Self sabotage - why do we do it?

There must have been something in the air over the past couple of days... (have read a few posts along the same lines as mine). I have been doing really well with keeping to plan for the last couple of weeks (only been on SW for 3 weeks), STS this week so think that upset me - so to really scuper my own efforts I have decided to eat anything in my path this weekend (licking the spoon when making cakes, eating the cakes, chocolates, dougnut etc. etc.) :sign0007: I really don't know why I've done it, as I know obviously I will have a terrible weigh-in on Monday!!

Haven't even attempted to count the syns in what I've eaten...

I come on this forum everyday to keep me sain and to read about people that are going through to same as me, it's very comforting! It also seems that everyone has bad days, which makes me feel a bit better too!

Why do we do it... anyway, I have decided that I won't carry on with a "well I've already ruined this week" attitude, I am going to be super good today and stick to plan 100% (but won't be having any syns today obviously)

Wish me luck... :fingerscrossed:

I dont know why we do it, i am just the same espec if i havent lost any weight i just think whats the point and go on a food rampage and eat every bad thing i can find then feel really guilty and sick and wonder why i did it :(
It is good to know that im not the only one that does it and its good to hear that you are going to have a good day today and think positive, dont let the fatty food demons get you today!!
Good luck with weigh in tomorrow x

Something our Consultant said a while back has always stuck in my mind - if you have a bunch of flowers in a vase, and one of them goes over, you wouldn't throw out the WHOLE bunch would you, just the one that has finished. Think of your week like that, it's 7 days or 21 meals. OK, you just blew it today, but DON'T give up on the rest of the week. Think of that bunch of flowers and what you would do with that...

Somehow that really struck a chord with me, and has helped me on many occasions. If you haven't heard it before, I just hope that it will help some of you. Good Luck!

Why do we do it?
Well, we are human, so we all slip up.
The most important thing is to recognise that we can, and do slip up but also have the choice in drawing a line and carrying on. If we don't do that, we just get back to square one, and worse.
Don't worry too much about WI.. next week will be better if you get back on plan.
Good luck!

Something our Consultant said a while back has always stuck in my mind - if you have a bunch of flowers in a vase, and one of them goes over, you wouldn't throw out the WHOLE bunch would you, just the one that has finished. Think of your week like that, it's 7 days or 21 meals. OK, you just blew it today, but DON'T give up on the rest of the week. Think of that bunch of flowers and what you would do with that...

Somehow that really struck a chord with me, and has helped me on many occasions. If you haven't heard it before, I just hope that it will help some of you. Good Luck!
I love that! really helpful x

Thanks for all the support girls, I love the saying about the flowers - I will definitely keep that in mind!

I have really testing my willpower today, as have been making cupcakes with my kids today - and haven't licked the spoon or eaten any of the cakes!

I feel determined again now, and feel completely back on track :thankyou:

I've been there and I'm sure will again, actually I tend to have one of these days, sometimes weeks, every 4 weeks... see where I'm going with this? It may be that * week is affecting you and you haven't noticed it before now as you're 3 weeks into your journey! It may be handy to see if you can see a pattern emerging over the next few weeks and then at least you can be armed to tackle it - I still struggle when I get the 'attacks' but try to munch on free foods (berries etc.) before I succomb to the chocolate and sweet stuff!! Hope this helps?? xxx

Devon_Dumpling - Its like a light switch has just gone off, reading your post! * week starts tomorrow and I'm always worst with cravings on the few days running up to it... like you say, at least I know now and will definitely be armed for next month!

My hubby and kids have told me that my cakes were delicious, which is good! I actually enjoy feeding people more than I enjoy feeding myself sometimes (which is helpful LOL!) :)

I think part of the reason we self-sabotage is because we want things instantly. I want to wake up tomorrow with the body of Megan Fox! When we slip up we turn to the one thing that will make us feel happy the fastest and that is to satisfy our craving for icecream/cheesecake/crisps/chocolate whatever your particular downfall is because we know it will make us feel happy right now, even though it is in fact causing us our biggest pain.

Back