Sleep Apnea?

randomgurl

Sometimes (-usually when I have a bit of a cold-) I wake up gasping for breath. I don't know how to describe it really other than that, but it mostly happens when I'm sort of dozing.

I'm not asking for medical advice, however I just wanted to know if anyone here had it - if it sounds like apnea - or just because of the cold?

I have no idea about snoring, though I'm terrible at sleeping and go through patterns of insomnia to sleeping too much.

And anyone that does have this, does it improve as you lose weight?

S x

I dont have this, but both my brother and my best friend suffer from sleep apnea quite badly. sorry to say, I don't think it's linked to weight or weight-loss; my bro is a healthy 13.5 stone, my friend a healthy 11.5ish.

My brother especially used to wake up quite breathless, when we shared a room as youngsters is used to scare the hell outta me :eek:

I think a cold could make it worse, as it in itself makes it harder to breathe, especially if it is sitting on your chest and isn't just a little nose-based sniffle.

sorry, thats all I got :(

Thanks for the reply Pete - I did a little research and know theres 2 types - one (obstructive) thats most common in overweight/obese people... *whistling innocently*

Hopefully it was just the cold... :D

Back