Should it be organic?

ransch

Hi Everyone. I watched one of those toe curling documentaries last night about the meat industry and what they pump the animals up with to get the highest profit :eek:

It got me thinking. We're all eating so much meat aren't we doing ourselves a serious disservice eating all these hormones, chemicals and other sh**? Perhaps it's these hormones that mess with our totm?

Can anyone afford to eat organic all the time? I certainly can't although I do buy organic eggs (so the packet says). Perhaps some meats are worse than others. Does anyone know anything about this? :confused:

My parents buy organic and you can taste the difference.
I really wish I could afford to buy organic, but I just can't.

I'm sure theres some savvy way of doing it and going to your butchers etc.... but alas its just whizzing around the supermarket when I have time for me :(

I do insist on free range eggs and chicken. I won't buy duck from a supermarket as they are now being kept in the same awful conditions as standard chickens. I do actually fish and hunt a bit as I abhor the cruel conditions animals are reared under. I am a great fan of Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall and try as nearly as possible to live as well as he does.

It's certainly something to think about. I've never considered that as a possible reason behind the totm because Atkins tends to sort me out that way (PCOS - low carb diets agree best with me). I can't afford it either but working towards the day I can. Thanks for the food for thought!

It's certainly something to think about. I've never considered that as a possible reason behind the totm because Atkins tends to sort me out that way (PCOS - low carb diets agree best with me). I can't afford it either but working towards the day I can. Thanks for the food for thought!

Hey BlackRose I'm a PCOS girl too :D

I guess our bodies are used to processing all types of crap. I know when I was eating cheesecakes, muffins and tiger loaf , my body was struggling.

It is not struggling at the moment. I cannot afford organice meat. I do go for organic and/or free range eggs. When finances allow, I will make sure all I have is organic and farm assured.

My periods are fine, as I have a mirena coil in. So, for now, I will just have to buy what I buy.

But optimal is defo organic and home grown veg :)

I promise you it's nothing in the meat causing your totm. It's a common side effect of any diet with rapid initial loss to bring on an extra period or make one period longer. When I started the Cambridge diet I had a three week period. We store hormones in fat cells and when you lose weight fast the hormones release, triggering changes in torn and sometimes moodswings etc. That's why people who are diagnosed with depression have to be monitored on Cambridge as it can make it worse. The totm thing is a perfectly normal reaction to an extreme change in diet. All the meat I eat is organic and I have the same thing.

I remember my period was dreadful when I was on Exante for a month! That reminded me.

Hey BlackRose I'm a PCOS girl too :D

LOL there's plenty of us! I think we're definitely on the right diet though. I did Atkins ten yrs ago - hadn't had a period for a yr - three months after Atkins et voila! Regular again - still painful and draining as hell but working at least. Three days on it this time and I had one as well. Hormones eh? Who need 'em?! lol

Hello you lot,

Like you all I get organic eggs and try to get free range chickens - thing is, no matter what you buy in a supermarket you get shafted (figuratively speaking). Bacon for example; the cheaper bacon is crammed full of water and preservatives. My parents eat it because they think it's good value, this drives me mental because 1) the quality is cack, 2) just because it weighs more, doesn't mean the weight stays the same after cooking and 3) it tastes rank. I only buy dry cure.

Also chicken breasts are all injected with water and preservatives. Like most of you I'm not loaded (and I won't shoplift :p ) but I have to accept that unless you pay top sums you won't get quality.

I'm so jealous of leeanne1, I would love to be as self sufficient as possible. Not easy living in Wimbledon lol.

Kieran x

Kieran_A said:
Hello you lot,

Like you all I get organic eggs and try to get free range chickens - thing is, no matter what you buy in a supermarket you get shafted (figuratively speaking). Bacon for example; the cheaper bacon is crammed full of water and preservatives. My parents eat it because they think it's good value, this drives me mental because 1) the quality is cack, 2) just because it weighs more, doesn't mean the weight stays the same after cooking and 3) it tastes rank. I only buy dry cure.

Also chicken breasts are all injected with water and preservatives. Like most of you I'm not loaded (and I won't shoplift :p ) but I have to accept that unless you pay top sums you won't get quality.

I'm so jealous of leeanne1, I would love to be as self sufficient as possible. Not easy living in Wimbledon lol.

Kieran x

Hi Kieran- hadn't spotted you were in wimbledon- i'm just round the corner in twickenham. We have talked of organising a london meet up one day!

Yes Twickers is not far at all, a London meet up, yeah why not.

Leeanne1, yes I have a garden and currently growing herbs and strawberries. I am kind of new to growing my own stuff so I am only dipping my toes, though soon I am thinking to grow swiss chard and maybe spinach.

Kieran

I think on a tight budget and having to buy seperate for the rest of the family makes even thinking about buying top quality give me a headache lol

One day.....lol

I just don't worry about it, if you listened to it all, you'd never eat again. I do buy free range eggs, but only because of the chickens

Back