should I have a bypass

I'm in a position to afford to have this done privately.
My BMI is around 45 and other than aching joints and severe depression I have no other illnesses.
I read and read about bypass and i'm meeting with my surgeon in the next 2 weeks.
My fear is 'dumping' syndrome and what the long term compications could be.
When i'm 70 will this bypass make me ill!!!
All I seem to read is terrible disasters or wonderful sucesses is there anyone out there who has a more realistic story.
Many Thanks:wave_cry:

Hiya
You don't say what your history is - have you ever tried a VLCD? Are you determined on this route, having tried others?

7 stone loss on LL, 5 stone loss on SW, 5 stone loss on WW. Xenical, doddgy pills from doddgy clinic. you name it...all regained...

7 stone loss on LL, 5 stone loss on SW, 5 stone loss on WW. Xenical, doddgy pills from doddgy clinic. you name it...all regained...

Well part of your answer was great - it shows you CAN lose the weight naturally. You just need to concentrate then on maintaining that lower weight.

Only my opinion but when you can do something yourself and gain a great sense of achievement why would you want to go and have a non-essential operation instead? There are risks involved in any surgical procedure and to put your body through those risks unnecessarily doesn't sound very logical to me.

If I knew that I could lose lots of weight because I've done it before more than once then I would concentrate on the actual problem which is why you put it all back on again. Did you just stop the diet and go back to the type of eating that made you put on weight in the first place? You just need some support whilst on the diet to help re-educate you for the maintenance phase of the diet.

If you have the willpower to lose all that weight you probably have the willpower to focus on keeping it off. Maybe you could just spend a bit of money on hypnotherapy to help you when in maintenance rather than wasting a lot on surgery?

BTW terrible disasters and wonderful success from the surgery are the real stories - they can be extreme and that's precisely why this kind of surgery should be the exception and not the norm.

Last edited:
I'm in a position to afford to have this done privately.
My BMI is around 45 and other than aching joints and severe depression I have no other illnesses.
I read and read about bypass and i'm meeting with my surgeon in the next 2 weeks.
My fear is 'dumping' syndrome and what the long term compications could be.
When i'm 70 will this bypass make me ill!!!
All I seem to read is terrible disasters or wonderful sucesses is there anyone out there who has a more realistic story.
Many Thanks:wave_cry:

Hey!

I cannot say which is the correct approach to weight loss for you and I have NEVER had the bypass. I do know people who have had the lapband and they have achieved fantastic results.

The only advice I could really give is listen to yourself and try to attend a support group for people who have the bypass. They could be a wonderful support network. I went to a friend's lapband support group for moral support ....... he was thinking about having the lapband and he just wanted to chat to people who have had it done. There are FREE lapband support groups here. Are there any where you live? Would this help you to make an informed decision?

Things can always go wrong and things may not go wrong...... I guess just research and listen to you!

I know ......I am of no help but please know you have my support whatever you chose.

BIG HUGS!!!:)

Hi
Good advice from Sweetpea I think.... there is always a risk of regain however you lose the weight (as most of us know to our cost!) and dealing with the root causes why we overeat must be the only way to maintain in the long term?
(Shouts) KD WHERE ARE YOU WHEN WE NEED YOU? lol

smileyface, before starting on LL, my BMI was nearly 48, i am now i think 33, i know who have tried, but you can do it again, i used to be nearly 22stones a few years ago and used to think it was impossible, but nothing gives me greater satisfaction then LL. We are all here to help you, you're not alone and you have come to the right place for advice.

SmileyFace

The key, is SMILING and teaching yourself to be happy.

I know - sounds weird.

I suffered badly from depression and wouldn't admit it to anyone nor myself. I kept myself constantly busy. I became completely and utterly addicted to coffee. (I'd drink it espresso strenght mug after mug for the buzz.) It gave me the highs I needed to combat the desperate lows. I know how low those lows can be. I had two years of being so low I was permanently on the verge of suicidal.

