Scrumbles' diary...life after losing a third of me...

YESSSSSSS it so is! :D

Especially with lunches like that - yum! I haven't tried the salami crisps yet - could be seriously addictive! :)

They are!

If I'm having cauliflower cheese as a meal, then some crumbled up salami crisps as a topping just finish it off nicely.

Highly recommended! :D

Salami crisps are great - I must try them with cauli cheese.

There's still lots of January left, mrs, plenty of time for that last half pound to slink away in the night. I'm sure it will.

Oooh love the idea of crumbling them over the top of cauli cheese - that is the business and no mistake! :)

And as for that recalcitrant half pound, just imagine it being towed out to sea after this...

:character00255:....and dumped, never to be seen again :D It'll happen xxx

It went! :D

155lbs exactly this morning...phew! Now I can stop the silly fretting :p Next stop, getting into the 10's - never thought I'd be saying that!

This last stone - well, 13lbs - has taken 14 weeks to shift, so I'm losing less than a pound a week on average now. At that rate it should take me another month and a half to lose the 5lbs I need to get to target, but whether it will actually work out like that, who knows? lol

Last night's chicken thighs were very nice, so I'm firing up the slow cooker again today and doing a small gammon joint - hopefully, I'm getting the hang of this slow-cooking lark :D

Today's food: flax muffin for breakfast (I vary the flavourings every day, btw, so I don't get bored), salmon mayo salad for lunch and slow-cooked gammon with cabbage, carrots and potato for dinner.

Off to make a snowman (yeah, right!:p)

Hoorah! I the pounds you want to get rid of most - targets, stone barriers etc always seem to be the most difficult. It's like they know!

Good luck with your slow cooking - report back so I can learn from you.

Thanks, gals! I feel I can breathe now, lol.

Right. I didn't find my slow-cooked gammon much different to gammon boiled on the hob if I'm honest. It was maybe a little softer, but hard to say really. I spent a bit of time hunting round the web looking for instructions, but unfortunately the recipes I liked the sound of the best involved stuff like apple juice, coke and cider - apparently the acid helps tenderise the meat - and they were obviously non-starters! In the end I just bunged a bit of chopped onion, carrot and celery in the base of the pot, sat the meat on top (it was only a 750g joint, but it was nearly too big for my tiny cooker:eek:) and half-filled with water, then stuck it on low for about 8 hours. It was definitely done in that time, but not overdone.

I think I would only do it like that again if I had time constraints - or if I find a method that yields better results!

Food today is a bit up in the air; rather depends whether my Sainsbury's delivery actually gets here. If it does, we'll be having roast beef, if not I'll have to cobble something together out of what remains in the fridge - could be interesting :eek::D

Hope everyone is staying toasty warm! :)

Could you replace the coke with coke zero, maybe? I'm sure it's still acidy... *she says, glugging down a can*

Morning, I have cooked gammon in coke zero and five spice, it is delicious......good luck with the slow cooker, I have often thought of buying one but have never got around to it.

My shopping did arrive, thankfully! :D

@ sammy, thanks for that! I'd read that you have to use the full-sugar coke, but if you've tried coke zero and it works, that's great to know.

I'm only just getting used to my slow cooker, having let it sit gathering dust for a year :rolleyes: I've ordered a slow cooker cookbook from Amazon which will hopefully explain the principles and give me the confidence to use it much more. I'm so accustomed to cooking quickly (microwave, hob) it's taking a while to get my head around the idea of things cooking for 8 hours, lol!

Lost another half pound this morning, so that's 3.5lbs in the last two weeks since my re-start. Chuffed to bits with that since I'm averaging 1550 cals and 60g carbs a day - when I've dieted in the past I've mostly eaten 1000-1200 cals a day, so I'm very pleased that I can lose on considerably more :)

Food today: flax muffin for breakfast, tuna mayo salad for lunch and roast beef with broccoli, carrots and potato for dinner. I will be having a glass of red wine with dinner and a square or two of 85% choc with my coffee afterwards. It's a hard life, ain't it?...:cool:

Weighed this morning and I've dropped another half pound, so I'm down to 11 stone :eek: :D Only 4lbs to go to target, though I'm now wondering what I'll do when I get there.

