Sinus issues - advice on remedies

kingleds

Gold Member
Help! My sinuses have been playing me up for the last few months - since Christmas really. Its getting worse & worse to the point where i am taking painkillers most days. I wear glasses as well which isn't helping. Its only 1 side, i haven't got an infection as far as i can see. But the same side that is blocked my eye is also watering constantly (though that is a pretty much permanent state of affairs for the last 2 years so may not be related)

Have a docs appointment on thursday but really need some relief in the meantime. Any ideas? I've ordered a humidifier for my bedroom - hoping that will help but any other ideas appreciated.
I'm allergic to decongestant remedies like sudafed btw so thats a no go :(

I'm not sure if it will help much.. But when i get a cold and get quite blocked up sinuses i make my own "remedy". Slice up lemons and boil with diet lemonade, add honey (for 1 syn per tsp) if you want to. Boil until the lemons fall apart a bit and the mixture becomes lightly syrupy. And it's ready to breathe in and drink =)

When I had a sinus infection, when preganant and couldn't take antiobiotics, I was told to snort salt water. Horrible, but really worked, and quickly

I've just read that drinking a tablespoon of Apple Cider VInger in warm water 3 times a day can help. Its also good for weight loss apparently (which would be a added bonis) Anyone tried this rememdy before, and also know if Apple Cider Vinegar free on SW?

yes it is.

but I do't thik it'd work, you're better off trying direct heat. pop a slighty damp towel or flannel i the microwave for 30 secs, check how hot it feels the lie on your sofa or bed with it over your face but also draped over the top of the head too. you eed to warm all of the sus pockets. I hope you feel better soon.

yes it is.

but I do't thik it'd work, you're better off trying direct heat. pop a slighty damp towel or flannel i the microwave for 30 secs, check how hot it feels the lie on your sofa or bed with it over your face but also draped over the top of the head too. you eed to warm all of the sus pockets. I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks - will try that this evening after the gym, Unfortunately am at work otherwise I'd be trying it now.

The snorting salt water thing is another remedy I saw, will try that as well, even though its gonna be yucky. Have already tried steaming my head on a few occasions in the last week and that doesn't seem to be doing the trick :(

I appologise for my "n" key related typos above... somat's up with it o my laptop. I am havig to really press it hard.... LOL!!!

Flibsey said:
I appologise for my "n" key related typos above... somat's up with it o my laptop. I am havig to really press it hard.... LOL!!!

Secod class returd to dottingham?

"You need Tunes, Mate"

One for the over 30s there....

I feel your pain, I have sinus problems too, and it's always the one side :(

The only thing that works for me is a salt water nasal spray, not pleasant, but if you can use it you should see a differece, good luck :)

Ooooh my doc said to boil a load of hot water and sit with your head over it for as long as you can with a towel over your head. It steams and releases the pressure in your sinuses x

Decongestants are only good for a day or two anyway. Best to try old fashioned steaming hot steamy water in a bowl few drops of olbas oil or Vicks and cover bowl and your head with a big towel and inhale. Works a treat and safe to keep doing as long as required.
That reminds me of a time I made up a bowl of vicks and boiling water for my mother, there she was with her head under a towel, I kept saying 'stop moaning and breathe it in - no keep breathing deep'. When she couldn't take it any more she emerged with a nose bleed and partially melted eyeballs. I felt bad but me being a terrible daughter - fits of laughter. I guess you're not supposed to use half a jar of the stuff in literally just boiled water. Lesson learned. Did clear her sinuses though. She wasn't thankful. I don't blame her really... :D x

Maximaxi said:
That reminds me of a time I made up a bowl of vicks and boiling water for my mother, there she was with her head under a towel, I kept saying 'stop moaning and breathe it in - no keep breathing deep'. When she couldn't take it any more she emerged with a nose bleed and partially melted eyeballs. I felt bad but me being a terrible daughter - fits of laughter. I guess you're not supposed to use half a jar of the stuff in literally just boiled water. Lesson learned. Did clear her sinuses though. She wasn't thankful. I don't blame her really... :D x

That made me LOL isn't that a mum's role not a daughters! Ha ha

Back