Puddings Scan Bran raspberry and chocolate cake

nicolanikki13

Scan Bran raspberry and chocolate cake
Syns: 8½ Syns for the whole cake - that's just one Syn per slice!
You will need:
5 Scan Bran (or Oat Bran)
2 large carrots, finely grated
3 or 4 tbsp artificial sweetener (or to taste)
2 sachets of Options Belgian Chocolate
150g frozen raspberries
3 eggs, beaten

Method:
  1. <LI class=recipe-no jQuery1246693870919="74">1Pour boiling water over the Scan Bran and leave for 1 minute so that it softens, then drain and mash. <LI class=recipe-no jQuery1246693870919="75">2Blend the Scan Bran, carrot, sweetener and Options, mixing very thoroughly. Stir in the frozen raspberries. Then add the beaten eggs and stir until completely mixed. Transfer the mixture into a microwaveable dish – about 6½in/16cm in diameter.
  2. 3Microwave on high for about 15 minutes, or until cooked. The end product should be reasonably moist.
I am cooking this as I speak in my microwave. I will let you know what it is like. xxx

Hi Nicolanikki 13,

We're so pleased that you DID like this, as we're almost certain that it is a recipe that we sent into SW!

The fact that it has the carrot in it, which we think gives it a much more 'cake like' texture, and the fact that it is cooked in the microwave rather than having to light the big oven, as well as using FROZEN raspberries (lots of experimentation by hubby - he found that they kept 'evaporating' whilst defrosting!!!) makes us sure it is ours.

Although we've taken it to a taster session, we've never really had any feedback about it, so are very pleased that you posted - bet we'd have kept quiet if you'd hated it!!!

There are loads of other Scan Bran recipes on the SW Lifeline on Line site at present, some 'microwaved with carrot' are probably ours too - all feedback gratefully received!!!

Sorry for delay in replying - am absolutely delighted that you've tried and LIKED the recipe! You can make a "frosting" using roughly 1/2 vlf fromage frais and 1/2 Quark, with some sweetener and flavouring. Hubby likes vanilla flavour ('chantilly cream' he calls it!), but for just 1 or 2 syns I prefer to add chocolate options, or the white chocolate version - mmm!!!

Happy cooking! (and eating!!!).

It never ceases to amaze me how useful the humble scan bran can be in lovely cake recipes like this one.....thank you for sharing. X

I've bought some scan bran at group tonight and I'm going to make this sometime this week as it sounds lovely. My other half keeps complaining I'm not baking anymore so hopefully this will shut him up. Thanks for the recipe

Fran xx

Back