Shake That Weight...new beginnings

Favourite flavours so far: banana, chocolate (made with hot water), strawberry - although it has little bits in it! These are the 3 shakes I live on. I also like the noodles, I have decided to keep some noodles in reserve because I often get in from work and just feel like I NEED something to chew on. Although, if you haven't tried the noodles don't get too excited as they are more mush than something you actually chew but to me it feels more food like than a shake. Weighed again today, still 13st 5lb. I am confused...
Wonder what Monday's weigh in will bring. I am tempted to do some exercise tonight. Next week I am planning to exercise at least 3 to 4 times so if I get a better weight loss after that I'll know that my lack of weight loss is because I haven't moved my bum enough!

I know what you mean about random shifts - my neighbour was busy building a conservatory when I was on night shifts once. It was horrible! My other neighbour had a noisy girlfriend once (he's got a new one since then and I've not heard her). I made just as much noise in my bedroom in the hope that they would realise that if they could hear us, we could hear them. It worked and I didn't hear her again!

No advice about the weight loss, I'm afraid other than to agree that doing some exercise might help.

If he is playing loud music/making undue noise after 11pm or before 8am call your council. Not sure if it comes under environmental health or something else, but they will advise. What he's doing is completely wrong. Keep a diary, note if/when it happens, if/when you ask him to stop and especially if he is aggressive (that includes bad language) It's basically grounds for an asbo and he needs to be stopped for everyone's sake. Actually, talk to your neighbours too, you will act as each other's witnesses and also it is safer for you.
If he gets beyond bad language aggressive, call the police and make sure you get an incident number.

Thank you both for advice on my neighbour. Isn't it awful when you feel stressed in your own home!! But great advice I'll and talk to him about the noise (and my other neighbours) but my flat and his are a bit apart from other people but it's that loud I'm sure it can be heard a mile off!!

I met my boyfriend today. I don't get to see him much at the moment as he's working away and just comes back some weekends. Unfortunately, I am usually working weekends so when we do see each other it's a real treat! We walked for miles today (from Victoria all the way to Kensington and back again!!! Through Hyde Park) well I did say that I needed to exercise. Stopped off for a couple of coffees and we had lunch! He had fish and chips and onion rings and I had a side salad and seasonal vegetables. I think that was ok? I did steal one of his onion rings - the temptation was too much. I had a couple of diet cokes too. When I got in I just had a strawberry shake as it was late I could only fit 1 x shake in. Not enough calories once again but it could've been worse. Maybe a few veggies will aid my weight loss! :)

I think that my boyfriend will be pleased when I've lost weight. He's been supportive and very patient with my many attempts, but I think he would love me to be a bit slimmer. He likes curvy girls but probably not as big as I am! And my unhappiness at my size and lack of confidence makes him sad. Only one more day until my weigh in. I am determined to do this!!

My mouth is sooooo dry! It's made my tongue sore as I think I'm subconsciously sucking on my tongue to try and get some moisture into my mouth. :-o
I have drunk such a lot of water today, I reckon about 4 ltrs....mostly due to my dry mouth, trying to quench my thirst.

I've eaten today. I think that after yesterday only eating a few veggies and one pack I've paid the price today. However, not all bad, I had 3 rashers of bacon on a bed of broccoli and Brussel sprouts. Weird I know but it was absolutely lovely!! Plus 2 x packs and 1 x noodles. I also did a workout - T25 which is really good and I only have to keep going for 25 minutes which is bearable. I also did Body Blade just a Super 6 workout for my arms. Felt knackered afterwards and that's when I ate.

Weigh in tomorrow...I don't hold out much hope! But a few pounds off would be nice. :)

Last edited:
Weighed today, 3lb loss this week. That makes 8lb overall. I am quite pleased (considering that in the past I've lost 11lb in week one this slower weight loss is a whole new experience for me) hopefully next Monday I can get into the 12's. My next goal is to go from 'obese' category BMI which I fall in to at the moment to 'overweight' and I think that changes when I'm 12st 10lb. So I am working towards that.

Another good day on the diet. I went to the hairdressers this morning. For the last few years I've been fat, frumpy and really not bothered with my apprearance (things like getting my hair done was not a priority, what was the point anyway when I looked so awful body wise) so I am making an effort to start smartening myself up. Even though I'm nowhere near to goal I feel much better with highlights and good looking hair. Better make the most of it as with this diet it could go all thin...at least something on me would be thin :p let's hope that doesn't happen though! I've had my hair go thin through stress in the past - not a good feeling.

