Shake That Weight...new beginnings

Night shifts are the worst, aren't they? I don't do night shifts now (which I'm so grateful for) - I haven't for 2 years, in fact. When I first started nights, I would join in with everyone else, crisps etc (and the odd takeaway!) during the night shift. All I wanted to do after a night shift was come home and pig out, all on unhealthy stuff, but towards the end, I couldn't face eating at night anymore. I would have my 'lunch' (a couple of sandwiches) as I was leaving work, but nothing over night. I tried to get in to a more normal routine, so would get up after a couple of hours after my last night shift, and then, by that evening, I'd want the crisps and chocolates etc. It's not surprising night work is bad for your health!

Anyway, in the 12s - that's fab!

Thanks, my weight loss is sloowww but I am going in the right direction. I wonder if that is because of the shifts I do. I work nights mixed in with long days, weekends, and sometimes don't really know what day of the week it is or whether it's time to eat or not. Night shifts are the worst (as you say) for pigging out! I think being tired just makes your body crave sweets and junk and until a few weeks ago when I began this diet that's exactly what I did. I'd finish a shift and at the train station I'd get a sugary coffee and a pastry, I'd call off at the supermarket at my station and get more 'goodies'. We have a rest room which is always full of doughnuts, chocolate, cake and biscuits. People just fill it with absolute sugar - I guess that is what people need. I don't think I'll be doing these shifts for a long time.... I'm glad for you that you aren't doing nights anymore! :)

I did another workout today. I've had a stiff neck (coupled with a migraine) and had to abandon a workout the other day as my neck felt like it was gonna break when I tried to do a sit up! But tried again today and got through a weights workout and 5 mins of abs. Felt glad that I'd done it. I am still 12st 13Ib. I just don't understand why the weight is not falling off. Not meaning to sound goody two shoes but I have honestly not cheated and can't understand why my weight is so slow and sticking like glue. I stay the same for a whole week and then get 1Lb or 2Lb off right at the end.

I am really trying to be grateful for what I am losing. I feel a bit of a brat for complaining about it all the time. At least it is going down. I realised that I put pressure on myself in life in general and think that I should be perfect. I think my weight loss should be coming off 'perfectly' and life isn't like that is it?! So, looking forward to next Monday's weigh in. And...I will not complain! :whistle: whatever the result may be.

That was exactly what I was like after nights! And the nurse's station would always be covered with sweets, crisps, flapjacks etc on a night shift.

I'm a little bit like that - I really thought I wasn't going to make it to my goal this week as by Wednesday I'd gone up to 141kg. Friday morning, though, it had suddenly dropped to 139.6kg - bodies are weird things aren't they?

Sometimes the scales don't show the results we expect and often at times like this I have noticed that my clothes would be getting loser...get the tape measure out to see if you are losing inches.

Good luck Sasha with Monday weigh in...hope it's a good one.

Thank you all, I am looking forward to tomorrow's weigh in. I decided to take Mini's advice and take my measurements:

PREVIOUS:
Starting measurements 27th April - 14st 9lb
Bust: 44 and a half inches
Waist: 37 and a half inches
Hips: 45 inches
Left thigh: 26 and a half inches
Right thigh: 26 and a half inches
Top right arm: 14 and a half inches
Left right arm: 14 and a half inches

Measurements today 6th June - 13st 6lbs
Bust: 42 and three quarter (1 and 3/4 inches loss)
Waist: 35 inches (2 and a half inches loss)
Hips: 43 inches (2 inches loss)
Left thigh: 25 and a half inches (1 inches loss)
Right thigh: 25 and three quarter (3/4 inches loss)
Top right arm: 14 inches (half inches loss)
Left right arm: 14 inches (half inches loss)

TODAY'S MEASUREMENTS @ 12st 13Ib:
Bust: 41 inches (1 and 3/4 loss)
Waist: 32 and a quarter inches (2 and 3/4 loss)
Hips: 42 inches (1 inch loss)
Left thigh: 25 inches (3/4 inch loss)
Right thigh: 25 inches (1/2 inch loss)
Top right arm: 13 inches (1 inch loss)
Left right arm: 13 inches (1 inch loss)

INCH LOSS SINCE LAST MEASUREMENTS 13st 6Ib on 6th June: 8 and 3/4 inches
TOTAL INCHES LOST SINCE BEGINNING 14st 9Ib on 28th April: 17 and 3/4 inches

Total off bust: 3 and half inches
Total off waist: 5 and a quarter inches
Total off Hips: 3 inches
Total off left thigh: 1 and a half inches
Total off right thigh: 1 and a half inches
Total off right arm: 1 and a half inches
Total off left arm: 1 and a half inches

Not bad!

