Share your favourite vegetarian recipes!

This is one of my absolute favs.

1 aubergine (med sized is less than 100 cals so you can go for the whole thing ;))
Tomatoes
Raw Garlic
Cucumber
Red Onion
1 lemon
Feta cheese
Olive Oil
Herbes de Provence
Sea Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper

Cut the aubergine in half, and then in half inch slices. In a mug, mix some olive oil (I limit myself to 1/4 a cup or less), zest of the lemon, Herbes de Provence, a bit of salt and pepper. Coat the aubergine on both sides with the seasoned oil mix. Place aubergine in oven and grill on high heat - alternatively directly on a outdoor grill which is even better. Flip the aubergine over after 10-15 min.

Whilst aubergine is grilling, chop tomatoes, cucumber, and red onions in equal proportions. Add a bit of feta, *press* 1 clove of raw garlic (or more if you like a good kick) into the salad mix. Dress salad in juice of the lemon, preserve a little for final garnish.

Remove aubergine when it is well cooked - slightly blackened is ok. Heap salad next to aubergine and garnish the whole dish with left over lemon juice.

Last edited:
That sounds nice! As a vegan I'd leave out the feta but I have a nice recipe for an alternative. I've got a panini press that is great for grilling veggies so could use that for the aubergines. Courgettes might be a nice alternative - I love courgettes and so miss picking them fresh from the days when I had an allotment.

Thank for sharing the recipe:)

Aubergine and eggplang are the same vegetable, right?

I have one sitting at my fridge and I was thinking about making ratatouille, but now I got curious to experminent this (without the feta cheese) :)

xx

Yes they are one and the same (aubergine and eggplant).. It would be interesting to hear how it all turned out with no feta and a cheese substitute. I find the feta with its' tangy strength really brings the dish out. If you try it, let me know.

a vegan version of feta (probably nothing like the real thing but its salty and nice by Bryanna Clark Grogan:

Bryanna's Quick Tofu Feta

6 oz firm tofu, crumbled
1 tsp agar powder (or 2 tbsp flakes)
2 tbsp water
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tbsp neutral-tasting cooking oil
1 1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tbsp light miso
3 tbsp fresh lemon juice

Blend tofu, agar, water, sugar, oil, and salt in food processor till smooth.
Place mixture in heavy-bottomed small saucepan and stir over medium heat till it bubbles for a few minutes and thickens.

Whisk miso and lemon juice into cooked mixture.
Pour into a flat container, cover, and chill till firm.
Cut into squares.
To store: make a fairly salty brine of salt and water (about 1 tbsp salt per cup of water) boiled together for 5 minutes, cool it, and pour it into a covered container in the refrigerator in this brine.

Thanks for the recipe! I will try it out. : D

This one is so easy it hurts, taken from BBC Good Food.

Spiced Carrot Soup

• 2 tsp cumin seeds
  • large of pinch chilli flakes
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 600g carrots , washed and coarsely grated (no need to peel)
  • 140g split red lentils
  • 1l hot vegetable stock (from a cube is fine)
  • 1 can coconut milk
  • Optional : plain yogurt and naan bread, to serve

1. Heat a large saucepan and dry-fry the cumin seeds and chilli flakes for 1 min, or until they start to jump around the pan and release their aromas. Scoop out about half of the seeds with a spoon and set aside. Add the oil, carrot, lentils, stock and milk to the pan and bring to the boil. Simmer for 15 mins until the lentils have swollen and softened.
  2. Whizz the soup with a stick blender or in a food processor until smooth (or leave it chunky if you prefer). Season to taste and finish with a dollop of yogurt and a sprinkling of the reserved toasted spices. Serve with warmed naan breads.

I ended up making ratatouille but I'm still looking for making the eggplant recipe some day in the near future;)

Micci, thank you for the vegan feta recipe, I never found vegan feta cheese on the health food store so that may do the trick;)

RasberryRed, I'm all for easy recipes so the easier the best:p Thank you for sharing the carrot soup as well!

x

I don't think vegan feta exists commercially - when I discovered this recipe I was having it a couple of times a day until my supply of cheap tofu ran out ... sad sad day

This is really simple - but so so yummy.

This is the warmer version of the classic summer salad.
Stuff vine tomatoes with mozzarella (or vegan equivalent), bake on high for 30 min or until browned. Dash some olive oil & torn fresh basil. Sprinkle with sea salt.. and enjoy with crusty bread.

This is really simple - but so so yummy.

This is the warmer version of the classic summer salad.
Stuff vine tomatoes with mozzarella (or vegan equivalent), bake on high for 30 min or until browned. Dash some olive oil & torn fresh basil. Sprinkle with sea salt.. and enjoy with crusty bread.

This makes me think about lovely tomato and basil bruschettas:)

Thank you for sharing!

Green Thickies

I just adore this strawberry and pineapple smoothie recipe. Although it's a green smoothie, you can't taste the greens at all. It's lovely and sweet and fresh tasting and it's very filling as got oats and seeds in it. It also breaks down the calories too. It is a Strawberry and Pineapple Green Thickie.

Back