Sea bass ideas please

jaylou

Gold Member
I have a couple of sea bass fillets in the freezer and whilst I have lots of ideas for marinades and how to cook it, I am at a loss for what to serve it with.
OH isn't a fan of roasted veg, which is what I would have - any other ideas?

Spinach! I am very into spinach at the moment. I think it goes really nicely with fish (in fact, I had it with sea bass at the weekend).

Then maybe some mashed carrots and swede. Ooh and how about hasselback potatoes. I might do those tonight actually...

What sauce/cooking method are you using for your fish?

OH hates spinach too. I love it!! I may do a pile of it for myself and sit the fish on the top, I'll do those potatoes for sure and I have swede and carrot too...
I think I will pan fry"light" the seabass with some herbs and lemon, keep it simple.

He sounds awkward your OH! ;)

How about roasted cherry tomatoes? They'd be nice too, unless they fall into the 'roast veg' category?

Hmm, he no likey them either!
I am going to have it on spinach with roasted carrot and tomatoes and served with potatoes. He can have potatoes, roasted carrot and peas.
That's Thursday or Friday dinner sorted out now :)

LOL! Mine eats what he's given! Mind you, to be fair, there isn't much he doesn't like.

Well done Little Ms Organised. :D

What about a Thai sea bass - I made this from a Jamie Oliver recipe once and just 'adapted' it to make it SW friendly. Perfect for an EE day:-

steamed thai-style sea bass and rice
serves 4

for the Thai paste
• 2 large bunches of fresh coriander, leaves picked and stalks reserved
• 2 thumb-sized pieces of fresh ginger, peeled
• 3 cloves of garlic, peeled
• 2 fresh red chillies, halved and deseeded
• 2 teaspoons sesame oil - I left this out
• 6 tablespoons soy sauce
• juice and zest of 2 limes
• 1 x 400ml tin coconut milk - I used the low fat Amoy version - not silly syns when divided by 4

• 400g/14oz basmati rice
• sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 4 x 170g/6oz sea bass fillets, pinboned and skin scored
• a handful of sugar snap peas or mangetouts - I also added broccoli
• a bunch of spring onions, outer leaves discarded, trimmed and finely sliced
• 1–2 fresh red chillies, deseeded and finely sliced
• 1 lime, quartered

Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF/gas 6. In a food processor or liquidizer, whiz up the coriander stalks, half of the coriander leaves, the ginger, garlic, halved chillies, sesame oil, soy sauce, lime juice and zest and the coconut milk. This will give you a lovely fragrant Thai-style paste.

Cook your rice in salted, boiling water until it’s just undercooked, then drain it in a colander. Scoop it into a high-sided roasting tray. Pour your Thai paste over the rice and mix it in well, then shake it out flat. Lay the sea bass fillets on top, scatter over the sugar snap peas or mangetouts, then cover the dish tightly with tinfoil and put it in the preheated oven for around 15 minutes. Remove the foil and sprinkle over the spring onions, the sliced chilli and the other half of the coriander leaves. Divide between your plates with a wedge of lime.

what about the oriental fish recipe from the last magazine - I am planning an extra easy week so this is one of my meals, this is for two people:
Oriental Baked fish:
2 Garlic cloves, crushed
½ in grated root ginger
1 tbsp soy sauce
Handful of fresh coriander
2 x 300g sea bass, whole, filleted
1 lime, thinly sliced & halved
1 ½ carrots, cut into ribbons
1 courgette, cut into ribbons
225g can water chestnuts, drained
2 nests dried egg noodles
½ head Chinese cabbage, trimmed & shredded
4oz mangetout

Preheat the oven to 200c. Mix together the garlic, ginger, soy sauce & half the coriander. Divide this mixture between the cavities of the fish. Top with the sliced lime & close the cavity. Make 2 squares out of baking parchment and divide the carrots, courgette & water chestnuts between them. Arrange the fish on top, squeeze over the lime & scatter with the remaining coriander. Seal the paper around the fish, place on a baking tray & bake for 30 minutes. Cook the noodles according to the packet instructions & steam the cabbage & mangetout. Serve with the noodles, cabbage & mangetout.

Syn free

That sounds great too! Was that the whole baked fish? I think I recall it. I just have little fillets so couldn't stuff them but that does sound good.
I'm going to bake it in the oven with lemon and parsley, courgette and carrot ribbons and serve with roasted peppers, baby carrots, butternut squash and some new season British asparagus - can't wait!!

Back