Last edited:
That was exactly what I was like after nights! And the nurse's station would always be covered with sweets, crisps, flapjacks etc on a night shift.

I'm a little bit like that - I really thought I wasn't going to make it to my goal this week as by Wednesday I'd gone up to 141kg. Friday morning, though, it had suddenly dropped to 139.6kg - bodies are weird things aren't they?

Yes the body is very weird. How can you go up in weight one minute, then do nothing different and when weigh in day rolls round a few pounds come off. I guess that's a lesson for me to try not to weigh every day. The books and websites tell you not to but it is true! (not that I'm going to stop lol) but it could give a false reading and make me eat out of frustration. "Not losing weight, so I might as well have a cheat (treat) day", and if only I'd waited then the scales would've shot down....story of my life! Not this time though, I'm doing it for my old selves who have cried looking in the mirror and felt frustrated at being ignored because they are large. x

Sometimes the scales don't show the results we expect and often at times like this I have noticed that my clothes would be getting loser...get the tape measure out to see if you are losing inches.

Good luck Sasha with Monday weigh in...hope it's a good one.

Thank you, Mini. Taken my measurements and feel better :) x

12st 11Ib that's a whole 1lb off this week!! Yes, I am being sarcastic but it's taken me in to the 'overweight' category for BMI rather than Obese which is inspirational to me. So, I'm happy. Just done a workout - on a night shift - so will have a nice shower, a pack of banana and a lot of water and that's my Monday done. :)

12st 11Ib that's a whole 1lb off this week!! Yes, I am being sarcastic but it's taken me in to the 'overweight' category for BMI rather than Obese which is inspirational to me. So, I'm happy. Just done a workout - on a night shift - so will have a nice shower, a pack of banana and a lot of water and that's my Monday done. :)
Your inch loss is brilliant! When you see it written down you know you are shrinking.:D

Well done on being overweight and saying goodbye to being obese...all these milestones are very important achievements on your weight loss journey and we should take our time and give ourselves a pat on the back for doing so well.

Well done on all you have achieved since starting on the 27th April :0clapper:

Thank you! :) If only taking the weight off was as easy as putting it on! But I'm still determined. A T25 workout today, I've eaten.....boyfriend came round and had beef with veggies. I didn't do too bad but did have wine.... oops. Not happened for a while. But have a few days to make amends!
Next week is quite tricky, cinema with friends Wednesday and the girlie's want popcorn and slush puppies??!! And then Saturday it's a friend's birthday. Night out for dinner, Karoke and night club and LOTS of alcohol... I just have to exercise like a demon when I can and maybe limit the naughties. Probably lose 5Ib that week knowing me! :)

Anyway, sorry I'm thinking it's the weekend I'm sooo mixed up with my days but all's good. x

Wow your progress from April is amazing! :) Well done I'm really going to enjoy following your progress!

Wow your progress from April is amazing! :) Well done I'm really going to enjoy following your progress!

Thank you Hana! My progress feels very slow but I think that I've taken weight off fast in the past and then put it back on (and some) so hoping this time I'll keep it off and tone up as it's slower which will give my body chance to catch up... Good luck on your journey too. I find writing a diary can help sometimes! x

I've just had a Slim & Save shake...Carrot Cake. One word? Yuk!! The good news is that I've discovered 2 Slim & Save coconut bars that were hidden in the back of the drawer - thought I'd run out and was only left with Shake That Weight bars which are half the size and pretty average. So happy days :nananana:

It's weigh in day tomorrow, I think I've stayed the same. I have had my boyfriend back and even though I've still had half the calories I was eating before, I've had some food and yesterday I had a home made curry (no rice, no naan, no poppodum) just a bowl of the curry and all I'd had apart from that was a couple of packs, but the way my weight loss is going that alone would put weight on me.

