc without constantly looking at your watch/phone?
This has always stopped me doing this kind of plan!

Can I just ask, how do you manage to run 90 seconds, walk 2 minutes etc, etc without constantly looking at your watch/phone?

I listen to the pod cast on my ipod she just tells me when to walk, when to run gives little bits of info on technique etc plus plays music too. I find it great! In every day life I don't do well at all with being told what to do! But somehow on this it works!

I started running in September, just a little... I ran for 2 minutes walked for 2 minutes ect... then upped the running time and lowered the walking time, I ran my first half marathon in March and love running. I wouldn't run every day though as you need to have rest days

I have an app on my phone (runkeeper) which allows you to set your intervals, and a nice lady tells you when to start running, when to stop, etc :)

I done C25K last year and loved it... now I need to get back out there, and Monday it is. I uses the NHS pod casts and found them good. Now I use runkeeper just to track how far I go.. In still trying to hit the 5k mark... Once I do that in going to see if there is a local running group I can join. X

I can't find "run double" on the apple app store - is that the full name?

I'm a sucker for an app :D

Try searching for couch 2 5k & it might come up with it - I think rundouble is the company that made it. Mines an android phone too but Id have thought it would be on apple. Im sure there will be similar other ones if thats not there x

There's a guy who's made podcasts for the C25K plan. The music isn't too bad and it changes each week. It's a good beat to do your brisk walk to in between the running parts too....

Couch to 5k - C25K Running Program

I also have Endomondo on my Blackberry so I switch them both on, put my ears in and away I go.....

Last edited:
Thats the one I use aswell, you can play your own music & you just get told what to do which I prefer. Highly recommend it x

That sounds really good but can't find it for Window Phone :(

For those worrying about other people seeing them out running, someone once told me that there are 2 categories of people - runners and non-runners. When the runners see you they think - 'god - look at her our running - I wish I was out running' and the non-runners think 'god, look at her out running - I wish I could run'

It really helps me when I feel all hot and sweaty and beetroot like!

I am running the Flora womens mini-marathon in Dublin on Monday - its a 10k and I am so excited!!

Back