Sciatica/back pain rant

Esme

Gin and tonic please!
I found out today from the doctor that I have sciatica (horrible back/leg pain) after suffering for two weeks on some pretty useless medication he gave me.

Anyone else out there suffer from back pain?

It's so awful, I feel like an old lady limping about, and last night I just sat and cried because my flat is like a tip and it hurts too much to clean it - it probably doesn't help that I'm on my star week, I don't usually care so much about cleaning! :D:D:D
So now he has given me more drugs and some stretches to do, but he has warned that it could take SIX WEEKS to feel better.

I just needed to rant somewhere as I feel so miserable, I was really looking forward :)eek:) to joining a gym and getting active and instead I'm less mobile than ever. GRRRR.

It seems that the more I lose the more problems I have, I never had back problems or high blood pressure when I was over five stone heavier!

AND if all of that wasn't bad enough, I can't drink alcohol with my tablets. I guess that means I'll have more syns for chocolate though :)

Rant over! :p

Big sympathies and hugs. i get low back pain and have had sciatica in the past. i find painkillers and heat really help-hot bath or shower and a hot water bottle or one of those wheatpacks !! They are brilliant

Touch wood I've not had bad back pain for many years but I can totally sympathise with how you are feeling.

You may well be right about star week making it worse as I know my muscles weaken noticeably at that time of the month.

I hurt my neck while tenpin bowling in Orlando in my honeymoon in 1991 and ever since then I have problems with it a few times a year and always at star week xx

Thanks ladies!
Very interesting about star week, and I can't wait to get home and have a hot bath, and surround myself with hot water bottles :)

On the plus side the new painkillers are starting to kick in, I can now almost stand up straight and walk without wanting to scream - what luxury! ;)

When I had lower back pain i had all sorts of treatment, traction, epidurals, physio. osteo, and the only thing that worked was'bowen'. check it out on the internet. The best thing for it is to freeze it for 10 min on 10 mins off.

Ah no, hope the painkillers help, even if you can't drink! I get bad back pain and the only time it was finewas when I was pregnant! Lol. Vertabrae (Sp?) In my spine rub and my back gets inflamed owwie, and my OH has Sciatica and prolapsed disks :eek: xxx

Hi, I have also suffered in the past (and recently too!) with back pain and one thing that really helped me, and will also help weight loss, was swimming. I put my back out on my honeymoon (don't ask!) 13 years ago and my brand new husband had to almost carry me to the pool but once I got in and had a swim I was able to walk again normally. Worth a try and good luck.

What you must do is avoid bending forward and twisting. Get a towel ,roll it up lengthways and tie it as tight as you can round your waist. I sleep with one when my backs bad as when you are on your side it fills the gap in. Sit on a hard chair rather than one you can slouch in, and not for more than 20 mins at a time, or lie on your stomach over 2-3 pillows with a hottie on your back and gradually over an hour take the pillows out till you can lie flat. Then gently try to push back with your hands, pelvis on the floor so you bend your back backwards a bit. Posture is everything.
Try looking at this

Robin McKenzie excercises or How I recovered from low back pain

hi,

i was riding a horse when i was 13 and tore muscle ligaments and tendons soo took 12months break, got back on a diff horse fell off a broke my back in 2 places (first time on horse in 12months)

then 4 yrs later had a car accident and siatica occured

so i suffer terrible back pain

here are some tips i have

arnica massage oil (wenda i think the brand is only just discovered it and its the bee's knees)

tens machine
hot bath
gentle exercise
don't lie about all day it only makes it worse
co-codamol, brill stuff but see a medical person before using please, it can be bought over the counter at a milder strength
heat pack (hot water bottle)

Back pain is horrible so really hope hope some of the remedies do help ( will be nicking a few myself)

co-codamol are indeed brill but be aware that codiene can make you constipated ,not good for weight loss, and if i take them at night ( they can make you drowsy so i find this best) i wake up with a codiene 'hangover'

oh another thing, when the pain clears, when you wake be for getting outta bed, bring you knee's to your chin and hold for 30 secs. helps your lower back first thing and can prevent injury i am told.

its like the foetal positon but only on your back

i can sympathise with you i know exactly how it feels, i had spd (symphysis pubis dysfunction) during my pregnancy with the 9 month old and bout 2 months ago i got sciatica in my butt cheek and it moved so for the last 5 -6 weeks i got really bad pain in my tail bone. i have to moove carfully of im in agony, and the other side to it is i have to lift one side of my butt and then the other to get comfy people think im farting all the time.

anything is worth the money if the pain goes

I used to have really bad sciatica and even tried physio and acupuncture, but none of them worked. I could not sit for long periods of time and was afraid I wouldn't even be able to go back to work (it was so bad). I think the cause of mine was the bad postures and lifting the kids up, putting them into the car seat and out of them because as soon as I went back to work the pain stopped gradually!
Knock on wood that I haven't had back pain in the 2 years.
The hot water bottle suggestion does work as well as sleeping with a pillow between your knees.

Back