Hope everyone is having a great Monday. x

Last edited:
Hi, I've just been reading your diary, well done on your first few days. I really like doing VLCD's as I find they suit me and I do well losing weight on them, but I agree socially they are a nightmare! Your weeks sound like a lot of mine (not currently as I'm recovering from an op) but usually I do a mixture of just meal replacement packs when I can, and having them for breakfast and lunch and a low carb damage-limitation option when I can't, or indeed just fancy proper food! I think the most important thing is keeping a sense of perspective about the whole thing; if you have an "off plan" meal you have not blown the whole caboodle, and even if you do have something totally forbidden then hey, draw a line under it and get back on track, in the grand scheme of things it won't be a big deal over the weeks or months it will take you to get to where you want to be. I always rationalise it to myself that 3500 calories equates to one lb of fat-that's scientific fact. So even if you went over your 600 calorie target by 200 calories every day, it would only make a difference of less than 2lb over a whole month!

The one thing I would stress is that you really need to eat the full number of packs per day, as if you are in ketosis and not getting enough protein, your body will burn lean muscle, so you need to make sure you are getting that protein to protect your lean muscle mass. So again, if you are having a meal rather than a shake make sure it contains plenty of lean protein - like chicken, or fish - sea bass is excellent!

5lb is an awesome loss in your first week, I know some get massive losses but a lot of it is water initially! Going back to my 3,500 cals=1lb fat equation, think how much calorie deficit you'd need to lose all that! Just keep doing what you're doing and you'll get there, you've got about 10 weeks till the end of August and should be able to lose at least two stone by then! xx

Hi, I've just been reading your diary, well done on your first few days. I really like doing VLCD's as I find they suit me and I do well losing weight on them, but I agree socially they are a nightmare! Your weeks sound like a lot of mine (not currently as I'm recovering from an op) but usually I do a mixture of just meal replacement packs when I can, and having them for breakfast and lunch and a low carb damage-limitation option when I can't, or indeed just fancy proper food! I think the most important thing is keeping a sense of perspective about the whole thing; if you have an "off plan" meal you have not blown the whole caboodle, and even if you do have something totally forbidden then hey, draw a line under it and get back on track, in the grand scheme of things it won't be a big deal over the weeks or months it will take you to get to where you want to be. I always rationalise it to myself that 3500 calories equates to one lb of fat-that's scientific fact. So even if you went over your 600 calorie target by 200 calories every day, it would only make a difference of less than 2lb over a whole month!

The one thing I would stress is that you really need to eat the full number of packs per day, as if you are in ketosis and not getting enough protein, your body will burn lean muscle, so you need to make sure you are getting that protein to protect your lean muscle mass. So again, if you are having a meal rather than a shake make sure it contains plenty of lean protein - like chicken, or fish - sea bass is excellent!

5lb is an awesome loss in your first week, I know some get massive losses but a lot of it is water initially! Going back to my 3,500 cals=1lb fat equation, think how much calorie deficit you'd need to lose all that! Just keep doing what you're doing and you'll get there, you've got about 10 weeks till the end of August and should be able to lose at least two stone by then! xx

Thank you so much, Tickettyboo. You've put it in perspective for me. :) sometimes it can feel very lonely VLCD'ing. And, I didn't realise that the body burns lean muscle if I'm not getting enough protein....that's really made me even more determined to have all my packs!! I know that when I don't have them it's a false economy because the next day I am not good. But I will make a real effort to get the full quota in. And when you put the calories that equate to a pound of fat that's really interesting. It's a balance and I am not going to beat myself up about going out for dinner occasionally. I think it probably does the body good to have some 'real' protein such as fish/chicken then back on the plan.

I've put nearly 5 stone on over a long period and I know that it's quite unrealistic to suddenly want it all off in a few weeks. I have to accept that as I'm getting older especially, that my weight loss is slowing down (I'm coming up to 47). But you are very wise, 10 weeks I could make a good dent in it if I carry on. I feel better already to be honest and my stomach is flatter and my jeans today feel a little looser so I guess I should celebrate the positive losses rather than wanting more. :rolleyes:

Congratulations on your losses. You obviously take your own advice! Well done it gives new starters like me hope. xx

Just finished a night shift... I thought I'd treat myself and ordered some products from Slim & Save just to try a little different. I ordered just one of each; cookies & cream, chocolate orange, chocolate mint, lemon yogurt, carrot cake and coconut plus some bars for convenience. I don't know why I went to Slim & Save rather than Shake That Weight, probably because I liked the sound of the shakes. I have my Shake That Weight favourites and, as I'm going to be on this plan for a while, I think it's important to have as much variety as possible.

