should i just give up?

laurenxx23

i just cant stick to the plan, i will go over o n my syns, or have a takeaway.
im already planning on not going to wi on wednesday just because i know i will have put weight on.

i want to lose weight, i feel disgusting, i hate myself the way i am

why cant i do it?

Been there lovely! Your head just isn't in the right place that's all. So you need to decide what you want more - to give up and eat cake or to try and change yourself like you planned to. The cake might look tempting right now but how are you going to feel in a week? Go to WI. yes it might be bad but face up to it. You skip one and it'll make never going back way too easy.

I'm no saint, I've been going over everyday and getting angry with myself but I know that I really do want this. Big hugs hun. Why don't you sit down and plan tomorrow's food? Include every smack and every syn and includes loads of superfree and free so you don't get hungry. Then look at the week and see where you've got nights out or problem spots and come back here and tell us what you're going to do or ask for help. We've all been there.

And if you do decide enough is enough then you can. But think how angry you'll feel in a month when you've inevitably gained. I know it's tough but you can do it x

Hey Hun try not too be so hard on yourself sometimes tryiing to lose weight is really hard. I read a quote I think it was on here that really stuck with me
"losing weight is hard, being overweight is hard, which hard do you want to have" if you give up now you'll feel worse when you start again in 6 months! Believe me I've been there, nice profile pic by the way :p x x

Hun Losing weight is not easy so firstly give yourself a break and be kind to yourself. The more you feel negative about yourself the harder I think it is to make positive changes.

What is it that's making you make the bad choices. Are you eating enough free food to be full? Chinese is one of the easiest takeaways to have within plan e.g chowmein, boiled rice. SW is all about planning but it is a plan that can fit in with life. Are you keeping a food diary?

I hope things get better for you x

xx Hugs xx to you first! Like 'goingtobeskinnysoon' said, we have all been there, have you been given the oppourtunity to fill in an S.A.S. log? You just keep track on EVERYTHING you eat, This is totally private to you and you may see a pattern emerge throughout the week, the most importatnt thing is that you will begin to understand why you are sabotaging your weight loss. You have been slimmer of the week and got your half stone award, celebrate that, think how you felt when you got those awards! Your consultant should offer you support , do you stay to group? Its one of the main things that keeps people motivated, listening to other people who are going through exactly the same thing, maybe not at the same time as you but everyone in your SW group understands - else why are we there??!
Keep posting and let us know how its going - good luck! x:p

Hey Hun try not too be so hard on yourself sometimes tryiing to lose weight is really hard. I read a quote I think it was on here that really stuck with me
"losing weight is hard, being overweight is hard, which hard do you want to have"
if you give up now you'll feel worse when you start again in 6 months! Believe me I've been there, nice profile pic by the way :p x x

That's brilliant!

i totally understand where you are as i been in that place the last few weeks. i plan my meals and am totally within plan with all my meals and then it gets to the evening and i completely crave chocolate (even if i used my syns).

sometimes i go completely off the rails and have several bars of choc (one evening i had 2 bars of dairy milk after having one at lunch - so i then pigged out on some smarties)!

I talked to my consultant and have decided to have 20 syns (this means if i have not used any others in the day - its norm in the evening meal anyway like a stir fry sauce/ ketchup etc) then i have 2 bars (they are 10 syns each). I am feeling better this week now. :)

Yes its not strictly on plan but your in control - and an extra 5 syns only equates to 100 cals so wont be enough to ruin your diet, it just might mean u lose a pound less in a month than if u didnt have them extra ones. I can live with that for me.

the other thing i used to do is compare stuff - i would never waste syns on crisps as to me a multipack of quavers/ wotsits etc are about 5 syns (small bag) compared to a kitkat (5 syns)

i wouldnt waste syns on marg so would rather not have bread, you have to compare things - a scraping of marg can be saved and use the syns in the evening for a single measure (25mls) of vodka/ rum/ gin etc with a diet mixer.

So plan your meals - your breakfast, lunch and snacks (make them hearty so u arent hungry) and then have a takeaway.

E.g. today i had -
<B> - Large Bowl of Fruit + mullerlight coconut greek yoghurt (0.5 but so worth it)
2 Hifi light bars (HEA)

<L> - Spag Bol (this was a large portion and probs what others would have for evening meal. It was all free foods though and lots of veg in the bolognaise sauce

<D> stir fry veg, chicken, noodles and stir fry sauce (80 cals per portion so 4 syns)

So I had 2x Snack a Jacks (chocolate and coconut = 6 syns) and a diary milk (10 syns)

But if you did something similar for lunch and breakfast then u have loads for a takeaway and if you are in control u wont feel like giving up. Just decide what your treats are and be good to get them. Just dont go for chocolate, crisps, alcohol and a takeaway lol

Also have a look at some home made takeaways - we rarely get a takeaway these days.
We do the following:

Fish and Chips - I buy from the fresh section of the supermarket the fish in a light breadcrumbs (they are syns but not many, the brand i get is actually syn free), I cook it with wedges (skin left on as quicker) and serve with a tin of mushy peas. I include a tomato and pickled onions for superfree and have a bit of ketchup on the side.

