Scrumbles' diary...life after losing a third of me...

I am happy to report that the strawberries were lovely! :D

Anyone who is following this diary won't be particularly surprised to learn that I'm about to make another change to my plan. I cannot leave well alone! :p

It occurred to me that I am being very consistent with my calorie intake, maybe too consistent. If I stay at or around 1600 cals every day, I reckon I'll be giving my body much too good an opportunity to adapt, so I think a bit of calorie zig-zagging might not be a bad idea.

To that end, for five days out of seven I'll be somewhat under-eating my current average, and on the remaining two non-consecutive days I'll be over-eating the average. The weekly total will remain virtually the same, so my energy and nutrition needs will still be met but in a way that keeps the body guessing, and therefore, hopefully, losing fat.

I'm a prime candidate for this because I cannot stop myself counting calories even if I wanted to (!), so I might as well run with it and put it to some use. I'll be starting on 1530 cals per day for the five low days, then 1835 cals on one high day and 1700 on the other. (Obviously these are ballpark figures - anal as I am, even I can't be that precise, lol)

As for carbs, I'll be aiming for 25g on the low days and 30g on the high days, so I'll be mixing them up a bit too.

No idea whether this will work to my advantage, but I doubt it can hurt as it won't involve any non-legal foods, and I won't be eating any more than I am at the moment. But we shall see!

Yesterday was 1630 cals and 27g carbs; today will be 1540 cals and 26g carbs. Luckily I've picked a good time to eat a bit less 'cos I'm cramping something rotten today - every cloud has a silver lining, lol.

Sorry about the totm pain :( But really interesting idea of varying the calorie count, be good to hear how you get on :)

Do you have to weight everything Scrumbles?

Really interesting and I think I need to start shocking my body ! Lol

Mmm mixing things up can be a good idea, have you looked at the juddd section, they seem to be losing quite a bit, not too sure I could go as low as they go on their down day. Especially keeping up the fat and protein.

Afternoon!

Just remembered I hadn't written anything in here today - can't have that!

@Di, when I'm at home, yup - I weigh/measure everything (and I mean everything! even the coconut oil or butter I cook with gets weighed :eek:). When I'm eating elsewhere then I have to do a bit of guesstimating, unless it's somewhere I can take my own pre-prepared food.

Oh, and I think you are about to shock your body - with lots of *alien* Canadian food...enjoy!:D

@sammy, I hadn't looked at that section before - thanks!

To be honest, that's one scary diet :eek:. Those down days are really low, aren't they? I think that's probably enough to put me off if I'm honest. I don't mind doing the occasional fast - quite enjoy it actually - but I'm not sure I'd want to be semi-fasting every other day.

Mind you, it's something to consider - I like to keep an open mind!

I did fine on my slightly reduced cals yesterday. Thought I might be a bit hungry, but I kept swigging the water all day, and it wasn't a problem. Today will be 1540 cals but only 17g carbs, unless I can find a few more from somewhere. Oh well - I'm more concerned not to overshoot at the moment.

Looking forward to tomorrow: Saturday is blow-out day! 1800+ calories....nom nom nom :D Dunno what I'll be having yet, but I am sure butter and cream will feature prominently! :D

Well done Scrumbles... You seem to have a very balanced approach! And a lovely calming influence xx :)

Blow-out day! :D (Well, 300 cals more than the last couple of days, if that qualifies!)

Really hoping this works because I want to be eating as much as possible for as long as possible at each stage on the downwards journey, and if I need to employ a few non-Atkins strategies to make it happen, so be it.

Haven't weighed myself since Monday (official weigh-in day), not even a sneaky peek, and I'm getting ever-so-slightly antsy about it if I'm honest. I always have visions of having put tons back on (being ever the optimist :rolleyes::p) even though I know that I've stuck to plan 100%. If I do gain, I'll have to remind myself that:

- I lost a fair bit of weight recently so my body might put the brakes on
- I might still have TOTM water weight to shed
- I re-introduced berries (and carrots *ahem* :eek:)
- I started zig-zagging a couple of days ago and I might be on a temporary upswing because of that
- sh1t happens :p

Today's stats - if I fit it all in! - will be 1840 cals and 25g carbs. Problem is I've only just had lunch and it's already four o'clock: I still have to eat two big snacks and dinner before bed. Gonna be stuffing my face at midnight if I'm not careful!

