Sciatica

Discussion in 'Slimming World Off Topic' started by lucylupin, 25 January 2011 Social URL.

1. lucylupin

lucylupin Full Member

Start Weight:
    13st5lb
    Current Weight:
    10st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st8lb
    Lost(%):
    3st4lb(24.6%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    Just been to the docs and got told this is what i have! It really hurts plus i cant execise at all!:cry:

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Happy Holidays

Happy Holidays Gold Member

Start Weight:
    9st11lb
    Current Weight:
    8st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st9lb
    Lost(%):
    1st2lb(11.68%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I'd recommend a chiropractor, they're not cheap but well worth the money spent.

A few years ago I had a trapped nerve in my shoulder, the pain was unberable, but after 1 chiropractor session it was much better & pain free after 3 sessions:D

4. maclynn

maclynn Silver Member

Start Weight:
    17st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    14st10lb
    oh, hope you feel better soon.

5. silly sausage

silly sausage Peas on Earth

Start Weight:
    18st6lb
    Current Weight:
    15st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st13lb(15.89%)
    Diet:
    SW veggie
    Poor Lucy :( I had mild sciatica last week. I read on here that the anti-inflamatory tablets I was taking for it can cause fluid retention. Not sure if that is true, but I drank loads of water to be on the safe side and lost 3.5 lbs without exercise. Chin up.

6. Squeako

Squeako Full Member

Start Weight:
    17st13lb
    Current Weight:
    17st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st6lb(2.39%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World at home
    Hi Lucy,

I've got sciatica too (it was the reason I started SW a few weeks ago).

I get pain all down my left leg - awful nerve pain. It started last October, and my Physio thinks it's a combination of a big tum and too much walking jarring my spine.

It does get better! - I got referred to a physio by my GP and she's recommended that I build up my stomach muscles and do lots of cycling/swimming. 3 months on and it's far less painful and the pain is less frequent.

Good luck with yours - I would recommend pushing your doctor for physio as mine has been great and it was such a relief to find out exactly what exercise was still ok.

7. lucylupin

lucylupin Full Member

Start Weight:
    13st5lb
    Current Weight:
    10st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st8lb
    Lost(%):
    3st4lb(24.6%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    Thanks, the doctor said to go back in 10-14 days if its no better then he will do something about physio, i love swimming but can only do breast stroke and didnt know if that will make it worse.
    Mine is on my right side and doesnt go all the way down the leg but only to my knee (well so far!), at the moment it is worst in my groin!:cry:

8. judimac

judimac Mad old Bat with Attitude

Start Weight:
    14st5lb
    Diet:
    WW
    Breaststroke will make it worse because it puts your back into extension which will nip the nerve. Does lying on your front relieve the pain? Does it go when you lie down?

9. lucylupin

lucylupin Full Member

Start Weight:
    13st5lb
    Current Weight:
    10st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st8lb
    Lost(%):
    3st4lb(24.6%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    I sleep on my stomach and its not too bad, until i want to roll over to get out off bed, i get out of bed on the right side and the pain is on my right side.
    The pain doesnt completly go when i lay down but it can make it feel better

10. Squeako

Squeako Full Member

Start Weight:
    17st13lb
    Current Weight:
    17st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st6lb(2.39%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World at home
    I was told that breaststroke is fine - but this may be due to the position of my sciatica (right at the bottom of my spine).

According to my physio no further damage will be done by non load bearing exercise (like swimming and cycling) - although it does increase the pain whilst I'm doing it, I think it's worth the pain! In fact she does a 'manipulation' on my which is similar to breaststroke (she moves my arm up and down whilst I lie on my stomach).

I find the pain worse when I don't exercise, as my hamstring starts to tighten and I move less freely.

I find sleep easiest by lying in a foetal position with a pillow between my knees, or lying on my back with a pillow under my knees. I guess it's all down to the individual injury though.

Good luck with your recovery!

11. Claireybella

Claireybella Gold Member

Start Weight:
    16st2lb
    Current Weight:
    15st11.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st4.5lb(1.99%)
    Diet:
    SW
    Aaahhh, I feel your pain, I have it too, in my left buttock area! Bought on by pregnancy! I find it plays up with either too much or too little exercise, or if I've been over doing it and been on my feet. I have found that it's subsided a lot since losing weight. Definately chase up the physiotherapy though.

12. lucylupin

lucylupin Full Member

Start Weight:
    13st5lb
    Current Weight:
    10st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st8lb
    Lost(%):
    3st4lb(24.6%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    Thanks, i must do something about finding a physio, i will ask at the doctors if they have a number of somone

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.