Should I have a go?

Russiandoll

Carpe diem
As some of you may already know, my lovely nephew James died last Tuesday aged only 20. This week has been a blur - his funeral will be on Tues 26th which will be a difficult time for the whole family.

I want to do something in his memory and came up with this idea ....

I've been messing about on my diet for months for one reason or another and have regained 3st (very depressing). I thought if I approached some local companies and even individuals and asked them to sponsor me to lose weight (X amount per pound) then it might keep me on the straight and narrow.

Then, whatever I raise could be donated to James' favourite cause on November 10th - which would have been his 21st birthday.

I know he supported 'The Ark' which is a local organisation that supports and puts a roof over the heads of homeless, troubled teenagers. They helped James when times were tough for him.

It's a nerve wracking prospect to 'put myself out there' and commit myself to losing the weight and not fall off the wagon as I've fallen off spectacularly so many times in the past. But I feel I want to do something practical in memory of a young man who had experienced troubled times himself and was doing an amazing job of turning his life around.

What do you reckon?

Here's a pic of my nephew so you know who I'm talking about.

James2.JPG

Bless you, Debbie - I think that sounds like a fantastic idea!!

I will be thinking of you on the 26th, darling!

xxxxxxx

Hiya Debbie, If you think you can do it then you can, you will get all the support on here that you need x

I think it is a fab idea and maybe just the thing for you. The only thing that worries me is that I think you are in a very fragile state at the moment, as anyone would be and I don't like the idea of you pressurising yourself in any way. Only because I care about you, not because I think you couldn't do it; I KNOW you could.

Think it through carefully, bear in mind how much you have to deal with at present; you are a supporter for so many people and whilst we will all support you on here, it is not like we are there to hold your hand and help you when you need it.

With much love

That's a fair point Barb ... I've certainly had an extraordinary amount to deal with lately and I realise that my emotional state might induce me to want to do this for James because there's little else I can do for him now.

I think I'd like to give it a go although I'm aware I might be placing myself under a lot of pressure.

I've never done a sponsored 'anything' before - does anyone have any suggestions on how best to go about it?

Any comments much appreciated

I think that is a lovely idea RD and I'm sure your nephew would think so too....

Why not set yourself a date to start in a week/two weeks whenever you feel you may be feeling stronger maybe start on the 10th July so it 4 months exactly to when it's James 21st... this gives you a start and finish point and just see how much you are able to loose in that time...(just a thought)

Also instead of approaching businesses because I feel personally that may add too much pressure why not see if you can set up an online donation page - like the 'just giving' sites.... haven't a clue how this is done - I'm sure someone with more technical knowhow will help you.... that way than all your lovely friends on here could donate too....

Will be thinking of you next week and wishing you and all your family well...

Love

I think it's a lovely idea RD, just give yourself chance to feel a bit better first. I also think you could open it up to anyone else on here who fancies a sponsored slimathon? I have thought about doing this in the past but have never got around to organising it!

I like the 'just giving' idea Mich. I've heard of it but not sure how to set it up ... some research coming up methinks! :)

Hi Debbie:D

I have to say reading your post I shed a few tears......how incredibly strong a lady are you....whilst going through such a horrible time losing your gorgeous nephew(such a tragedy) you think up something so positive. I really do take my hat off to you.....what a beautiful way to do something in James's memory....you totally rock and realy are an inspiration.

I wish you all the luck in the world(not that you'll need it....with an inspiration like that)

All my love

Thanks Zoe - your kind comments are much appreciated. I've found the website of 'Just giving' and will start working on putting something together very soon. I'll keep you all posted on how things go.

Thanks Zoe - your kind comments are much appreciated. I've found the website of 'Just giving' and will start working on putting something together very soon. I'll keep you all posted on how things go.

Can't wait I'll gladly donate;)

James would be very proud of you:)

I like the 'just giving' idea Mich. I've heard of it but not sure how to set it up ... some research coming up methinks! :)

Glad to be of help.... sure you'll get a page sorted no problem.... and don't forget to put the link in your signature so people on here can donate.....:)

Brill idea hun... and lots of great suggestions from the guys and girls here....

I will defo be sponsoring you!!!

I have told everybody I have come in contact with over the past few days about your fab nephew and the way he died... hopefully the message will get out there how dangerous this stuff is

lots of love hun xxxx

Hey hun your best bet would be to contact the charity and tell them what you are planning to do and ask there advice on how to get your plan out into the public eye. My ex was given the resources to sign up with justgiving.com so people could sponsor him officially. I also emailed company`s outlining what he was doing and why and enclosed the link to his justgiving page and he got over £500 from total strangers and businesses locally.

I think once the funeral has been held and you have had a bit of time, this could be just the thing to get you back on track.

Good luck hun.

Great advice Sonya - thanks :)

Debbie

Just an idea, how about contacting your local radio and perhaps setting something up through them at the same time with a link to the justgiving site. That way you will be able to get your message across the airways and possibly talk about your nephew and the charity he supported.

Chin up hunny. xxxx

These are really fab suggestions girls. As soon as I've spoken to James' dad and found out the details of the charity (it's a small local one I believe), I can set up the website and then I guess I can start throwing out feelers as I'll have a link for people to visit and get more info.

Local radio / press sounds a great idea as it'll put some focus on the aims of the The Ark and get them some much needed publicity. It's early days but the seed is planted :)

Just wanted to lend my support and say what a fabulous and brave thing to do.
I think there are some fantastic suggestions and ideas from members on here and it hopefully shows you just how much support encouragement you'll get from all of us.
Good luck and big hugs, i'm sure the next few days are going to be very hard for you so look after yourself. xx

Back