Better get myself back in the kitchen....:D

Your so good not weighing! Do you have to eat the other meals today because of the zig zag? I'm thing of trying JUDDD.

Have good night. :)

Hi Val, before my diet break I was in the habit of weighing only once a week, so that feels like the norm for me really.

Yup, I do have to eat everything, and it wasn't hard in the end. One thing I've noticed is how much bigger my appetite is now: when I started Atkins last November I could barely get through 1000 calories a day, but now I can eat nearly double with relative ease, even on Induction foods. I have no doubt that I'm in ketosis - could hardly not be on 25g carbs per day - but it doesn't seem to have anywhere close to the appetite-suppressing effect it had in the beginning.

Which is a big reason why I'm tracking so carefully. If my body is now starting to fight back to try and replace all that lost fat (and that's what it does according to this Research shows trying to lose weight alters your brain and hormones so you're doomed to pile it on again | Mail Online ) then I reckon my best defence is to know exactly what's going in.

Good luck if you try the JUDDD diet - it does sound very interesting, and it seems to work judging by some of the diaries I've glanced through. I'm just not sure how easy I'd find it to hack those down days, and the idea of having more or less complete liberty on the up days scares the whatnot out of me, lol.

so much of your post resonates Scrum... my appetite is bigger now and I freak out if I don't weigh myself every day as I think I've gained loads!! That article is really interesting (I shall ignore the source! lol).

Good luck with the WI... you're an inspiration as you make me think about stuff I haven't really done before. I never realised that dieting was such a science I just ate Atkins and it seemed to work but now I'm 4 something stone away from goal instead of 10 something stone away I am realising I have to be more thoughtful about it. xx

:eek: not sure I deserve the "i" word but that's lovely of you to say it...I really appreciate it.

I'm just bumbling along trying to make sense of it all the best I can using whatever resources I can find - even the Daily Fail, lol. That article would certainly explain what's been happening to me recently, because it's as clear as day that something has changed in the time I've been doing this plan, and that Atkins alone won't give me all the answers.

Don't get me wrong; I think Atkins is brilliant. You've lost 7 stone and I'm not far short of having lost 4 stone in a relatively painless fashion, and for some people I'm sure it continues to work its magic down to goal and into maintenance with nary a blip. I just don't think I'm one of those people. I'm female, over 40, I've done a major diet at least once in every decade of my life since my teens, and I was obese as a child - I think that's a lot of biology working against me at this point.

But I'm going to win...no, we are going to win. No if's or but's. We'll get there. :)

I'm going to win...no, we are going to win. No if's or but's. We'll get there. :)

Exactly - you will get there, so will Di - and me! We'll all get there, no matter how long it takes.

And just think about other ways of eating, where you are hungry all the time. Who wants that?! xxx

I don't know if I missed something Scrumbles - I know you had a couple of slow downs but have you actually had a stall in your loss? A month with no loss despite being on plan? I totally get how diets get dull after the first couple of months and you eat more or different things almost simply because you're bored of it - to be honest that's usually when I fall off the wagon and end up giving up. But that's not the diet stoping working for us, it's our behavior while on the diet that has changed. You say you're eating a lot more calories now which would perhaps explain slower loss. Are you also eating different things or a higher carb limit?

I'm only asking because it's a trap I fall into myself - a diet doesn't feel as fast as I like so I try something supposedly quicker, and it's too hard so I give up. Time and time again I've proved to myself that all I really needed was to go strictly back to basics.

Love your posts Scrumbles, so interesting and insightful.
Like the idea of alternating your days, I am not sure if I have stalled as I keep putting a couple on and then lose them over and over again!

