shirataki noodles anyone?

curvygirlie

I've hit a brick wall with my food, getting weary, and at times am feeling ready to throw the towel in with Dukan. Now getting desperate to try something new to try and replace the carbs i'm missing so much.
Decided am going to order some shirataki noodles, but, because of the hefty postage costs I feel forced to buy no less than ten packs or so.

So, before i do so, can anyone advise....:

• how are they meant to be stored- cupboard or fridge?
    • are there any shop bought sauces that anyone uses with the noodles?
    • how do you use them? in a soup, stirfry etc?
    • does anyone have any recipes for them ?

thanks in anticipation x

I think they are a bit of an acquired taste , some people love them and others like me hate them. They can be added to soups or stir fry and I suppose they could be used to replace spaghetti but I much prefer courgette spaghetti. Maybe order 1 packet to try just in case you don't like them, I know postage is steep but better to pay just for 1 packet than waste your money on 10 packets and be stuck with them

I bought ten from the Lowcarb megastore site but I bought some other things as well and the postage wasn't too bad.

I am in the love them camp. But I was really missing noodles with my spaghetti bolognese and this is generally how I have them so not that often but when I do it feels like a real treat.

My only complaint is they don't seem to absorb liquid like the real thing. I had them with chicken cooked in a sweetened and spiced tomato sauce on top last night and it was lovely.

I store them in the fridge and they have a very long expiration date. The ones I bought on line about a month ago have a June 2012 expiry date on them. The pack they come in looks quite small full of liquid but it makes a lot of noodles for one meal in my opinion.

well i've bought 10 packs from the lowcarb megastore along with some sugar free, low carb teriyaki sauce, should be here by the end of the week. I really need the change - now a bit fed up of using courgette as a replacement 4 spaghetti so really looking forward to trying these - (i also use courgette as lasagne sheets so feel like i'm all courgetted out!)

I fancy a healthy chow mein.. with lots of crunchy veg thrown in.... ((((drool))))

Well, the noodles arrived this morning and I have to say that they don't look v appetising - I think I'll be eating them in a dimly-lit room!

@ slimdreamer: do u use the whole bag for one person? Doesn't look like there's enough in one bag for 2 meals?

Gonna make a chow mein type dish 2nite with them.

Spring onions
Mushrooms
Carrot ribbons
Bean sprouts
Chicken breast
Half tsp of sesame oil
Shirataki noodles
Half sachet (60g) Blue Dragon chow mein sauce (49 cals, 6.3g sugar, 1g fat, 0.5g salt)

Now I know I need to rinse the noodles really well under running water but should I be throwing them into the wok at the very last minute?

Hi just checking that these are ok on PP or PV right? Thinking of ordering some but they seem a bit expensive.....

Anyone cooked them, left them in the fridge overnight and reheated them in the microwave? Just wondering if they would be good for dinners as Im hiding the diet from my collegues at work.

Yes they're ok on both. Good question about reheating, never thought of that:)

I just heat them up in the microwave for a few minutes before eating them, they don't need to be cooked. I have never tried them in a stir fry but if I did I'm sure there would be no leftovers :eek: so not sure how they would do with reheating but I feel they would be fine.

Curvygirlie, I have to date used the whole bag for one meal but your appetite may not be as big as mine.:eek:

Will be interesting to hear what you think. I will try them with a stir fry soon, sounds really nice but still not as nice as my beloved meaty bolognese though.:)

Trust me, slim dreamer, I will eat the whole bag - no problem! Lol! X

well, flippin' eck - I wasn't expecting that.

Gave noodles a really good rinse under running water - they look a bit odd - white, almost transluscent noodles. Left them in a sieve to remove water (noodles are too thin for a colander- will just slip thru holes)

They really do hold water! I went thru 5 sheets of 'plenty' kitchen roll to squeeze water out!!

I stirfried my veg and chicken and added noodles to heat them thru and finally added sauce......

and it were lovely!!

I am stuffed! and feel like i've eaten a proper chinese. So i'll be probably hungry again in an hour (chinese food does that with me...)

The only thing i wish i'd done was cut the noodles before adding them in the wok as they're really long!

Can't believe the whole bag of noodles are only TEN calories, no fat and no carbs!! unbelievable

next time i think I'll make a frittata with it - fry an onion with garlic, throw in the noodles and to heat thru then a couple of beaten eggs with my cheese allowance (on conso) and leave it to set....

Happy to hear you liked them Curvygirlie.

I agree about the colander, I started using a sieve instead. I also find once I put them in the microwave they are a little dryer and use slightly less kitchen roll.:rolleyes: Shame that they are so wet. But like you say at 0 calories and carbs we can't have everything I guess!

I will definitely be trying a stir fry, it sounds very nice.

i can see these being a lifesaver.. :happy036:

Pre dukan, if i was peckish i would cook a packet of Heinz weightwatchers noodles (like batchelors supernoodles) which although they were low in fat, they were still 258cals a pop.

Now I can microwave a packet of shirataki noodles and throw a homemade sweet chilli sauce over it (aspartame, white wine vinegar and chilli powder) and some shredded chicken breast for next to nada caloriewise...:)

Last edited:
Hi Slimdreamer,

Just wondering how you microwaved the noodles? Did you add water to a container with them in or just micro'd once rinsed?

Hi, I rinse them very well in a plastic strainer and try to drain and dry a little before putting them in the microwave.

Then I put the stainer on top of a bowl and just heat them up for a few minutes. When I remove them there is some of the water in the bowl and then I also try to dry them again.

I have only done this a few times because in the past I just placed them on a plate and microwave for a few minutes which also worked. They are just a little wetter this way.

today = another shirataki noodle success...

i made the frittata that I mentioned yesterday, couldn't tell the difference from the usual vermicelli pasta that i normally use in it. Delish!

Think i'd better order some more noodles...pronto! :)

sorry mands - didn't see your post.

Low carb megastore :)

curvygirlie said:
i can see these being a lifesaver.. :happy036:

Pre dukan, if i was peckish i would cook a packet of Heinz weightwatchers noodles (like batchelors supernoodles) which although they were low in fat, they were still 258cals a pop.

Now I can microwave a packet of shirataki noodles and throw a homemade sweet chilli sauce over it (aspartame, white wine vinegar and chilli powder) and some shredded chicken breast for next to nada caloriewise...:)

They were a TOTAL lifesaver for me 1st time around... Won't even say how many bags I went thru & I've got 30 more coming!!! They're ace too during Conso/Stab as they make it feel like "regular" meal!!

Back