Share the most valuable thing you've learnt...

Poppysparkle

Silver Member
...please!!

I feel with the issues in our group, 12 weeks down the line, I've not actually benefitted as much as I could have done from our group sessions. :( I'm a little worried that I've not got enough insight yet, and although I have probably another month to six weeks in Development after Foundation, so there's time yet I suppose, I need to put more work into the psychological side definitely!

I'd therefore be so grateful if you would share the most valuable thing you've learnt, which in turn might help me and others!

Did you have any of those penny dropping moments??

I will have to give this some thought, and better attention then now while trying to get ready for work. Itsw a good question.

I will just say though, I felt very much like you describe Poppy when I started RTM.

I thought - "I don;t think I got ANYthing out of that - is it going to work - am I going to behave the same - did I do it right - did I "get" oit, etc., etc., I was FULL of doubt.

But ya know what - I did GET it. The info DID get in, and it has had a HUGE affect on my behaviour.

I have been extremely stressed out the last 2 weeks over finances, my redundancy, health issues, etc. ANd do you know what? Not ONCE did food enter my mind. Not ONCE did I have to grab something to quell the nerves. It just never came into the picture.

That was an amazing thing to realise I got through 2 weeks without any wobbles, whereas last year - well - we know how it would have gone.

So that has put my fears to rest and assured me, the info DOES get in there and it does make some changes. :)

Will think of some others for later. :)

xx

Most valuable things I've learnt so far?

It is *only* food.

It's not a friend, not a past-time, not a distraction, not a hobby, not a stress-reliever, not a comfort device, and definately not a reason to live. (eat to live don't live to eat!)

My two pieces of advice for long term maintenance are to enjoy being slim and not "keep weight off" and live in fear of putting it back on, and also to make sure that you understand that it was never the food that got you big, it was the emotional benefit you got from the food i.e. comfort / boredom etc etc and therefore dealing with the true reasons you got big will unlock the keys to staying that way and getting off diets for good.

My most valuable tip and thing I have learned is NOT TO LAPSE!! Unfortunately I did, have and do - and it's a nightmare... if I had my time again I definitely wouldn't... my 'willpower of steel' turned into mush with that first taste. Bugger.

x

Never surrender when you feel like throwing in the towel, just grit your teeth and drink the shake because you always feel better about it later or the next day.

Thats how i built my will power

Wow you lot, very inspirational! Every one of you has given me something to think about! I'm in suspense for more gems!

Love the vast and insightful experience people have on here and I think to be truthful that is what has helped me lose the 4 stone, not my real life group!!! I had a moan to the locum LLC last night as there weren't the foodpacks I ordered again, and I also said I'd never had a photo taken and only been measured once at the beginning. I'm debating contacting LL HO, but just want to say thanks to you all for the support you show to each and every person on here!

I've learned so many things and I guess different people will take many different things from LL. I guess some of my main ones are....

If you want it bad enough. You will get it.

If you're gonna lapse, wait 20 mintues.

Only you can do it.

Don't avoid food situations. Power through.

Develop a stubborn streak (both with doubters/critics and temptation)

The 'start on Monday' mentality is a real killer.

Track and record everything. I think starting my spreadsheet and blog have really kept me on the straight and narrow.

Whatever happens. Stick to the plan. It works.

Like Anna, I have lapsed, and lapsed again, and again! It's so hard to stop yourself once you've got into that cycle. But what I realised last night actually, is that it's never too late to start again.

The past is the past, I can't change those times I have lapsed in the past few weeks. But I can learn from them. I can say that I don't get anything from them, it's doesn't make me feel any better and it works against my end goal. So simply put, "don't fricking do it again, Beki"!!!

B x

Ok I've only been on it a week but I've learnt something that I think will be the key to it for me.
The reason I'm overweight is because when I've lost some weight some sort of brain sequence is triggered and I think "Great! Now I can eat whatever I want, and however much, I've lost weight I can afford to!!" So the weight goes back on. Then I stop when I have put some back on as I think "Oh dear, put some weight back on - how did that happen? Oh well better behave!" Uh-uh.
I caught myself doing it last week after last WI I lost 6lb, on the way back home I started thinking "Great, I lost 6lb this week, so that means next week I can cheat just a bit and I should still lose weight!". The penny finally dropped as to why I was a fairly stable 16 stone and not a fairly stable 11 stone.
So I just know that RTM will probably be difficult for me, for the above reason. But I'm grateful that I now know what the problem was, and so can learn to recognise and fix it.

Ok I've only been on it a week but I've learnt something that I think will be the key to it for me.
The reason I'm overweight is because when I've lost some weight some sort of brain sequence is triggered and I think "Great! Now I can eat whatever I want, and however much, I've lost weight I can afford to!!" So the weight goes back on. Then I stop when I have put some back on as I think "Oh dear, put some weight back on - how did that happen? Oh well better behave!" Uh-uh.
I caught myself doing it last week after last WI I lost 6lb, on the way back home I started thinking "Great, I lost 6lb this week, so that means next week I can cheat just a bit and I should still lose weight!". The penny finally dropped as to why I was a fairly stable 16 stone and not a fairly stable 11 stone.
So I just know that RTM will probably be difficult for me, for the above reason. But I'm grateful that I now know what the problem was, and so can learn to recognise and fix it.

I know what you mean. Before if I'd had a good week eating wise I'd celebrate with a chinese on Saturday and start being good again on Monday. If I had a bad week eating wise, I'd have a chinese on saturday and start again on Monday. Talk about a vicious circle. Madness! It's one of the great things about abstinence. It lets you look at these types of things with a clear head.

Hit. Nail. On. Head.

B x

For me the penny dropping realisation was that :
I can't blame anyone else for my situation.

Only I had the power to change it.

I wasn't punisihng anyone other than myself by being over weight.

Bottom (used to be big!) line for me.
Plain sailing since then. It seems simple, but then so am I !!!

:

Back