Chinese - Like I had for dinner but one of the following:
Beef stir fry (with blackbean sauce - blue dragon is 3 syns)
Chicken Stir fry (whatever sauce we fancy but norm a blue dragon sauce)
Prawn Stir fry (normally a szechuan pepper blue dragon shot - 3.5 syns) or the tomato one - about 3.5 syns
I have them with either noodles or rice (depends on what sauce we go for)

Curry - We make a load of different ones, best checking on here for recipes if you fancy making one. not as quick as the other meals.

I dont bother with pizza or kebabs but someone posted a recipe for a kebab not long ago. Good luck, hope I give you some ideas to stay in plan.

I've been keeping a food diary for 6 weeks and I use it to calculate my average daily syns at the end of each week. It's been working out at an average of around 20 syns per day, but as I've lost 7.5 lbs I'm not worrying too much about it. I figure that it's better to keep track of my food and continue making conscious decisions about how I'm using my syns even if it means I'm using more syns than I'd like to for the time being. I know I'll have to start cutting down on the syns as I get closer to target, but I feel so proud of myself for what I've achieved already. Instead of having to change my eating habits from eating the equivalent of 50-60 syns a day down to 5-15, I'm taking it in manageable chunks which don't seem quite so severe.

My one key rule now is that I insist on checking the syn value of foods before I decide whether to have it or not. I was out for an impromptu dinner with my sister and some others at a restaurant that I wouldn't have chosen. I'd been reasonably good with my syns all day so I opted for the healthiest option on the menu. The spaghetti bolognaise (7.5 syns) arrived with 4 slices of delicious looking garlic bread, I looked up the syns for the garlic bread and decided to have 1 slice (4.5 syns). I felt in control, didn't deprive myself too much, and saved myself 13.5 syns that I'd previously have eaten without thinking about it.

"losing weight is hard, being overweight is hard, which hard do you want to have" i
What a great quote. I'm going to print this off and pin it to my fridge and my computer at work. It's tough changing our attitudes to food, but it's going to be worth it in the long run.

It's times like these you need to go to group and WI, seriously. You may feel bad, but you can do this and control it with the support of group and your consultant. I've been sabotaging myself lately and I wrote a pro / con list for and against losing weight, and keep it in my purse. As long as the pros are more, I keep at it, and I'm trying to think 'do I want this enough to be fat for it' . You can do this

i just cant stick to the plan, i will go over o n my syns, or have a takeaway.
im already planning on not going to wi on wednesday just because i know i will have put weight on.

i want to lose weight, i feel disgusting, i hate myself the way i am

why cant i do it?

You can't do it because you're head either isn't in the right place, you don't want to do it, or the diet plan isn't right for you.

All diets start with the head, the rest just falls into place.

If you really really do want to do this, you will do it.

Keep telling yourself that you CAN do it, you WANT to do it and you WILL succeed.

As the phrase goes, "When you've had a bad week, you need your group. When you've had a good week, your group needs you!"

Lots of advice here. I'm kinda the same I have god awful days then loads where I'm totally 100% and focused. I agree about going to group, your consultant is there to help you x

Hi hun, there's lots of excellent advice on here, but I just wanted to say, please don't give in - you've already done so well! Try not to focus on what you can't eat, but what you CAN eat! I find that when I try to keep certain foods "off limit", I want them even more. There are so many Slimming World healthier alternatives to our favourite foods (and it's also important to treat ourselves - and not feel guilty about the treats too!). I too used to love my weekend takeouts, now every saturday we make a big Slimming World curry and i'll save my syns for nan bread/samosa's or poppadoms. Other nights when i'm craving a takeout, we make our own egg fried rice with soy sauce, chopped up omelette and pea's and then we use the Mayflower curry sauce mix (2 syns per serving). There are so many alternatives available, I think the key is planning! :) xxx

I so know how you are feeling ! BUT don't EVER give up - 2 years ago I lost 2.5 stones within about 15 - 20 weeks - it was just SO easy, I was wondering how on earth I had found it so easy etc. THEN 6 months later started gaining a half a pound here and half a pound there, a pound here and a pound there - and I just COULD NOT get back on track no matter what I tried to do. Regained 1.5 stones ! in 18 months.

THANKFULLY the last 6 weeks I am back on track - although finding it very hard to lose weight - in fact only lost half a stone in 6 weeks. AND I think the reason is - STRESS.

When I lost the weight in 2010 - I was very comfortable and relaxed and a new job etc etc.

I have had quite a lot going on in my life over the last 12 - 18 months (hence the regain - I think) - but things have been a bit clearer the last few weeks and I am starting to lose weight again.

So - if you do have lots of stress in your life at the moment - try to eliminate as much as you can, relax a bit, don't stress over not following plan 100% and maybe you'll find it a little easier to get back on to it properly.

Wish you all the luck in the world because I know how frustrating it really is for you. Best Wishes.

as said in posts above, don't be too hard on yourself, you've done amazingly so far, look at those losses!

go to group, we've all had days when we haven't wanted to go but when you go and get the support of the C and group you'll probably walk away motivated and ready to take it on again

Chin up hun, remember a journey of a thousand miles starts wth one step, sometimes you just have to cut yourself a break :)

K xx

Don't give up. We all have bad times but you have to remember why you wanted to lose weight. Think of how you will feel in a months time or 6 months time when you stick with it. Imagine going clothes shopping and fitting into some thing you would not ware now because of your size. Imagine people asking you did you loose weight. Imagine fitting into something you have not worn in years. Also think of how better you will feel not carrying the extra weight you currently have.

Back