I don't think I'll be happy to stop at 10st 10 somehow. I think I'll want about half a stone of buffer zone on top of that, and I reckon that's realistic for me as I've weighed 10st 4 a couple of times in my adult life.

What I don't want to do, though, is end up at a weight I find hard to maintain, so maybe when I get to 10:10 I should raise my cals and carbs to where I think they ought to be for maintenance and just see where my weight settles? It might not be as low as I would like, but I have to be comfortable with the amount I'm eating or I know I won't be able to sustain it.

Still, I don't have to make any decisions yet. It will be at least a month, if not more, before I'm at target, so I'll worry about it then...

Today's grub: flax/oat porridge, cheese and ham omelette, slow-cooked chicken balti with steamed cabbage. 1550 cals and 43g carbs.

Scrumbles said:
Still, I don't have to make any decisions yet. It will be at least a month, if not more, before I'm at target,

So you keep saying before noticing you've lost a little bit more! We'll see!

Well done on the 11 stone! I think you're right about needing a buffer, although if you build up to maintenance slowly you probably won't have much of an issue with water weight.

So you keep saying before noticing you've lost a little bit more! We'll see!

Lol...guilty! :p

I do know my weight loss pattern by now, but sometimes it can surprise me. I'm mainly going by the fact that since October I've averaged just under a pound a week, so to lose another 4lbs *should* take a little over a month. But who knows with bodies, eh?

Been working my way through my new slow cooker book and plotting meals accordingly. Winter was a great time to start getting into using a slow cooker, come to think of it: we're going to have stew coming out of our ears! :D

Food today: flax muffin for breakfast, mackerel for lunch, cottage pie with sautéed leeks for dinner and bits of cheese to snack on. Loads of teas and coffees (not much water, unfortunately, but I find it a lot less appealing when the weather's cold).

I use my slow cooker at least twice a week as I'm out of the house for 9 hours a day and love it. I make up the meals the night before and leave the pot in the fridge, get it out when I get up and switch on when I leave for work. It's handy to have someone to give it a stir during the day when it's something with sauce on but I haven't managed to train the dog to do it yet :D

The only thing I'm finding with slow cooking is that everything is a bit watery. Does anyone know if it's ok not to cover completely with water? A lot of American slow cooker sites say you only really need a little bit of liquid.

LMAO Lisa - train Emma to stir and the world's your oyster - you'll be coming home to three course dinners ;D

ML - no reason to put lots of water in, I find just a little is fine, a lot of water comes out of the protein and veg.

I don't cover it in water either. Today's effort is chicken and courgette curry and didn't need water as it has a tin of toms, but as I'm not LC at the mo that's fine *evil laugh* :D

@Lisa, lol! Never mind dogs...I'll be doing well if I can train the Other Half to do it! :D

ML, it says in my book that you should use less liquid when converting recipes as slow cooking loses so very little, also that you can roast some meats without adding any liquid at all (chicken and beef for example). I think vegetables - especially root vegetables - need to be covered with liquid as they cook less effectively at low temperatures, but meat doesn't necessarily need to be immersed.

(I will confess that if anything ends up a little watery, I whack a bit of cornflour in it, but low carb thickeners would do the job just as well, I'm sure!)

The book I bought is this one, btw Slow Cooking Properly Explained: Over 100 Favourite Recipes: Amazon.co.uk: Dianne Page: Books After skimming through it I certainly feel I understand the process and the limitations better than I did. The recipes themselves are a little awkward as they serve 4 (I only cook for two, and although my maths can cope with dividing by two ;), it isn't always practical) and are geared towards bigger cookers than mine (no way I could do a whole chicken or anything but the tiddliest joint in it). But I'd say it's definitely a helpful little introduction for those of us just getting used to slow cooking.

I ended up overeating a bit yesterday, which was odd because the food should have been very satisfying. I guess we all have those days :/ I seem a lot less hungry today though, so I should be able to compensate a little for my extra cheese and the gallons of decaff coffee with soy milk :eek:

Nosh du jour: flax muffin for breakfast, mushroom soup with cheese for lunch, ratatouille with cold ham and cheesy baked potato for dinner. Almost a veggie day - practically unheard of for me! Quite a lot of carbs too, so will be interesting to see whether I get hungrier than I should as a result.

Mushroom soup - yummm! :) Was it homemade?

I have had a real craving for soup today, was thinking of experimenting with flax croutons...

Back