Having looked back at mfp I know it's increasing cals that's done it for me as my menus aren't very different from what they were ... And that article really helped to explain it... I feel more determined to ignore the hunger pangs now as I know the reason for them... It's a battle of wills - my fat cells will be beaten! Lol xx

I don't know if I missed something Scrumbles - I know you had a couple of slow downs but have you actually had a stall in your loss? A month with no loss despite being on plan? I totally get how diets get dull after the first couple of months and you eat more or different things almost simply because you're bored of it - to be honest that's usually when I fall off the wagon and end up giving up. But that's not the diet stoping working for us, it's our behavior while on the diet that has changed. You say you're eating a lot more calories now which would perhaps explain slower loss. Are you also eating different things or a higher carb limit?

I'm only asking because it's a trap I fall into myself - a diet doesn't feel as fast as I like so I try something supposedly quicker, and it's too hard so I give up. Time and time again I've proved to myself that all I really needed was to go strictly back to basics.

Hi moonlights, I don't know if it was technically a stall, but I hadn't seen any significant movement for at least 3 weeks, so I decided to change the game rather than wait any longer.

I wasn't bored and there definitely wasn't any carb-creep going on. I might have been stalled because of something I'd added since moving to OWL in January, but I don't have the patience for tweaking things week by week, so I decided to have a controlled break followed by a re-start in Induction to make sure that no potential stallers were still kicking around. Since then, after the break, I lost 5lbs in the first week, 1.5lbs in the second and another 1.5lbs this past week, so things are going absolutely as I hoped: a bit of a whoosh followed by steady moderate losses. I don't need the scale to move quickly; I just need it to move (relatively) reliably.

I do accept that maybe had I just gone straight back to Induction I might have had exactly the same result, but I didn't do that, so unfortunately I'll never know. Maybe when I get stalled again - and it's going to happen without a doubt - I'll try it.

The interesting thing to me is that I have deliberately been eating more since the break, yet I'm now losing weight. I averaged 1600 cals a day last week to lose 1.5lbs, whereas I was nearer 1450 a day before the break and losing nothing. This is a good thing, and I am happy about it. My observations on appetite were more to do with how much easier it has become for me to eat lots than it was 7 months ago, not that I think that eating more is causing me a problem. Back in November I was struggling to eat half of what I now do in a day, so ketosis is clearly having nowhere near the effect on my appetite that it did in the beginning.

That all seems very rambly...hope it made some sense! :)

Love your posts Scrumbles, so interesting and insightful.
Like the idea of alternating your days, I am not sure if I have stalled as I keep putting a couple on and then lose them over and over again!

Thanks Sandra! :)

If you're on plan and you've been fluctuating like that for more than a month, that does sound like a stall. Do you track? Helps to know what you're doing if you think you might need to make changes. :)

Having looked back at mfp I know it's increasing cals that's done it for me as my menus aren't very different from what they were ... And that article really helped to explain it... I feel more determined to ignore the hunger pangs now as I know the reason for them... It's a battle of wills - my fat cells will be beaten! Lol xx

Could be the calories, but be careful because you don't want to find yourself going too low or you'll have nowhere to go further down the line.

Time to forget about it all and just focus on enjoying Toronto, I say. :D

Weighed in today and I've lost another pound and a half this week, that half being very important as it means I've broken into the 180's for the first time in years!:D I am also (finally!!) lighter than my OH: he weighed this morning and he was 190lbs (I've been targeting him for weeks, lol). Next mini-target will be to get into the 12 stones - haven't been there for at least 4 years, I reckon.

I'm on a lower cal day today - should come to 1530 with carbs at 18g. Lunch was a nice warming soup for this winter's....er....summer's day :rolleyes:, and dinner will be sausages with assorted steamed veg. No berries because I've run out :(...they'll be back on the menu on Wednesday, though :D

Was going to start my walking programme today, but it would be more like paddling/wading! so I think I'll skip it and get on the exercise bike again. Ho hum. Maybe tomorrow....

Back