Shhhhh, how much can you cheat

vixhicks

What can affect your weight loss?

A piece of pasta? Some beans on toast? A slice of toast? 1 crisp as you open a packet for the kids?

Not that I PLAN to cheat, but I was just wondering what, in your experience, you can get away with. I was literally just curious as to how paranoid you have to be.....

Thank goodness smelling things can't affect your weight loss - for some reason it is helping me to smell the family's food before they eat it - you would have thought it would make me worse, but makes me feel better.

I too find smelling the kids food is enough. Isn't it strange?! I'm not sure of the answer to your question though, sorry!
In my experience, it isn't the little 'cheat' that slows down your weight loss - it's letting the little cheat turn into a 3 day binge. So, I think it's a case of knowing when to stop and when to get back on track. Personally I don't trust myself enough to have a little cheat, but that's because I know my own limitations and I know I'd never get back on track. Some people are good at getting back on track XX

in my experience anything carbs wise will impact your loss, and in big amounts can make you gain weight. This is a fantastic diet, but you should work up the plans in a structured way to refill your glyocen stores which have been emptied. This definitely is not a diet to think about cheating on in my opinion, as you may have to go through 2-3 days of discomfort to get back in ketosis, unlike weightwatchers or other calorie controlled plan.

Hope this helps,

Read KD's post on directness of journey...

I understand that sum peeps are quite happy to take a little longer to get to where they're going... I on the other hand wish to take the most direct, quickest route - that for me means following plan, like glue!

I guess it just depends which route your taking and its all a personal choice and no 2 peeps are identical xx xx

my advice is not to cheat, At the start of the diet I stuck to it strictly and had good weight losses. but then I slipped, after having a weeks sort of break for a holiday, and since I've had little cheats, nothing major just little tastes like you suggested, a crisp here,1 piece of pasta etc, and my weight losses have slowed right down, also once you start to cheat its very hard to stop,

it's more about what that crisp or piece of pasta does to your head. it makes you feel bad because you've 'cheated'. it makes it all the more difficult to stick to the plan. it makes it easier to cheat again. and it does slow down your weight loss...

if it happens, it happens and it's to be accepted. but it really isn't worth pre-empting!!

abz xx

Hey...
I would say.. dont think about the cheats. and how much they will do to you . otherwise if you think a small crisp wont hurt. you may just then have a small crisp every day. which will suddenly mount up and get into bad habbits.

It can be hard with the kids sometimes especially when there having crisps and chocs, sweets etc all my favourties..

If ever I say . to my 3 year old can I have a crisp . (just jokinly) he says NO MUMMY your on a diet.. and i say why? and he says cause you want to be skinny like me.. Love him!!

Just stay clear and the weight will fall of you!!
x

I understand that sum peeps are quite happy to take a little longer to get to where they're going... I on the other hand wish to take the most direct, quickest route - that for me means following plan, like glue!

Hey watermelon Im so with you .. I want to take the quickest direction there.. cant bear anything to get in my way!!!
You go girl x

I guess it just depends which route your taking and its all a personal choice and no 2 peeps are identical xx xx

xxx

Aaah Curly, kids are so funny!
My girls are at funny ages right now so I haven't really focussed on the weight thing, more the being healthy thing. So, my 11 year old thinks it's very amusing to keep offering me things :sigh: Kids, gotta love them!!! x

Don't cheat. If you cheat, then you go one of a few routes.

You think "Fu** it, I've had that I'll have something else" and either ruin a day or a week or however long it takes you to get back on track

You escape any big consequences, so rationalise it as "okay" to have that boiled egg/ wee nibble and before you know it you have nibbled on a lot to the detriment of your weight loss.

so its only "one wee crisp" and then "one spoonful of beans off the kids plates" and then "a wee crust of toast" and "the wee splash of milk in your coffee". They all add up.

You might end up taking longer on your weight loss journey. Which is fine if that's what you want to do, but then don't be surprised if there's a post a few days later scared because of stalling, or sub-optimal losses or gains. Not getting at you per se, but you know what I mean.

If there is one thing that I would tell anyone and everyone doing this diet its stick to the rules, if its not allowed don't eat it. Stop scale hopping, don't panic and let your body do its thing. You can't push it to go any faster.

Sorry - bit tangental there.

I was thinking that. It fits perfectly doesn't it :)

http://www.minimins.com/cambridge-diet-forum/66741-whos-better-person.html

Look, you can't cheat with food. It's impossible. The word 'cheat' means that you would be doing something immoral, and there's nothing immoral about food and eating.

You have dozens of choices each day. Whether you are going to shower, clean you teeth, be nice to the next person you talk to, go for a walk, watch the TV, go to work. You may not like all your choices, but they are yours to make and whatever choice you do make will have an effect of some kind.

I hope that if you are faced with this choice, you chose one that you wont regret tomorrow.

I loved that post on directness of journey. I read it yesterday and it really put things into perspective for me because I did get to the point last time where I had the odd thing.

Like you say Lexie you will go one of a few routes and I eventually just carried on cheating, so for me this time it isn't for me.

I want to stick to it rigidly. If I do find that I ever struggle then I'll talk to my CDC and consider doing AAM for a day/week.

Look, you can't cheat with food. It's impossible. The word 'cheat' means that you would be doing something immoral, and there's nothing immoral about food and eating.

Good point. I've never thought about the word 'cheat' being one we shouldn't use. You're right, the very word has nasty connotations.

Puts me in mind of something IceMoose posted a while ago about how we shouldn't talk about 'losing' weight either - the very word 'losing' implies that you'll find it again - and I have a feeling none of us want to find those 'lost' pounds. :D http://www.minimins.com/cambridge-diet-forum/26617-so-how-much-weight-have-you-lost.html#post421286

The words we use are more powerful than any of us realise, I suspect.

Last edited:
Another great post....
I never ever think of cheating... I too think of choices...
none of my kids say mummy can't have XYorZ they say.. Mummy is choosing not to eat XYZ right now...
I also read the Icemoose post about loss and that works well with my mindset...
I think that anyone who starts this diet has chosen to start a journey, ultimately we all want to get to the end, and the quickest way is by doing the diet 100% it is possible as many others have done it.
Good luck with your plan and plan not to 'cheat'

xx

Yes - I think you have to say this about 'choices' not 'cheating xx

we all chose cambridge because we want big losses in little time, well i did anyway and its not for long im 30 and whats 3-6 months from that. then onto maintenance when hopefully we will have retrained our mind about food. i chose cambridge and not to eat so why cheat the only person you will upset is you! xx

Ok for the last week or so I've not felt like cheating but since the chocolate break on saturday I've felt it hard again. So, you are right, those in the know, it is hard to get back on the wagon. I've cheated again today by having 5 piquante peppers with my cottage cheese. hmmm, I hope to be better tomorrow. The quicker I lose this weight, the quicker I can get on to maintenance and start living within the realms of a normal diet without putting on the fat!

I promise cheating doesnt work, if you are spending money on the diet you dont wanna mess up, I promise if you are lucky you will stay the same and if unlucky you'll of gained through retaining water. If you want to eat i'd just do a higher plan or eat a meal off a higher plan. Foods high in sodium, sugar, fat etc just absolutely murder the diet :)

Back