September Money Challenge

Yikes that's a lot of money, when I had to ring them last year I called from work & was on hold for ages, so glad I wasn't paying!!!

From this weeks Martin's Money Tips

Rummage through your fridge, cupboards or even larder to check how many Finest or manufacturers' brands there are. Lots? The Downshift Challenge Tool could chop £850 a year off a £100 weekly shop.

I think I'm quite good at food shopping but going to have a look at the tool later
;)

Just make sure that its not the premium rate number that comes up when you google x

Try the website SAYNOTO0870.

They usually have landline alternatives. I bank online and they have a premium rate number advertised. I`ve used that website and used the landline recommended.

Hope it helps.

Yikes that's a lot of money, when I had to ring them last year I called from work & was on hold for ages, so glad I wasn't paying!!!

From this weeks Martin's Money Tips

Rummage through your fridge, cupboards or even larder to check how many Finest or manufacturers' brands there are. Lots? The Downshift Challenge Tool could chop £850 a year off a £100 weekly shop.

I think I'm quite good at food shopping but going to have a look at the tool later
;)

I did the challenge ages ago. Didn`t tell OH that I was using standard or value ingredients.
While on most of them you couldn`t tell the difference taste-wise. You certainly could when it came to paying the bill!!

OH was previously convinced that "you get what you pay for". Not any more. Often it`s supermarket hype. If you don`t like the cheaper brand, you can always go back. It`s certainly worth a go!!

Lloyds blocked my account yesterday.They were doing a security check on a payment to a builder I was making.Spent 20 mins on phone to them being interrogated by stupid questions like when did you start your contract with mobile phone company and I failed the security check.Got to go into a branch today to show photo id. It wasn't a free number either. :(

Why ask such stupid question.If I had known the questions before hand I could of got all the information to hand.She did say I could go and look for the paper work.The amount I got here to look through would of been another 10 mins or so on the phone call.:rolleyes:

How awful!! Hope you get it sorted!!

Granted not everything in the cheaper range is ok but you don't know til you try them.

If you really need to economise like we do then it can be a great help. OH is disabled & I had to give up work to care for him. Sometimes our finances dictate what we can buy. The finest range is one we can't always afford.

Granted not everything in the cheaper range is ok but you don't know til you try them.

If you really need to economise like we do then it can be a great help. OH is disabled & I had to give up work to care for him. Sometimes our finances dictate what we can buy. The finest range is one we can't always afford.

I often try the cheap range and if its just as good keep using it, we all prefer Aldi baked beans to Heinz now and DS prefers Aldi Malted Wheat to Kellogs(?) ones. ;)

I've just done the downsaver tool thingy & surprised with the results (just a snipet here)

Estimated annual savings:
If you downshift on everything: £1,179.88
Yet even if you TRY everything and only then downshift on half, that's a saving of: £589.94​

So looking at that it's worth trying the cheaper stuff just to see!!!

I found the real savings were on non-food items. Stuff like washing powder and kitchen towels.

My local Aldi and Iceland are next door to each other. Get Aldi`s washing powder, I found it`s just like persil. Kitchen towels and toilet rolls from Iceland at £1 each. Iceland`s Petal toilet rolls are every bit as good as Andrex.

What's the new job?

I started the year just spending what I needed & not buying non essential items, I don't seem to have been doing that lately!!! I'm going to give it another whirl when I return from hols in October.

I checked my bank account last night & it looks like I won't be going o/d this month which is fab especially as I had to transfer some of the regular savings money to Spain but forgot to amend my savings dd accordingly, so in effect transfered money to Spain and saved the usual monthly amount and I'm not o/d, happy days.

Its Bob's birthday when we get back from hols so need to sort out a pressie then I'm going to start Christmas shopping as well.

You said the "C" word!!

I took some of my own advice after the festive season last year and set up a savings scheme.
I have a credit munion account. Within that account you can have what they call "jam jar" accounts, as many as you like.
A bit like a piggy bank. So that you can save up for particular items. In my case Christmas. But it could be for you tv licence. MOT, anything you like. You just tell them how much per week/month you want in each jam jar, seperate from normal savings. Then tell them when you want to withdraw the money.

In my case I`ve been saving £20 per week since last January and gave them a withdrawal date of 1st Dec. So I should have close to £1000.
Most weeks I haven`t really noticed it and it will be a great help. Intend to do the same for next year!!

Flippin eck what a fab idea, jam jar accts, in January I set up little pots on my current account, one for car (mot etc), birthdays and holidays the holiday one is for extra savings and not a regular one, I have a different real holiday acct where I just move money easily from it. I really found these little pots helpful especially at MOT time it's amazing how little money you need to transfer and how soon it starts to add up & make a difference to things.

Yep I did say the C word, I've been thinking of 'C' since January, lol

Back