Sainsbury's be good to yourself egg mayo not syn free!

room512

Hi everyone. I took the egg mayo to class last night to tell everyone it was syn free and my consultant has just contacted me to say it was an error and it's actually 1 syn per tablespoon. The website's been amended now. Didn't know if anyone was eating it regularly or not.

Crikey, it's taken them a long time to notice! I used to eat a fair bit of this when it was "free". Definitely won't be now. Thanks for the heads up.

Thats lucky i was just going to get some :(

Thanks for posting this!! I had some last week, glad I didn't get too hooked ;) I used to LOVE the sainsburys chick pea dhal that was free, now 22 syns on green boohoo!

Oh no!! I just bought some at lunchtime! LOL! Good job I've not started eating it yet. I have had two tubs over the past couple of weeks, so not excessive amounts...but 1 syn per tbsp is quite a lot!

thanks for this...you've saved me quite a few syns as I was just about to have half the tub.

*confused*

I have the tub in front of me. I've just entered all the values into the syn calculator, for green day (which is what I'm on) with eggs as the free food allowance.

Comes up free for the whole tub.

Now, I'm not sure why this is. I'm guessing it's because it's easy to eat the whole lot, which is likely to up your calorie intake. In which case, it's probably wise to allow a few syns for it.

The stats are this:

100g: Energy 498kJ, 119kcal; Protein 10.9, Carbs 3.1, Fat 7. Tub size is 250g.

I was surprised it was free initially and looking at the ingredients, it does contain stuff we should syn normally (reduced fat mayo includes single cream, yogurt, cornflour, dijon mustard, oil...)

Perhaps it's just a glitch in the calculator.

The calculator can't factor everything in, it is only basic and to be used as a very last resort. The only true Syn values come from the comprehensive analysis by SW

Don't forget though that Hellmann's extra light mayo is 1/2 syn per tablespoon -

so you could make 2 or 3 boiled eggs, 2 tbsp mayo, salt, pepper, spring onions/chives (etc), chopped bacon (on a red day) and have the whole lot for 1 syn.

I'm glad i didn't get it the other day then. I tend to make my own with extra light mayo and a couple of eggs too x

Don't forget though that Hellmann's extra light mayo is 1/2 syn per tablespoon -

so you could make 2 or 3 boiled eggs, 2 tbsp mayo, salt, pepper, spring onions/chives (etc), chopped bacon (on a red day) and have the whole lot for 1 syn.

Now that sounds yummy, I'm definitely going to make this one.

I bought this after seeing the thread here and I really like it, but I was counting 1 syn per tablespoon anyway, just in case! :D

It's handy for sandwiches to take into work, so I think I'll just keep getting it. I tend to use my syns on normal food anyway, rather than treats.

Thank goodness I read this, I bought the wrong one the other day, not the Bee Good one, so gave it away and was going to buy the correct one tomorrow. These mistakes can bugger your plan up big time. Thanks for the info.

Back