Sharm El Sheikh - Anybody been?

Brad0053

Silver Member
We are deciding about the October half term and drawing up a shortlist of places to go. The only place we are considering, where we have not been before is Sharm El Sheikh.

If any of the good people of Minimins has been, I'd be grateful for your warts and all assessment.

Just so you know, we are a family which includes two mini Brads, one is 7 and the other will be 3.

Thanks

I've not been to Sharm, but we did go to Hurghada a few years ago. We went in March and the weather was amazing over 30 degrees every day. The Hotel we stayed in was AI and the majority of people there were German. The entertainment in the hotel was quite good, however the day time activities like aerobics, volleyball etc etc were very in your face, we would be lying quite peacefully by the pool and suddenly the music was blaring and reps running round shouting about the next activity. We visited valley of the kings and Carnac Temple which were both amazing, as we were only there for a week we didn't do the pyramids trip. The snorkelling is very good, lots to see.

:D Hello..
Well just thought i would tell you the little i know about Sharm,

Ive been to Sharm twice now, First time i stayed at Hauza Beach resort bought from(click on the blue writing) Cheap holidays, all inclusive holidays, last minute cheap holiday deals, bargain holiday this is a huge resort, and located about 15 mins from the airport, it is fantastic for the kids as it has its own water slide pool, also there is a large "normal" pool where there are not as many kids, its an all inclusive hotel and beleive me you can eat all day if you want. they run a mini bus for a small fee of about £1 per person each way to Namma Bay, this is an eye opener, it looks fantastic on an evening as every bar is full of fairy lights, you will get hassle down there as they only work 6 months of the year so are out to make as much money in that time as possible, but there is some fantastic bargains to be had..
Also down there is McDonalds, Pizza Hut and a definate must have hard Rock Cafe, its a fab night out in Hard Rock and soooo cheap, (Meal for 4 inc starters & drinks £30)
there are plenty of shops to look at.
I have not gone on the sight seeing trips as i like to sunbathe and read while on holiday..
The second time i went was march this year and we stopped in Coral sea resort(click on the blue writing) Eclipse Direct - Book online and save on Eclipse Direct holidays. this is a first choice hotel and it FANTASTIC.. so much so we are going back in Oct this year,
this hotel is all English and has 2 pools one is heated, also a kids club, and there is loads of things for the kids to do, its on the beach and sun beds are free on the beach too, this hotel provides free beach towels fresh every day so no need to pack them.. (more duty free :rolleyes:)
This is very close to the airport too and the transfer is about 20 mins away, the food here is really good. loads of salads, fresh fruit, also has a diet corner :eek: ..!!
there is a kids food corner too so they can help themselves.
This is also an all inclusive hotel,
personally i would recommend the coral sea resort as it has something for everyone..

Hope this helps, if you want to ask me anything else just PM me..
:character00255: Happy Holidays

Last edited:
Hi. We went to Sharm for our honeymoon in December and stayed at the conrad hilton all inclusive.

The hotel was lovely, food reasonably good (as AI goes), beach gorgeous and sea really warm.

HOWEVER, Sharm itself is basically a resort of hotels, and very little else. Nearest "town" is Na'ama bay which is quite Blackpool like. If you go there you are hounded every step you take by shop owners, taxi drivers, anyone generally wanting money off you. Taxi's are death traps so make sure you stay in a hotel with a shuttle bus if you are wanting to go shopping. Eating out is ok but there is very little choice really as most of the hotels are AI.

Would I go again? Yes, but a week would be enough and it would be a chilling week around the pool or on the beach. In my opinion there is not enough to do for 2 weeks as there really isn't anywhere to go unless you do the expensive reps tours. And again you are harassed everywhere you go. They do have tourist police which means they can't touch you but they will step in-front of you and can seem quite aggressive. I wouldn't go in a party of women only either.

Hope this helps!

Thank you people sincerely for your comments.

I have heard about the street hassle factor, but also felt if I was only going for a week, we probably wouldnt venture out too far anyway. My smallest lad will only be 3.

I am certainly switched to the idea. Now to convince Mrs Brad ;)

We had a great time - went to Coral sea resort - and very child friendly. Enough to do on site not to need to venture too far from hotel and therefore avoid being hassled. Buy some of the cheap beach shoes when you get there to protect kids feet from corals - they are like plimsols that tie up round your feet and you swim in them.

Back