Salmon question....

SarJay84

Afternoon everyone!

I was thinking about cooking myself a salmon fillet (fat/skin removed) for lunch, but realised I have no idea how to cook it!! :eek: LOL.
If anyone can advise me of the best "syn free" way of doing this, then I will be most grateful.

Also, when it says "salmon, cooked without fat (Free) 100g" on the syn calculator, does that mean I can only have 100g of it to be "Free" or is that just a standard weight?

Thanks in advance!
x

In which case you don't have to weigh your salmon as it's free on EE, so however much you want really (within reason!).

I usually cook mine in the oven by wrapping it in foil with a dash of lemon juice, some soy sauce and chopped fresh ginger and/or sliced spring onions. Cook for 20-30 minutes, depending on the size of the salmon fillet.

Thank you so much! :)

On the packaging it say "may containt bones" but should I assume it's already boneless to an extent? (You can tell i'm a salmon virgin, can't you?? LOL)

It was off the fresh fish shelf next to the fish counter in Morrisons....selected and cut instore, type thing.

x

Thank you so much! :)

On the packaging it say "may containt bones" but should I assume it's already boneless to an extent? (You can tell i'm a salmon virgin, can't you?? LOL)

It was off the fresh fish shelf next to the fish counter in Morrisons....selected and cut instore, type thing.

x

They are usually boneless but they can never 100% guarantee that, hence the note on the packaging. So you may find a couple of small bones.

They are usually boneless but they can never 100% guarantee that, hence the note on the packaging. So you may find a couple of small bones.

Again, thank you so much for your help! :)

I've just skinned it, rubbed some soy sauce into the fillets and then seasoned with some sea salt and black pepper.

Going to do some egg noodles and some veg stir-fry like to go with it.

x

For future Salmon attempts: try covering with water with lemon juice, salt & pepper added. Microwave for 6 mins, or 8-10 for 2 fillets. Lovely with a salad :)

For future Salmon attempts: try covering with water with lemon juice, salt & pepper added. Microwave for 6 mins, or 8-10 for 2 fillets. Lovely with a salad :)

Thanks very much! :)

I love salmon! I used to poach it (similar to Kingleds but on the cooker top) and I have been known to bake it in the oven (like KittenKat) but now I like it simply grilled :) Place it on the grill skin-side up and when this becomes darker and crispy turn over. So simple yet so delicious!

Enjoy xx

Not free but delish-foil, slap the salmon on, throw a bit ot sweet chilli sauce over, seal and bang in the oven. Simples!

1tbsp of sweet chilli sauce is all you need and is 1.5syns i think

We sometimes have salmon baked in the oven in a foil parcel with lemon, but I put it on a bed of green beans and put some cherry tomatoes in around it so it all cooks together. Usually serve it with some homemade wedges or frylight roasted new potatoes cooked in a mixture of mustard, cider vinegar and a little bit of stock on the bottom of the tin.

My lunch was very scrummy indeed and the salmon was absolutely delicious! :D

Not 1/3, but 1/2 of my plate was full of SS veg!;)

x

I'm really lazy with salmon - I tend to just bang it in the George Foreman and get it out whenever it looks done. Sometimes I put it in a tikka marinade or soak it in 1tbsp teriyaki marinade (2 syns) beforehand for added flavour :)

I always fry it in a non stick pan, and put garlic, ginger and chilli on it, a bit of soy sauce sometimes and serve with noodles and a mountain of stir fried veg

I really want to like cooked salmon! I love smoked salmon and even salmon from a tin but whenever I try it poached, steamed, grilled, baked etc I just find it really uninspiring! I don't understand because I like most other fish. Hmmph!

I use a recipe which was from WW years ago and has loads of flavour, mix tbsp soy sauce with 1/2tsp Chinese five spice powder and 1/2tsp honey, roll the salmon around in it so it's all coated and then bake it in it for 20mins.

Lovely to have both hot and cold.

Also there's a lovely recipe on BrittMums Slimming Eats website, baked salmon with roasted tomatoes and butternut squash.

Back