Just tried the lemon yogurt one. It was nice I added a dash of milk and some ice cubes and water and it did make me reminisce about having a nice creamy lemon dessert. So a good start. I definitely feel slimmer today - whoop whoop - I am heading towards the 12's. It will be so lovely to get into the next stone down. At 14st 9lb feeling better felt so far away but once I am in the 12's I know that I am half way and will just start to look and feel better and better each week.

This diet takes all the decisions and hard work out of it for me (well it's hard work for me to count calories and just have one biscuit or 30g of pasta) I WANT IT ALL lol. It definitely wouldn't suit everyone and I think if you've got a family and lots of different people to cater for then it might be easier to calorie count. But my boyfriend is working away and so I'm home alone which means it's the perfect timing for me. I just hope that this resolve doesn't disappear. I sooooo want to do this.

Weighed yesterday (couldn't help myself) and was 13st 2lb, I also did T25 lower body workout and Body Blade Super 6. I am finding it hard to walk today my body hurts. But someone at work commented that I looked better...'fresh' I think they said! I think all the water has also helped my skin to look brighter and I feel more energetic. I used to come in from a night shift (sugary coffee and pastry in hand) and then veg out. Today I have put the music channel on and want to get up and dance :wee:. I am obviously slightly losing the plot x

Last edited:
I'm 61 and have been a yo yo dieter all my adult life, have been everything from a size 12 to a 28 and all stops in between! As you say, as you get older it does get harder to lose the weight and the biggest effect has been on my health, particularly my joints. I had a total knee replacement 4 weeks ago and if there is one thing I would say to my younger self it would be to take more care of myself, most of my reasons for wanting to lose weight in the past were to look better while really I should have realised that your body can't be expected to take that many years of abuse and not suffer! As you say also, if you have a lot to lose it isn't going to happen overnight and I have learned to be realistic. I will have bad days, parties, meals out and fun stuff is going to happen during that time and it's about living. For me VLCD's work the best having tried every diet known to man but they are tough, and I try to stick to the packs when I can, and try to choose sensibly if I'm out.

Thanks for the congratulations but I feel a bit of a fraud...I've not updated my ticker recently and know I've put a lot of that back on. I had to get my BMI down to 35 to have the op and did do really well, but four weeks of being spoilt rotten by my hubby and family, plus being immobile has meant I think I'm probably not far off where I started but I'm not going to beat myself up about it! I'm in it for the long haul :)

Keep going, you're doing so well, you can feel the difference already. That's a great start! x

I'm 61 and have been a yo yo dieter all my adult life, have been everything from a size 12 to a 28 and all stops in between! As you say, as you get older it does get harder to lose the weight and the biggest effect has been on my health, particularly my joints. I had a total knee replacement 4 weeks ago and if there is one thing I would say to my younger self it would be to take more care of myself, most of my reasons for wanting to lose weight in the past were to look better while really I should have realised that your body can't be expected to take that many years of abuse and not suffer! As you say also, if you have a lot to lose it isn't going to happen overnight and I have learned to be realistic. I will have bad days, parties, meals out and fun stuff is going to happen during that time and it's about living. For me VLCD's work the best having tried every diet known to man but they are tough, and I try to stick to the packs when I can, and try to choose sensibly if I'm out.

Thanks for the congratulations but I feel a bit of a fraud...I've not updated my ticker recently and know I've put a lot of that back on. I had to get my BMI down to 35 to have the op and did do really well, but four weeks of being spoilt rotten by my hubby and family, plus being immobile has meant I think I'm probably not far off where I started but I'm not going to beat myself up about it! I'm in it for the long haul :)

Keep going, you're doing so well, you can feel the difference already. That's a great start! x

I too have yo-yo dieted since I was about 12 years old...or perhaps younger! I know what you mean about health and my joints (knees) sometimes feel like they're gonna give way and sometimes when I turn over in bed I actually have trouble with my joints aching so much. And really, I know that there's a lot of heart disease in my family and various things like diabetes. I think, before I started this, I was heading towards diabetic. I just had my blood done when I had been on this diet for about a week and my blood sugar, liver function and other tests came back normal. I don't think it would've been so positive had I had those tests done when I was at my worst, I lived on sweets, cakes, chips, any quick fix to give me comfort or a sugar high.

