Shall i leave group & do this at home?

grumbletumble

Silver Member
I know £5 a week isn't a lot to most people but we are on a tight budget & i'm wondering if i could use the money i'd spend on group on more fresh fruit/veg instead.

Do many people here do sw alone at home? I'm wondering if doing this on my own might make me lose my motivation.

Just wondering if anyone has any opinions on whether group or at home is best?

:D

I think quite a lot do it from home and replace the group support with minimins, which I actually find better because it's available 24/7.

Hi!
I absolutely love group, and if I didn't go then I would totally lose motivation and would probably give up!
However, I understand that being on a tight budget is hard, it depends if you enjoy going to group, or do you just go to be weighed really.
If you stay to image therapy on a regular basis, that shows that you probably do enjoy group and could probably do with staying there.
But only you can decide!
I tried dieting/slimming on my own for a year, and lost nothing at the end of it! I really need that push!
If you have been succsessful with going to group and think about why you've been succsessful, and if going to group has been a major factor, I'd stay!
Im sorry I wasnt much help! x

I agree with what's been said. Support here is good.
I cannot afford groups again at the mo.
So that's £20 in my pocket.
Some need the group support. Everyones different.
I'm motivated enough to go it alone and always lose weight.

I agree its a lot of money if you add it up over the weeks (especially if you gain) but in the long run i would suggest groups are better. Although theres a lot of support available, especially this website, i couldnt do it at home on my own its so much eaier to slip back into old habits.

I tried slimming world last year and thought i could do it at home on my own but i put all the weight back on. If you go to group and youve got a good leader then it shoul be a fun time, and what i call 'me time'.

xxx

i am doing sw at home and i must admit that i have found that i need double the amount of self displine without the session. but like you i cant afford to go really, its not so much the £5 but i would have to get a taxi home which is another £5 (i would walk but the nearest group isnt in the safest of areas to be walking home from and it would take about 30-40minutes and id be alone) then id be wanting extra books, hi fi bars etc etc and it soon mounts up.
i think if you are really determined and have the motivation then try it at home. ive been doing it at home for 2 weeks and ive lost 8lbs x

I find when I try and do it myself I don't succeed. I need the discipline of going to a class every week. But we are all different.

Irene xx

I need the class to remain motivated and sticking to the plan, otherwise I just end up cheating myself. Sometimes I can go months following it from home, but eventually I fall off the wagon and into a cake!

Some people are very successful following it from home, but not everyone has the same self discipline.

If cost is an issue, have you thought of asking your doctors if they do 'slimming on referral' as that could save you 12 weeks worth of weekly subs?

I have tried to do it alone, with any diet but i now know that i need that someone to weigh me each week. When ive done it alone i have been okay for one week, then the next not, then it ends up as a bad month and so on. My will power isnt very good, its all about having will power and being strong.

Knowing someone will be weighing me each week just helps me stay focused a little more, but everyone is different. £5 a week for me is quite a lot as my wages are not that great from work :( (i work part time and study) so i know what you mean.

Good luck. :D

I need the group and weekly weigh-in, I tried it by myself for 4 weeks and put on every week! But on the other hand, my mom did it at home for 5 months and lost 3 stone. All depends on your motivation. Things like here and fb are great for support, I suggest if you do decide to weigh at home you get a "kick me up the arse" friend for those bad weeks! to replace the consultant lol I was my moms ;) x

I get absolutely nothing from group at all. I get bored BUT . . . and it's a big but, with the group I lose weight without I don't. xx

Thanks for all the advice you guys!

Hi!
I absolutely love group, and if I didn't go then I would totally lose motivation and would probably give up!
However, I understand that being on a tight budget is hard, it depends if you enjoy going to group, or do you just go to be weighed really.
If you stay to image therapy on a regular basis, that shows that you probably do enjoy group and could probably do with staying there.
But only you can decide!
I tried dieting/slimming on my own for a year, and lost nothing at the end of it! I really need that push!
If you have been succsessful with going to group and think about why you've been succsessful, and if going to group has been a major factor, I'd stay!
Im sorry I wasnt much help! x
I do enjoy the group & everyone there is lovely, but sometimes i feel that when everyone is disheartened it can rub off on me too :(

What's image therapy? I've never heard of that?

If you are worried about motivation, come over to the Sunday weighers thread. Me and TheMissus are home-weighing veggies too. You can be in our wee gang :D

That sounds fab! Thank you :) I have to talk to my mum as she comes with me, but get the feeling she would be happy to leave anytime! So i'll get back to you :)

It's a hard decision- One the one hand i feel i can do it on my own but i will have to be very disciplined- like a lot of you said it's easy to slip into old habits. Minimins has been a godsend, so i feel it can help with home sw....yay for minimins & everyone who posts (thankies!) But maybe if i do feel myself sliping i could go back to group- If you leave for a few weeks but then feel you need to go back do you have to pay for the weeks you missed?

grumbletumble said:
Thanks for all the advice you guys!

I do enjoy the group & everyone there is lovely, but sometimes i feel that when everyone is disheartened it can rub off on me too :(

What's image therapy? I've never heard of that?

That sounds fab! Thank you :) I have to talk to my mum as she comes with me, but get the feeling she would be happy to leave anytime! So i'll get back to you :)

It's a hard decision- One the one hand i feel i can do it on my own but i will have to be very disciplined- like a lot of you said it's easy to slip into old habits. Minimins has been a godsend, so i feel it can help with home sw....yay for minimins & everyone who posts (thankies!) But maybe if i do feel myself sliping i could go back to group- If you leave for a few weeks but then feel you need to go back do you have to pay for the weeks you missed?

:( you have to be determined, this is about you not them!
Image therapy is what you do after weigh in :) xx

I'm doing it at home. I did it at a group last year and lost just under a stone but then money got tight and my uni hours changed meaning that I couldn't get to group. I've maintained that weight loss since then but didn't lose any more.

I find keeping a diary on minimins and having a ticker etc and hopefully soon being able to put on 1/2 stone loss stickers is a good motivation. There's loads of good advice here and hte diary keeps me going. However I know that's because I'm now motivated to do it. If you have the motivation using minimins and being accountable to someone (my hubby in my case) is excellent and saves you £20 per month (plus the books I used to buy and the raffle tickets and taking in fruit for slimmer of the week - it all mounted up)

Personally I have to go to group can't do it alone tried online to and love going to group meeting new Ppl and pick up lots of tips aswel :) also loving this forum !!

I am such a spendthrift and always end up spending like a tenner a class on hi fi bars, scan bran, books, the raffle... I would save myself a fortune if I started doing it at home!!

Back