sci fi

I love sci fi and some fantasy novels. I am new to reading sci fi as previously I would just watch tv/films. Anyone have any recommendations for humorous sci fi - I really liked the red dwarf novels and whedon graphic novels.

I'm a big sci-fi fan. Books and tv series but I'm not admitting that. :p

Harry Harrison is probs my fave author although I have to admit he's not the most talented in terms of writing. His ideas are great though on the whole (he has written some dreadful books too).

Favourite tv is Stargate SG1. Am watching the whole lot again - and introducing my bf to them :)

Quite like some fantasy - I've waded through all 14 of the of the Wheel of time series and I've read a lot of Raymond Feist books too.

I got into reading a lot of sci fi last year by accident really. Im a cat person and I was reading one of the many cat books around. This one mentioned the Heinlein book A Door Into Summer, the cat in the story, Pete lives with his owner in a house with 12 doors or exits, and the cat constantly wants to keep trying all the doors until it finds that one that leads outside to the good weather. That reference made me laugh, because my own cat is just the same! if one door leads out to rain, he will want to try all the other doors in the house until he is satisfied that its rain out of all the doors.

I loved the book, the idea was that the owner wanted to be frozen and wake up in the future, but he had to take his cat with him. Its not in print in this country but I found a second hand copy of it on Amazon. From that I read other Heinlein books and then other authors, notably Philip Dick's Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep (later made into Bladerunner).

What I love about this period of the genre, ie 1950's to 1970's science fiction writers, is that they could all imagine very futuristic worlds and space travel, but could not imagine miniaturisation of computers, so computers in these books still tend to fill entire buildings, and the way they treat women!! omg talk about male chauvinism, its hilarious.

Im reading Dune currently, and then im caught up with all the sci fi I bought last year. So now I need to find some more.

after reading about 70 of the aforementioned star trek next generation books i've shifted over into fantasy for a bit for a break :) i've been reading the rivers of london series. there are only four of them so far and they are pretty good. not as good as the dresden files, but they have that kind of feel to them. now i just need to wait for more of them to be written, ha.

abz xx

Arum Lilly said:
I got into reading a lot of sci fi last year by accident really. Im a cat person and I was reading one of the many cat books around. This one mentioned the Heinlein book A Door Into Summer, the cat in the story, Pete lives with his owner in a house with 12 doors or exits, and the cat constantly wants to keep trying all the doors until it finds that one that leads outside to the good weather. That reference made me laugh, because my own cat is just the same! if one door leads out to rain, he will want to try all the other doors in the house until he is satisfied that its rain out of all the doors.

I loved the book, the idea was that the owner wanted to be frozen and wake up in the future, but he had to take his cat with him. Its not in print in this country but I found a second hand copy of it on Amazon. From that I read other Heinlein books and then other authors, notably Philip Dick's Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep (later made into Bladerunner).

What I love about this period of the genre, ie 1950's to 1970's science fiction writers, is that they could all imagine very futuristic worlds and space travel, but could not imagine miniaturisation of computers, so computers in these books still tend to fill entire buildings, and the way they treat women!! omg talk about male chauvinism, its hilarious.

Im reading Dune currently, and then im caught up with all the sci fi I bought last year. So now I need to find some more.

Hi! I've been into sc-ifi all my life - books, TV, films - so it's great to see someone enjoying it on here! Especially as you mentioned one of my all-time favouries, Heinlein. Other fave authors of mine that you may or not have come across are Anne McCaffrey, Julian May, and Michael Moorcock. A lot of their back catalogues seem to be coming out on Kindle now, which is how I read nowadays, so I'm happily rediscovering some old favourites. Moorcock's Dancers At The End of Time trilogy is coming out on Kindle soon, which I'll definitely get and read again, and I'm currently working through Julian May's Milieu series again. :) xx

I think its very appropriate somehow to read sci fi on a kindle! Thanks for the suggestions Tracy, I will look up some of those authors. Ive just downloaded Enders Game so I will be getting stuck into that soon.

I have several favorite Science Fiction authors, some have already been mentioned such as Iain M Banks (The Algebraist) or Peter Hamilton (Pandora's Star). I would also recommend Alistair Reynolds (Revelation Space) or L. E. Modesitt Jr (The Ethos Effect) and finally Richard Morgan (Altered Carbon).

Love sci-fi and fantasy. Tend to watch more Sci-fi and read more fantasy though!

Back