shopping on a budget

I have found sw more expensive for me but now i right a list and just buy what i need for the week, also i go to butchers now instead of asda meats. Also when i see items i use on offer i stock up. loving the plan tho.

I have found sw more expensive for me but now i right a list and just buy what i need for the week, also i go to butchers now instead of asda meats. Also when i see items i use on offer i stock up. loving the plan tho.

I think writing a list and sticking to it is one of the things that helps me more than any other. These days I use the Tesco home delivery service, because since I developed epilepsy I can't drive any more, and I think that saves me money as well. It costs £5 for delivery, but I think I save more than that in not having the "Oooh, shiny!" factor - you know, not seeing things you fancy and picking them up and sticking them in the trolley when you really shouldn't!

i meant to put that Asda HAS Quron mince and chicken style pieces on offer for £1 at the moment!

i know the Asda stuff ain't free!
Ah I see! Well that is really good, I didn't notice that yesterday. I will have to go in tomorrow and stock up cus that stuff is expensive!

I have also found it more expensive for us, but I find it less so when I plan my weeks meals in advance.
Green is defo cheaper then red, but my OH can't go a day without meat, as he insists he feels poorly without it!
I am finding that keeping my eye on the bargains thread is helping too. :)

I always shop on a budget, I usually try and check supermarkets special offers and plan my meals around them. Plus when I'm cooking I usually make more and them freeze it into portions, esp quorn chilli or vegetable pasta etc

Your shopping bill may have gone up but think of all the savings on junk like takeaways etc. SW food is much cheaper than my previous 'diet'

It's much harder to shop on a tight budget on red than on green, definitely. Have you tried your local market for meat? My local one has a butchers which does offers like 5 packs of meat for £10 - and each pack is something like 3 big chicken breast fillets or 4 pork steaks or something like that. It's worth seeing if you have something similar :)

I do have butchers that do deals such as that, not the leanest of meat though. I'll have to look for a local farmers market or something. Thanks for the advice.

i have been using my butcher for 3 years since my oh saw a program on meat in supermarkets and i get really good deals. i spend about 40 in the supermarket a week on fresh stuff and any store cubord stuff i run out off. and about 10-15 on butcher. which will include something like a large turkey breast which will do him lunch for a week and three or four dinners for us. i always do a menu plan too

i went to farm foods got 6 chix breasts for 3.95
6 mullers 2.50
frozen sliced chix 2.00
quorn leek sausages 1.00
400g turkey ham 1.75
5 pork steaks 1.99
frozen leeks and swede 1.00 a bag
john west micro egg fried rice 69pfridge raiders 79p
24 cans diet coke 5.75

bargain

Sorry to hijack this thread but a couple of people have said they freeze portions of things but can I ask if Quorn mince is frozen and you make spag bol, can you re-freeze after?

Meat is quite reasonably priced in Iceland, i bought 6 frozen chicken breasts for £3 today.

not sampled any yet though so cant yet comment on the quaility:)

Meat is quite reasonably priced in Iceland, i bought 6 frozen chicken breasts for £3 today.

not sampled any yet though so cant yet comment on the quaility:)

i always look on the back to see the % of chicken as most cheaper things are full of water :rolleyes: and sometimes chicken substitute (now to me REAL chicken shouldnt need a chicken substitute lol!!)

hope this helps x

Ah yes, this seems to be the case with a lot of frozen meat. The icelend ccicken breast strips are ok though.

Did buy some low fat mince in Tesco a few weeks ago (think it was good for you or something) & it went all mushy when I cooked it...must have been full of water!!
Also, even thought I drained it it sill tasted really fatty, even in a chilli...couldn't eat it!!!

On a budget it is sometimes worth having 1 Syn to save money.

Totally agree about the green grocers. We have a great one locally and it's so much cheaper and much better quality

Hi Taz, which greengrocer do you use? I go to the fruit market on a Sunday morning.

Also the previous message about the Asda mince, think it's inly a few syns & I would much rather spend a few syns on this, as it is much better value, tastes better & has a much better texture than quorn...don't know what happened, it always used to be free!!

Hi Taz, which greengrocer do you use? I go to the fruit market on a Sunday morning.

Also the previous message about the Asda mince, think it's inly a few syns & I would much rather spend a few syns on this, as it is much better value, tastes better & has a much better texture than quorn...don't know what happened, it always used to be free!!
I go to Turners in Kings Chase, they are great value and quality. I haven't been to the fruit market for ages but I remember it being excellent value!

I got the Asda meat free meat balls and they are 2 Syns for the bag. I only use half a bag and the bag is bigger than the Quorn ones anyway!

Back