Seeing GP- advice and your experience needed

jrswife1

Hi there,

I was diagnosed via blood tests in 2010 with PCOS but at the time the GP told me I basically had to live with it. I was a student at the time and didn't think much of it. My cycles were erratic and i have the dreaded facial hair! After loosing a stone my cycles became regular again and I thought maybe the PCOS had resolved itself.

However, hubs and I have been trying for a baby since last October and no joy. I have not put the weight back on so it can't be that. My cycles had settled down but in January they became erratic again. I went to the Dr and she said to come back in a few months if cycles were still odd. They are so I am going back tomorrow to see what they can do to help. I have started on Weight watchers as I am overweight and know they will tell me to try to loose weight.

I have beeen reading that people were given ultrasounds and metformin when diagnosed.

What is your experience? Did you have to ask for medications and ultrasounds? How helpful or otherwise was your GP?

I have moved since my original diagnosis and have a new GP who seems very nice.

Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated.

I'd suggest you stand your ground and make sure that they do confirm whether or not it is PCOS.

If it is, ask them you need clear guidelines on how you can reduce/treat your symptoms.

Losing is the best thing to start with for sure.

Thanks. Gp was really supportive. He is starting off as though I've never been diagnosed. He is sending me for bloods then we will go from there. He doesn't think my weight is the problem as I have lost weight which regulated my cycles, not put any on and they have gone odd all of a sudden. However, I do still need to loose weight fir general health and if we need fertility treatment my bmi needs to be lower.

I know this is a week old but didn't want to read and run. I've always had irregular periods but was on the pill for years which regulated them. I came off contraception (injection) Aug 2011. I was diagnosed with pcos and possible endometriosis in sept 2011 by ultrasound but was offered nothing in the way of treatment, told to go home, lose weight and come back in a year if we hasn't conceived. My last period was sept 2012. Went to docs Dec 2012 to start fertility investigations. Had more scans, bloods, OH had a semen analysis (luckily he's ok). Was booked in for a laparoscopy and dye test in March which confirmed both pcos and endo. Told I need another op to cut away the endo then they would start me on Clomid to help me ovulate. Never got as far as the second op. Three week ago I got my bfp after 21 months of trying, taking temps etc. We decided to stop trying after the lap & dye for a while as we're getting married in March but clearly by body had other ideas. Only 8 weeks pregnant so still very early days and I'm terrified but it can happen with pcos. I was told I never ovulated so can only assume the dye flushed an egg out :)

Good luck on your ttc journey. Sending you lots of baby dust xx

Back