Safety of Cambridge USA Diet?

Oinkstop

Does anyone know much about the long-term safety of the USA version of the Cambridge Diet?

Unlike the way the UK version is sold, one doesn't necessarily end up with a counselor if you are buying in the United States. I bought my shakes from an Internet site, and as far as I'm aware, there isn't a Cambridge counselor within 100 miles of me.

I've noticed that quite a few UK folks are doing Sole Source for 12 weeks or even longer, yet the instructions with the USA version say you shouldn't go more than 2 weeks at a time unless you are under close medical supervision.

I'd really like to lose a bunch of weight, and I think staying strictly on the shakes would work for me, but I don't want to end up doing something terrible to my health.

I don't have the luxury of going to my doctor and asking about it, since here in the USA we don't have socialized medicine, so every doctor's visit costs money, and I try to avoid going in unless I'm really sick.

I've noticed that quite a few UK folks are doing Sole Source for 12 weeks or even longer, yet the instructions with the USA version say you shouldn't go more than 2 weeks at a time unless you are under close medical supervision.

Yes, the rules are different in the US concerning VLCDs, but I know of USa'ers who do SS for more than 2 weeks. No idea whether they are doing it under medical supervision, but...bet a lot of them aren't;)

The packs are different to the UK ones, so have no idea as to the safety of doing SS for more than 2 weeks. Sorry :(

Is there any way to get a copy of the nutritional information for the UK recipe? All the cans/packets of the USA mix contain fairly detailed nutritional info.

For example one serving of the USA Strawberry shake contains:

Calories: 140
Calories from Fat: 15

Total Fat: 1.5g (2% of US RDA)
Saturated Fat: 0g
Trans Fat: 0g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 500mg (21% of US RDA)
Potassium: 810mg (23% of US RDA)
Total Carbohydrate: 16g (5% of US RDA)
Dietary Fiber: 3g (10% of US RDA)
Sugars: 13g
Protein: 17g

The label also goes on to list the percentages of the US RDA (Recommended Daily Allowance) for a long list of vitamins. Looks like the label claims each serving offers 35% of each of the recommended vitamins and minerals.

What I really wonder about is if the 2-week limit was put up to protect the USA Cambridge people from being sued (because everyone knows how lawsuit-happy Americans are) or it there's genuinely a safety issue involved.

Yes, that helps a lot. Thanks! It seems that the US and UK versions are very similar. The US version has a bit more protein (17g vs 14.4g), carbs (16g vs 14.1g), fat (1.5g vs 0.5g) and calories (140 vs 138) per serving, so I'm not sure why it's considered safe to Sole Source for extended periods and not do the same with the US product.

My guess is that Cambridge USA must have been sued at some point, and they are trying to avoid liability from sue-happy Americans.

VLCD's like Cambridge Diet, Lighter Life and Lipotrim are all done through a counsellor/Pharmacist/Doctor or in combination.

The NICE Guidance on Obesity, issued in
December 2006, stipulated that those who choose to
follow a daily diet of less than 600 kcals/day should
do so under clinical supervision. Your Counsellor
is therefore required to notify your doctor that you
have chosen to start the Sole Source programme,
which provides no more than 550 kcals on four
sachets. Your doctor may choose to follow up on
this notification.

http://www.cambridge-diet.co.uk/brochures/solesource.pdf

Love Mini xxx

Back