It must be really hard for you being immobile. I think it would definitely make me want to eat and you can't really do VLCD when you are trying to recover. Sounds like you've got a lovely husband and family! And you've got the weight moving for the op so you can do it again. :) I have been moaning about my slow weight losses but actually before you know it the weight does come off. Good luck!!

Slim & Save coconut bar with a nice cup of tea...yum. Glad I bought 5 bars lol. Very chewy and just what my teeth needed - a good workout!

Still on it....but I have done lots of hours in a short space of time which has meant long days at work, yesterday I got off the train and just needed food. I picked up a steak from the supermarket and had that with some broccoli and green beans (and I am ashamed to say some butter!) just a little :rolleyes: so the rate I'm losing weight that's probably put the dampner on this week's weight loss.

I just had a Cookies & Cream pack from Slim & Save - it was bearable at first, tasted a bit like a digestive that's gone off, but towards the end it's made me feel really sick. I still haven't found any that are good enough to replace my 3 favourites from Shake That Weight (chocolate, strawberry, banana). Still have a few to try though!

Been a busy week. I was away for the last 3 days. Weighed on Monday 13st 1lb so a 2lb loss.
Oh, I wish that I was having bigger losses but I'm still keeping going!!!! :)

Thank you for your support. I am kind of coming round to accepting that my weight loss is not going to be 10lb per week and that 2lb isn't too bad because in 8 weeks by the time I go away with my parner's family I could be 16lb down. I put new batteries in my scales (for ages it has said Lo) so put the new batteries on last night and weighed I'd put on 5lb. I was mortified!!!! Weighed again this morning...against my better judgement as I am just torturing myself but was sooooo pleased. I am 12st 13lbs. Whoop Whoop. I am in the 12's. :banana_dancer::woohoo: nothing could ruin this day. Not even my impending night shift.

I had some tuna with vegetables last night. I've come to the conclusion that my journey is going to be packs, bars and noodles but at least 2 days a week just packs. Then on the days that I feel like I need food I'll have it. But what I'll have is tuna, mackerel, steak, chicken or salmon with veg or salad. Not any veg that is quite sweet like peas but broccoli, salad leaves, beans etc. I am not going to deny food if I've been running around like crazy.

Today I have drank lots and lots of water already and done a workout. I have been doing T25 and I love Shaun T and his insane workouts So I treated myself to Insanity 30. It is a 8 week programme - fab cause in-case you hadn't noticed by me going on about it over and over - there is now 8 week until my trip. So I shall follow this workout programme along with the diet over the 8 weeks. With my shifts it's not always possible for me to do the workout as he says (ie; Monday cardio, Tuesday abs) but what I'll do is if he has 5 workouts on the calendar I'll do them when I'm not on double nights! First workout was cardio, what a killer. I followed the modifier for 3/4 of the workout and was like a beetroot by the end but oh my word it felt good.

Anyway, better go now. Have a good Saturday x

I have just tried a coconut shake from Slim & Save. I had high hopes for the Slim & Save shakes, a great range of flavours and I am disappointed. The Shake That Weight ones are thick and creamy I love them - think I've been spoilt. I prefer the Slim & Save bars but shakes I've decided I'll stick to my usual suspects. Two people at work commented on my weight loss which was nice and I'm spending a fortune on clothes (most of which don't fit me yet!) and beauty products (because I'm starting to think I want to look nice!) Taking pride in myself and wanting to look nice instead of just accepting I don't is a new experience!

It should've been my weigh in today but as I was on a night shift and went shopping and had had drinks etc by the time I got home I'll weigh tomorrow instead.

Night shifts are the worst, aren't they? I don't do night shifts now (which I'm so grateful for) - I haven't for 2 years, in fact. When I first started nights, I would join in with everyone else, crisps etc (and the odd takeaway!) during the night shift. All I wanted to do after a night shift was come home and pig out, all on unhealthy stuff, but towards the end, I couldn't face eating at night anymore. I would have my 'lunch' (a couple of sandwiches) as I was leaving work, but nothing over night. I tried to get in to a more normal routine, so would get up after a couple of hours after my last night shift, and then, by that evening, I'd want the crisps and chocolates etc. It's not surprising night work is bad for your health!

Anyway, in the 12s - that's fab!

Back