Santa's Presents - where does he leave them?

big bear

A bear on a mission!
If Santa comes to your house where does he leave the presents for the kids?

Do you have special Santa sacks or giant stockings? If so anyone know where I can buy these?

Otherwise where are the presents left? Are they wrapped in Xmas paper? What did Santa used to do for you when you were small?

As there were 5 of us we used to leave out pillow cases with our names on them & a sock...lol X

My children have always hung their stocking on their bedroom door handles, and left their giant fabric sacks in the living room for Sants to fill ;)

My children have always hung their stocking on their bedroom door handles, and left their giant fabric sacks in the living room for Sants to fill ;)

Where can I buy those fabric sacks? I've been really ill the last few weeks so not had a chance to go shopping. I'd like to know where to find them so I can just go to one shop & pick them up!

We got one present from Santa - the big one. A bike/dollhouse etc. It was left unwrapped in the living room. All the other pressies mum and dad bought us were wrapped and mine were piled on one armchair and my brothers the other armchair. Our stockings were (and still are) an apple orange and bar of choc

My brother does the same with my nieces. I think it makes so much sense. Emma was horrified last year when a friend said her parents didn't buy her any presents hers were all from Santa. I think it's only fair patents get some 'recognition' for thevmoney they spend lol x

Santa puts stuff (unwrapped) in a knitted stocking. And that's just little "stocking filler" type presents, & chocolate & fruit etc.
All other presents are from specific people, and are wrapped and left under the tree.

I think it's important that the children know that there are real people who have bought them things and should be thanked.

By the way, my DD is 17, and it still happens just like this, as it has every year since she was 2!

ETA: I don't mean Santa isn't a "real person" - but he's rather hard to get hold of and thank.

We have told our kids that we send Santa money for presents and he uses that to make sure he gets what he can, and sometimes the things they ask for might be too much money so he chooses the best ones for the money. It annoys me that I have to do this but if I didn't I would have a horribly disappointed child to deal with, eldest daughters list reads like a trolley dash through Hamleys.

When Santa used to visit me when I was a little girl he used to leave my present that we're wrapped I tissue paper inside my stocking which he left on my bed

However... That's how's I found out that Santa wasn't real (sorry to all you believers out there!). One christmas my grandad came up to stay and I slept in my mum and dads room on the camp bed. I was busy nosing in their wardrobe when I should have been catching some z's and I found some pressies that were wrapped in tissue paper and not Christmas paper. I remembered the shapes and there they were in my stocking on Christmas day!

It's funny how everyone does things so differently.

I think the 2 worst 'ways' I heard of were a friend of mine who's parents told her and her sisters that everything was from Santa BUT they didn't wrap any presents just laid them out in the living room

I used to work with again said everything was from Santa and I mean EVERYTHING. Pressies from grandparents aunties uncles everything that was bought for thevkids was 'from Santa'. I think that's just rude. If I bought a friends child a present I'd be furious if they passed it off as being from Santa and not from me

We had stockings hanging on the door knob, then Santa left our big presents in the living room with other bits, then anything else was wrapped under the tree. We had to keep the tags with the presents so we knew who to thank for what :)
Even now I still have some gifts from Santa. But it always baffles me that he has the exact same handwriting as my mum.......

This year me and the OH each have a stocking from one another, and our other presents are all wrapped, sitting upstairs. Can't bring them down as the cats keep shredding the paper :grumble:

As for giant sacks, you can get them in Wilko, Home Bargains, B&M, Poundstretcher, Poundland and I saw giant stockings in JTF (if there is one near you) but they are quite pricey. You may also get some in any local stationary type store you have, I got some large plastic ones from the one near me. Birthdays and Hallmark may also sell them :) Otherwise, you could always use an old pillowcase, and you could even decorate it with glitter glue or tinsel or something x

Aww!! When i was little santa used to leave my stocking on the bed! Full of toiletries sweeties and the little bits. He used to leave my bigger things downstairs! We were not allowed in living room until we were all fed and dressed! Now i have my own 4 kiddies, and i also follow this pattern! :) merry christmas! Xx

Our stuff was always under the tree in the lounge - and always wrapped!! No stockings or anything though!

And it was always tradition that dad went downstairs first to 'check santas been!' we follow tradition here too! xx

I honestly can't remember when I 'believed' nor which prezzies were from 'him' but we did have an orange & new penny stocking on the bed with wrapped presents in the living room. We weren't allowed downstairs until dad had built & lit the fire and the room was all toasty (no matter that we sat freezing to death on the top stair waiting for him to call us down :D )

However, I raised my daughter with one prezzie from Santa - not necessarily the biggest, but one she'd wanted. The rest were from family & friends so she could say her thank-you's.

I did learn one lesson when she was about 4 and she remarked quite excitedly that Santa used the same wrapping paper as mummy & daddy! I always remembered to buy a special sheet/roll after that. ;)

We were so poor when I were a lad (cue Dvorak's New World Symphony - that's the Hovis music for anyone north of Watford!!) that my dad used to wrap an empty cardboard box each year and when I opened it all excited, my little face would crumble as he revealed it was an action man - deserter!!

