Self Confidence?

Hey i totally know how you feel i have been debating about doing somethin like zumba but before christmas i had looked into pole dancing as it supposed to be good build up muscle and tone so i decided as it january i have to do summat so last week i enquired about the pole dancing and a class starts tonight so ive decided im gonna go and try it :-[ x ive been looking at pictures and thinkin omg look at all the skinny ppl but im just gonna have to bite the bullet and just go for it. x The way i'm thinkn is at the end of it hopefully il be a bit more toned and it'll have helped me lose weight and i might even enjoy it x
So i think just go for go to the class walk in put on a front and see how that first class goes - i have to go into class tonight in a pair of shorts and i hate my legs so im reali worried about this plus il prob end up gettin a black eye with my boobs cos they r so big lol :) xxx

I know that crippling anxiety – I have stood outside bars, exercise classes, shops, gyms, changing rooms, too scared to go in because of what people will think of me. I too can act confident on the outside and be a wreck inside…but you know what? If you can act confident you can BE confident!

All those other people that you’re worried about…those skinny, fit people…you know what they’ll be thinking about? THEMSELVES! They won’t be thinking about you when they’re trying to master that tricky manoeuvre, they’ll just be focusing on themselves, their body and their workout. Slim people have body hangups too…some may have been fat and lost weight, some may think they are too skinny or not muscly enough or whatever…just because they’re slim doesn’t mean they don’t think about their bodies. Same at a gym or pool or wherever you are…whilst you worry about what they’re thinking of you, they are worried about themselves!

You don’t need a friend to hold your hand. Just get there nice and early, introduce yourself to the instructors, tell them you’re nervous but really keen and just go for it. You’ll feel so proud of yourself for doing it.

Hey just to tell you i went to a pole dancing class for the first time and i wuld b self concious and in all fairness do you know what made it better some who was alot heaver than me walked in and i thought to myself if they can do this then i certainly can - i know this sounds terrible but its wat got me to do the class and now i have decided to go back next week and do it again x

Just wanted to say after reading this thread I looked into the classes at my gym (which I pay for and havent been to in AGES) and went along to a Yogalatis class tonight. Really enjoyed it :)

So, so sorry to hear that you didn't feel confident enough to go into the class. I can understand why you feel upset about this.

I've only just started SW so can't say whether I feel more confident after weight loss, but I feel that being overweight is constantly there eating away at my self confidence, no matter what the situation.

Chin up, we'll get there x

aesir22 said:
Hi all,

Just a question for anyone approaching target, or even still away from target but still feel more confident...

On the outside I act quite confident and sure of myself but I know inside I'm not and tonight has proven that! I have always been big, since I was a little kid, and I have always had low self esteem though it doesn't always show. I have lost 2 stone (ish) and thought I was starting to feel good and confident.

But tonight I went to sign up for a karate class. It started at 8pm, so I got there a bit earlier but training had already begun. I looked inside to see young, fit, healthy people already sparring and my resolve to start just plummeted. Totally plunged. Physically could not bring myself to go in. I stood outside for a good ten minutes totally unsure what I was going to do. I WANT to start up but just couldn't. Maybe it would have been different if the class hadn't already started but such a reaction has made me feel a bit, well, in all honesty ashamed and upset. I am 27 and something so simple has really made me feel messed up!

Has anyone experienced this before? And maybe gotten past it somehow? Was it just when you lose weight and felt more confident, or did you do something else to boost your confidence levels?

I am so gutted because I really wanted to start and thought it would in itself help my self esteem! Sorry for the rant lol

Can you not ring up have a chat with the instructor explaining your confidence issues and worries and ask if it will be possible to arrange for a quick chat briefly before class starts?
That way you know who to ask for you can go directly up to him/her and Intraduce yourself as the person who rang up.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I forgot to mention this is common in people with confidence issues, I have lost weight and been very near target and the confidence issues were the same. I think the only way to change them is to tackle them emotional as the journey progresses.
But karate and similar sports are supposed to be about confidence building my daughters did kickboxing and loved it

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

It's a shame to thing that anybody feels like this. I am the opposite to you, I have far too much confidence for someone of my size and one day my mouth will get me into trouble.

Anyway, chances are that when you start your class and get chatting to people, you will realise that the majority of them were overweight when they started. I used to go to a kick boxing class and there was one girl who I judged purely on her appearance- she was slim, blonde and beautiful. We got speaking and she told me that she had been 20st when she started and proceeded to show me her excess skin from an epic weight loss- I immediately felt bad for thinking negatively of her, she was lovely.

So just give it a go! In the unlikely event that they are all arseholes you don't have to go again :D

Back