Should I go on Atkins on a temporary basis?

Wasted Ink

Hi,

Now this post may make Atkin's dieters and dieters in general want to throw tomatoes at me, :p but here goes:

I have been on calorie counting since May last year and have so far lost 2 stone 5lb (I think I could have lost more, but slacked on the exercise towards the end of the year due to illness.) Anyway, I've got another 8lb to go before I get into the 14s (which will probably take until at least March anyway.) Then I was thinking of switching to atkins on a temporary basis to lose around another 10-15 lbs and give me a little 'booster.' I have done Atkins in the past and it's the only diet where I seem to be able to lose more than 1-2 lb a week (struggling to lose even 1lb at the moment despite calorie counting correctly!)

Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy to lose 1lb a week if I were already a little lower. But being in the 15s and losing 1lb most weeks is torture.

Basically, I want to know whether it is advisable or not to go on Atkins on a very short-term basis (2-4 weeks) to shift about 10-15 lb reasonably quickly. I have had heart-related health concerns in the past (not related to weight) and I don't want to make this potentially worse by doing a 'quick fix' Atkins. I was thinking that if I keep my eggs, cheese and bacon down and mainly eat red meats,
poultry, nuts, olive oil and the veggies which are allowed, then I will eliminate the risk factor of higher cholestrol (in some cases I know Atkins lowers bad cholestrol, but there have been cases where it's been heightened.)

I do realise that the majority of those that go on Atkins end up being healthy and there are no problems whatsoever. But there are one or two scare stories out there and I don't want to do it if it is risky for me to do so.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Yup. I know most people that do it are doing it on a long-term basis. And I know it's not really a quick fix diet either... which is why it may not be a good idea for me to go back on it. Last time I did it, I did lose around 10lb in three weeks, in the induction, which is why I wondered whether it could be used as a booster.

Yes, I think your probably right.

No, I hadn't been on a diet or "healthy eating" plan when I first went on Atkins. But yes, I could always lose 3lb a week on the diet without fail even once I'd been on it several months.

I don't think Atkins is a realistic, long-term diet for me. Some people are fine with it, but even after induction I found it too limiting and thus ended up putting the weight back on.

The only plans which seem to keep off most of the weight long term for me are calorie counting and Slimming World. I may switch to Slimming World once I'm into the 14s, as it's less limiting than calorie counting and I can get the same results, if not better.

Thanks for your advice.

The problem is that, if you were eating a fair amount of carboydrate-rich foods during your non-Atkins periods, you would regain most of your Atkins losses. Atkins and non Atkins diet plans do not mix.

If you were low-carbing, perhaps even low GI-ing during the non-Atkins periods, you might get some kind of decent result.

Low-carbing is a specific way to eat for loss, maintenance and above all, health. It is a commitment to a new and very different lifestyle.

Good luck in whatever you decide to try!

Well I would agree. Atkins is a lifestyle change and not a quick fix. Yes you would lose the 8 lbs or more on a couple of weeks of Atkins, but it would go straight back on after returning to another type of eating plan.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

Back