One year, he actually went outside at 7pm Christmas Eve and fired two shots in the air - he ran in excitedly advising us that sadly Santa had committed suicide this year:(

Kids today don't know they're born;)

Santa leaves our presents in the lounge. my daughters have an armchair each,but they do hang up stockings in the fireplace and there's usually a little something in them too. Santa also puts chocolates on our tree on christmas eve ( that way there are still some actually left by christmas LOL).
The girls also know who the presents are from. Some people buy presents and send them to santa to bring and some people send him the money to buy them himself !! occaisionally if someone misses the deadline they hand over the pressies themselves ( that way I have all eventualities covered LOL).
They do all the other stuff too like leaving santa a mince pie and a carrot for the reindeer-one year hubby actually went outside when we had snow and made hoof prints with a broom handle. When I was little I always had to leave santa a glass of OJ , some cereal and a jug of milk- I was almost an adult before I cottoned onto the fact that I was getting my Dad's breakfast ready for christmas morning LOL

Big bear- I have seen the sacks and stockings in poundstretcher !!

Maximus said:
We were so poor when I were a lad (cue Dvorak's New World Symphony - that's the Hovis music for anyone north of Watford!!) that my dad used to wrap an empty cardboard box each year and when I opened it all excited, my little face would crumble as he revealed it was an action man - deserter!!

One year, he actually went outside at 7pm Christmas Eve and fired two shots in the air - he ran in excitedly advising us that sadly Santa had committed suicide this year:(

Kids today don't know they're born;)

Omg this just cracked me up!!!

When we were younger our stockings were from Santa which was full of sweets and little bracelets and things then all our other presents were left in little piles around the room from my parents abd family etc by our favorite chair, still happens now when I go home for Christmas and I'm 26 :)

We always used to leave the cookies & milk out and carrots for reindeer too! Saw a leaflet in work today it's called Santas been in your house and it's for charity. Basically I think you send in a photo of your fireplace or window or whatever you leave open for Santa & they impose the photo on there for you to leave with the note saying thank you for the cookie.. I think it's an amazing idea and would really make kids believe and so excited!!

My mum always hated Christmas, well buying presents meant buying less Sherry! So we'd have one gift each under the tree. No Santa at our house, and I only got presents until I was 12!

When I was 18 I went to lodge in a house of who us now my best friend, she taught me how to do Christmas.
Santa fills sacks left out upstairs, (now pillowcases), with little bits socks pants ( my son used to get sooo excited with new pants and socks bless him!) smellies, colouring pens/books, books, etc nothing over a fiver.
The kids HAVE to bring them into our room and open them on my bed, everyone has to guess what it is! Then the kids make tea and croissants/toast/brioche whatever and then we all go downstairs for main present unwrapping! All from named people!

After lunch everyone gets a gift from the tree, originally this would be a small thing like a diary/spirograph/small teddy, now it's usually a DVD/CD.

Oh and everyone gets brand new pyjamas on Christmas Eve!

Our parents have always done ours in the same format every year. Our living room has two doors - my brother and I would hang our stockings on one each.

Our presents are all wrapped and fill the floor either side of the sofa, some in santa sacks and the larger presents on the floor.

When I lived at home, Santa left a stocking on our bed which always contained, satsumas, nuts & 2p, Santa then left our main wrapped pressies in the livingroom.

Now (DS 21 & DD 19) Santa leaves a stocking on our childrens bed which has in socks, underwear, small smellies & little bits of things. The main pressie is left in a big Santa sack in the livingroom. We still maintain Santa leaves everything. But friends & relatives always get recognition & thanks for their pressies.

You can buy Santa sacks & stockings from Poundstretcher or B&M bargins.

You can track Santa on

NORAD Santa try it it's fun:D

Aww!! When i was little santa used to leave my stocking on the bed! Full of toiletries sweeties and the little bits. He used to leave my bigger things downstairs! We were not allowed in living room until we were all fed and dressed! Now i have my own 4 kiddies, and i also follow this pattern! :) merry christmas! Xx

This is exactly how our Christmas' were with my parents. You had to be up, bathed/showered/clean/dressed in smarts and had breakfast. Once *everyone* had done this and then Grandad had his breakfast then we could open Christmas presents and they were always given out by mum reading the labels and writing down what we got (to make it easier for writing thank you letters).

Santa's stocking was always put on the floor next to the bed, only because it was always things like paper/sketchbooks/pencils/crayons.

Mum loved buying little silly things/gadgets/toys/sweets during the year and hording them away ready for the stockings. They were totally her thing.

We were spoilt rotten bless her.

Where can I buy those fabric sacks? I've been really ill the last few weeks so not had a chance to go shopping. I'd like to know where to find them so I can just go to one shop & pick them up!

Sorry, but they have both had their sacks for years :(

I vaguely recall seeing them in Shaws at one time.

Back