Shop bought seafood

moti17

is gonna do it!!
Is it ok to have the seafood mix from the chilled section of supermarket? It has prawns etc in?

That's what I was hoping but on the ingredients list it says added sugar etc, stabilisers etc.

And this is just one of the reasons we all started to get fatter 20-30 years ago.

Our grans used to go to a fishmongers (in our town, only in the friday market) to buy fish and cooked it at home.

Then supermarkets realised they could make more selling pre-mixed food instead of plain ingredients, because we would pay extra for the convenience.

And to justify the "mixing" they added cheap fillers - like sugar and starch and salt.

The same thing has happened in just a few years with veg.

Supermarkets used to sell bags of carrots.

Then they realised we would pay extra for bags of ready peeled and chopped carrots.

Then they realised that we would pay even more for ready-to-cook trays of fresh peeled chopped carrots in a honey, lemon and butter glaze.

Which is lovely, and quick and convenient - but then we all get a little fatter every day, and even if we wanted to turn the clock back, the fishmongers and the greengrocers and the butchers and the dairy have gone from our streets and markets.

I love reading your posts Atropos :D

Fortunately, where I live, there are still fishmongers, butcher's, baker's, candlestick makers etc etc., and a market almost every day... but in the UK alas those days are long gone. Such a shame!

I love reading your posts Atropos :D

Fortunately, where I live, there are still fishmongers, butcher's, baker's, candlestick makers etc etc., and a market almost every day... but in the UK alas those days are long gone. Such a shame!

To be fair, in our village in Northumberland we have a butcher, a grocer, two greengrocers, and the fish van comes on Tuesdays. My sister got 3 lobster for a £10 last week.

Unfortunately - I'm stuck in London most of the time!

And this is just one of the reasons we all started to get fatter 20-30 years ago.

Our grans used to go to a fishmongers (in our town, only in the friday market) to buy fish and cooked it at home.

Then supermarkets realised they could make more selling pre-mixed food instead of plain ingredients, because we would pay extra for the convenience.

And to justify the "mixing" they added cheap fillers - like sugar and starch and salt.

The same thing has happened in just a few years with veg.

Supermarkets used to sell bags of carrots.

Then they realised we would pay extra for bags of ready peeled and chopped carrots.

Then they realised that we would pay even more for ready-to-cook trays of fresh peeled chopped carrots in a honey, lemon and butter glaze.

Which is lovely, and quick and convenient - but then we all get a little fatter every day, and even if we wanted to turn the clock back, the fishmongers and the greengrocers and the butchers and the dairy have gone from our streets and markets.

Ugh how annoying. Maybe I will have better luck in the frozen section, maybe they wont have the added crap in it. Lets hope so.

Oh dear I have a bag of this in the freezer that I was hoping to have tomorrow..... off to read the label.

Atropos - we loved Northumberland - we stayed in Seahouses for a week in May - the beaches were fab!

Back