Self-Sabotage

cheryl7

I wondered why I keep falling off the diet wagon, and by doing so, keep sabotaging my own diet. I mean let's face it I've picked myself up so many times that when I now tell DH I'm on a diet he just rolls his eyes.

I got to googling it and found some interesting articles about self-sabotage. It makes for interesting reading. One of the blogs that made the most sense was Self-Sabotage & the Subconscious Mind:Overcoming self-sabotaging behavior

Here's what I think are some of the reasons behind my self-sabotage:

1. I don't get on with some of DH's family. I use my size and lack of confidence as an excuse not to visit them.
2. I have low self-esteem and my mother is *obsessed* with what everyone weighs, which adds to the low self-confidence. Ditto the using my size as an excuse not to visit her.
3. Or maybe with my low self-esteem I just don't think I deserve to be slimmer (and hence happier)

I guess I'm hoping that by understanding the reasons behind it, I'll be able to prevent it next time :)

Cheryl x

Hiya Cheryl,
I know exactly what you mean. I read a great book by Gillian Riley, Eating Less Say Goodbye to Overeating, where she explains quite logically that you don't have low self-esteem because you're overweight, you're overweight because you have low self-esteem! I think there's a lot to that. I've had self-esteem issues for as long as I can remember, and I also use my weight as an excuse not to see people or go out of the house. I've been getting better about this though, but building self-esteem is actually quite a bit more challenging than shifting weight! Being thin won't make you happy on the inside but it WILL strip you of your armour so maybe that's why we self-sabotage?

Good luck!

Thanks for letting me know about the book - I just started reading it tonight (yay for instant delivery E-Books!) and am liking it so far :)

Cheryl x

Back