Skimmed milk alternatives

Applepie

Hi, I'm thinking of trying some of the alternatives to regular skimmed milk, I have noticed from reading some threads on here that you get a bigger amount for a HEX allowance and I do find that I quite often want cereal but am reluctant because it tends to use too much of my days milk allowance.

A few years back I did try soya milk but hated it so I dont want to buy anything I might just waste, especially as they are a bit more expensive, the ones I'm thinking of trying are Alpro almond milk or Kara coconut milk but I wondered if anyone can give me an idea of what they are like to use both in coffee and on cereal.

If they taste just like the soya milk, at least I'll know not to bother.

I know with some of these things they are only ok to use in certain things, a friend told me she tried one and found it was no good on tea and only in coffee, also are they as good calcium wise?

Thanks

Hiya

I can definatley rec the Kara - I think they have recently changed the name to COCO but not sure. Don't imagine it is like the coconut milk in a can though.Not very coconutty but unlike Soya milk you can put it in tea and coffee. I think the trick for Soya milk is to cool it down a bit first before adding to coffee. Karo tastes better not cardboardy like some soya milk. I think with Kara you can have more. Other than that there is Almond milk or oat milk. Not tried them.

Hope that helps!

Hi hun

the best milks I like are the 1% fat milk and also the Alpro Soya light milk, you get loads of this for a HEA or if you like me you only have abit of milk for cereal then you can syn it as its quite low.

im not fond of soya milk in my tea and coffee but its great for everything else especially if you fancy hot milk mixed with a nice hot chocolate too xxx

Blue Diamond almond breeze milk isnt soya but made with almonds. 875 mls as a he. Yes 875!!!!! And I think it tastes lovely and creamy. I am converted.

I can vouch for BLue Diamond Almond breeze too - i use it for my cereal and syn it - 1 syn for 150mls !!

I dont know what it's like in hot drinks though !! Currently on offer for £1 in my local Asda.

I have used only skimmed milk for years. One of the good habits WW left me with many many years ago. I find if someone gives me tea with semi-skimmed I hate it. Too greasy. A never liked fresh as it was always so watery and had a bluey tinge to it. Long-Life skimmed if lovely and friends say tastes like semi-skimmed to them. Certainly nice enough to drink cold from the fridge. Look for the one in the white bottle marketed under several brands, but Candia/Just Milk is from Holland I think, and very nice. So handy to have in the cupboard.

I can vouch for BLue Diamond Almond breeze too - i use it for my cereal and syn it - 1 syn for 150mls !!

I dont know what it's like in hot drinks though !! Currently on offer for £1 in my local Asda.

been looking everywhere for this milk to make some rice pudding and never find it anywhere!! Even more determined to find it now!!

Asda taken the offer off. Its now £1.39, in Tesco £1.49. As we have to have 875 mls a day as a healthy extra (no problem that amount for me) its a dear do. In some way wish I had never tried it, as I really want to continue with it, but not at that price. I believe Lidl sell it too.

Asda taken the offer off. Its now £1.39, in Tesco £1.49. As we have to have 875 mls a day as a healthy extra (no problem that amount for me) its a dear do. In some way wish I had never tried it, as I really want to continue with it, but not at that price. I believe Lidl sell it too.

You don't have to have 875.. you can have half that and then half of another thing from the list, like cheddar or half the allowance of laughing cow triangles or even half a different sort of milk

Wow! Thanks for this ;) x

Hi hun

the best milks I like are the 1% fat milk and also the Alpro Soya light milk, you get loads of this for a HEA or if you like me you only have abit of milk for cereal then you can syn it as its quite low.

im not fond of soya milk in my tea and coffee but its great for everything else especially if you fancy hot milk mixed with a nice hot chocolate too xxx
How much is a healthy extra of the alpro soya light please?

Back