On coming off the coffee - I turned to sugary things to get the high and hency why - like yourself - I'm here to lose weight.

However, my root was the depression. I refused medication. I learnt to smile and the world smiles back. I taught myself that no matter how bad things are - there are always many many things to be thankful for and I started to become happier.

I know I'll never be that low again. I know I can cope with the depression now. I can tell the warning signs and I deal with them accordingly. When I feel a low coming, I get out there and walk. Fluro jacket and ipod on in all weather. I'll sing my head off and march off on a good long walk. The highs from the excerise help a lot.... and thinking of all the things you need to be happy and grateful for - no matter how small.

At BMI 45 - you won't be past redemption. People have done this far beyond there. Be thankful - you know your weight needs addressed and you are still in good health..

I cant comment on the lapband or surgery. I know nothing of it. I worry for you that if it means you CAN'T eat much - that it gives you less strength to fight the depression.... unless you find another way of tackling that.

As for me.... I'd have been BMI of over 45 a year ago. I managed to lose 3 stone through change of diet and did very well. I was noticing steady improvements. I * THOUGHT * I was at a point where I was coping and wasn't going to go off the rails... but I was wrong. The bottom dropped out my world. We had several family deaths and greif and a depression surge took me off track. I put on 2/3 of what I lost.

Well.... this time I'm back. This time I'm stonger. I've learnt from last time - and this time I won't fail.

I've been back on a healthy eating diet and watching what I eat now for about 8 weeks I think. My ticker is only from 6th January. I've lost a stone since then. I've TOTALLY changed my eating habits. For me - this is not a diet. It's a change of life - forever.

I'm not going to hide behind my fat. I'm not going to make excuses. I want back what I used to be. 2008 is my year. See - all positives - no negatives. It's my anti depression mechanism !

Whatever you decide, I hope you find the strength. If I can offer a shoulder, please ask.
I truly believe that I will have a life long battle in front of me. AS long as depression stays behind me - there is a way forward. I want the weight issues behind me now too. Each 1lb I lose is another milestone passed.

Surgery isn't for me. I'm too chicken ! But I can fully understand and support it if you choose that option.

Good luck .....

Thankyou for all your words of support and encouragement.
I believe have a reached a point were I am completely drained of energy, the repeated failures and stones and stones I have lost and gained just left me so exhausted I do not believe I can do it again. I have personnal counselling, I just feel so tired of listening to my patheticness

No, Smileyface don't say that! Many many of us have lost and gained more, lost and gained more..... you are NOT pathetic! You are human.
You sound as though you need some kindness -from others and from yourself. Please please stop beating yourself up.
Why not go to your GP and tell her how you feel? Counselling sounds like a good idea so I'm glad you're getting that. And keep coming on here - read some of the diaries - there are people who will understand and empathise with you. And a lot who used to be over BMI 45....
Just a thought -maybe you need a rest from dieting and should just concentrate on trying to eat healthier for a while, while you get your mind and emotions sorted out?
Good luck to you dearie

its only a question you can answer yourself.
What makes you believe that maintaining will be any easier if you have a bypass?
I saw someone on the tv who had it done and it didnt keep the weight off her.

Unfortunately there isnt anything that will guarantee the weight will stay off, but when youve lost weight before something was keeping you going with it - but then you came to a point where maybe you got no highs from staying the same ??- Motivation drops, it's finding a reason to keep the weight off that is as exciting as losing - as flower keeps saying maintaining is just as hard but without the glamour.
We all need to thinking about what our highs will be when we've lost the weight and we dont get congratulations for losing anymore.

A break from dieting sounds like a really good idea. I am due to see my GP next week so I will have a chat there. I think people always expect me to be doing somethig to lose weight...as I always am...so I feel under pressure to try to lose weight all the time

Hi

What did you decide in the end?

Nic xx

Yes, I'd love to know too!

Back