So, I won't let it affect me too much as I've got a hard week coming up so I am just going to do my best on the days I have nothing on and put these 2 weeks down to 'life'. Wednesday cinema and Saturday dinner and dancing. I've been working quite hard the past week and haven't had a chance to exercise much either. I tried today and managed 20 minutes of Insanity 3o. I just couldn't go on after 20 minutes. I think that being so tired from work just finished me off, it was good to get 20 mins done - better than nothing - and I think on this diet it's essential to listen to your body....even though I've been on the diet loosely!

My boyfriend has not stopped eating today. He is munching his way through a box of maltesers now. Before that it's been the leftover curry, crisps, jam and cream doughnut.... #lifeschallenges

Hope everyone has had a good week.

I didn't weigh today. Thought I'd weigh either later in the week or next Monday. I feel so bloated I didn't want to risk having put on weight as that would be depressing.

Well done for managing to sit and watch him eat and not sabotage yourself though :) Best not to weigh yourself if it's likely going to be negative motivation, you're doing great :)

Thank you, Hana! :)
This is tough. I am finding this week really soul destroying already. I've eaten (little bits here and there) but I know it is a slippery slope. I haven't exercised as much as I would have done if my boyfriend wasn't here and I have stolen bits of food off his plate. I am still on my packs but I know tomorrow now the cinema is cancelled and we're going for a meal instead. I plan to stick to veg, salad, fish but that and Saturday night and now Sunday I'll be out for lunch too. It's all going down hill.

I do not want to go back to 14st 9lb and I'm determined to stay strong. This week was always going to be a write off. Thursday I'm on a night shift and I'll exercise as I normally do. Tomorrow night I'll eat as I said I would (fish/salad), and when I can I'll stick to my packs. I knew it wasn't going to be easy but I'm finding this a struggle!!

Need to keep the end goal in mind. I know that if I can lose a stone I'll be in the 11's and feel great! That won't be near my goal but I still look ok in the 11's so I am thinking of the next stone only and not beyond. Just while I'm struggling. Here goes nothing. x

I'm still going! It has been a hard slog these past few weeks. I've cheated (quite a bit), I've exercised and got back on it, I've had great days, hard days and write it off days. I now weigh 12st 8lb - not nearly as little as I'd have liked. 2 weeks and 3 days until my trip away. I am hoping (with renewed effort) that I can hit the 11's. Even if it's 11st 13Ib I'd be really happy. That is 8lb in just over 2 weeks. I would've said in the past that's doable but with my track record with dieting this time I am not so sure. I'll do my best though....

I am in to size 14 for the most part although some size 14's are a little tight depending on the style, and have had to throw away 2 pairs of size 16 trousers which were falling off me. Good feeling!

I went to Zumba last night (the lady who has inspired Lorraine Kelly on GMTV's class) it was excellent. Pumping music and the room was very hot so I definitely worked up a sweat.

Here is to a very productive couple of weeks.

Last edited:
12st 7lb just a 1lb loss but that's ok. I've struggled...had sweeties, bread, wine. Back on it. One and a half weeks until weekend away, plus I have a party o go to on 20th August and I haven't seen the people for ages. I want to feel great at that party. So often I go out to events and feel like a mess!!

If you've read some of my diary you'll see one size does not fit all, on paper you can say I'm going on a vlcd and will lose a stone every two weeks but life has other plans. Yes I've cheated, I've also been strict and had low weight losses despite exercising like a demon and guzzling water, but the main thing is to pick yourself up and carry on. Start again...even if it's not the next day it could be the next month you begin again! But just do it.

I am as determined today as I've ever been. My journey is a slow meander downward to goal but it's MY journey and unique, I am in awe of people who can do Shake That Weight and it falls off, 11lb one week then 4lb or 5 lb every week thereafter until goal, but I've realised that they are my inspiration not a stick to beat myself with cause I'm failing and they're winning. I'm determined to get there.

Watch this space.... :)

Back