Sleeping problems

Well my mum has just gone mental on me when I suggested going back to the doc again! I've had 2hrs sleep again FFS :( she said ' you need to allow a few days for the medication to get into your system to work' If that was the case then why would the doc tell me to only take it the nights I need it? And only for max of 2 days at a time! Of all the people I thought I could rely on for support, one was my mum! How wrong can you be eh!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Hi there,

I'm really sorry you're having such a bad time with sleeping ... I can totally empathise as I've had sleeping problems on and off over the years and it really does wear you down mentally and physically.

I just wanted to ask a potentially stupid question but I'm assuming your doc has also told you to cut out caffeine/alcohol in the first instance? Also, I don't want to ask you lots of personal questions but if you feel it may be stress/anxiety related have you spoken to your doctor about any kind of 'talking therapy' (I absolutely hate that expression, sorry!!)? Pretty hard to get anything quick on the NHS but they should really talk to you about that rather than purely offering sleeping tablets.

If those options have been tried and failed then it might be worth doing some reading on mindfulness - have a google as there are lots of ways you can use it to help reduce stress and worrying if that's what's waking you up and keeping you awake. It does sound a but pop psychology but it really does work; has lots of tools for emptying your mind and getting you back to sleep quickly and I say that as someone who is really cynical about this kind of stuff!

It must be tough if your mum isn't being supportive but maybe she just doesn't get it; I've had so many people in the past make really unhelpful comments if I've talked about being wide awake in the middle of the night, I do think some people think tablets are either the answer to anything or that it's something you should just be able to decide to solve yourself, but if they haven't been there they haven't got a clue!

Really hope you find something that works for you Welshtigger, but honestly I do recommend looking online at some of the techniques that are out there?

Bx

Oh bless you hun. Not sure about the "getting into your system" thing, once you take something like this it should work, it's not something you should need to get used to!
Did you take half or one? Perhaps increasing the dosage is a suggestion? I'm not sure though, maybe chat to GP again.

I have a slightly different problem in that I can't get to sleep but once I'm gone I'm okay.

The only other thing I can think of is if there's something on your mind, subconsciously. Has something happened just before you started having sleep problems?

Hope you get it sorted hun, I can sense the anxiety in your posts. xx

I don't want to sound unsupportive but your Mum is probably right. If you take anti biotics for a chest infection, it doesn't disappear after one tablet. You have to have two or three before they kick in. Same happened to me and they didn't kick in until the second or third night. Also, if you're waiting for it to work or waiting to feel tired, it may be a psychological thing keeping you awake.

A bit like weight loss really. You can't expect it all to drop off after one week of the plan. Sometimes, it takes different peoples bodies longer to catch on to what you're doing.

Keep going with it. Maybe, try taking it a bit earlier tonight.
Good luck.

HelsAngel said:
I don't want to sound unsupportive but your Mum is probably right. If you take anti biotics for a chest infection, it doesn't disappear after one tablet. You have to have two or three before they kick in. Same happened to me and they didn't kick in until the second or third night. Also, if you're waiting for it to work or waiting to feel tired, it may be a psychological thing keeping you awake.

A bit like weight loss really. You can't expect it all to drop off after one week of the plan. Sometimes, it takes different peoples bodies longer to catch on to what you're doing.

Keep going with it. Maybe, try taking it a bit earlier tonight.
Good luck.

I appreciate what you're saying, but they are meant to work straight away! That's the idea! Am gonna ring the docs after SW and see what they say

oh no :( just been reading your messages, temazepam like all drugs works better on some people im on so many pills that cause drowzyness its unreal but i have the same problem as you! try upping the dose ... is there anything thats bothering you that could be making you not sleep?

I have been through this myself and totally totally sympathise. Going without sleep is not nice. ((hugs))

What about trying that app I told you about? the deeper sleep one... nothing to lose for trying it?

If nothing else its lovely and relaxing. ?Then if you wake you just play it again and hopefully you will get back into the habit of sleeping?

You can also buy homeopathic sleeping tablets made by nelsons called noctura - these can be really good

The mind is a most powerful tool. I managed to override the sleeping tablets too. My mind had decided I wouldn't sleep so I didn't.... I was awake for over aweek without any sleep not even 20 mins :( It was horrid. Never again, I hope.

Give it another night and then tell your doctor it hasn't worked. It's his problem as well as yours. Hope you can resolve it soon.

[Sorry! Somehow was responding to end of page1 so my post maybe no longer relevant. Still hope you can resolve it soon though :)]

woodmouse said:
Give it another night and then tell your doctor it hasn't worked. It's his problem as well as yours. Hope you can resolve it soon.

[Sorry! Somehow was responding to end of page1 so my post maybe no longer relevant. Still hope you can resolve it soon though :)]

Thanks, it's all relevant and helps in some way :) Had a good chat with my mate who's a paramedic last night about my sleep and stuff (quite ironic that I'm now able to refer to him as my mate-he's been my sorta 'man' for the last 7 weeks, but due to him going thru a very stressful divorce-with his head currently up his ar*e, I've decided I can only be friends with him for my own sanity)- he's been part of the reason behind the not sleeping, and he suggested not takin the meds before i go to sleep, but actually having them on had for when I wake up at 1 or 2am! As they are only a 10mg dose! So last night, I spent a few hours with someone I've known for a long time, who made me laugh lots, so I was subsequently quite chilled out when I went to bed at 11! And shock horror, I've only just woken up about 5.15! Thats got to be a record! I think it was a combination of things really, but glad to have finally broken the 4.30 mark! Long may it continue as I'm knackered this morning :) Thanks all xx

Glad you got a bit more sleep Welshtigger. Hopefully it will continue to improve from here on in.

krupskaya said:
Glad you got a bit more sleep Welshtigger. Hopefully it will continue to improve from here on in.

Thanks, I hope so too :) cos got lots of sleep to catch up on! Seeing the same person for a few hours this evening too-as they are off wrk, and live round the corner from my work-so will pop to see him again on way home! And hopefully after a good laugh an possibly a slightly earlier night I'll be a bit better again tomorrow morning! On days til next Monday, so 5 more early starts, so fingers crossed! x

Can I say something else but don't jump on me....could you be depressed? One of the symptoms is the inability to stay asleep, waking in the early hours and unable to get back to sleep despite being desperately tired. Then the low feelings you feel the next day are attributed to lack of sleep, so are the headaches etc when in actual fact the depression is the primary cause. The funny thing with depression is you don't always feel depressed all the time. The time you spent with the friend who made you laugh would have released endorphins which promote well being.

If you feel this could be the case then see the doctor, depression is a physical illness caused by a chemical imbalance and needs help.

Oh and another thing that may help is taking B vitamins, especially B6.

Shirleen said:
Can I say something else but don't jump on me....could you be depressed? One of the symptoms is the inability to stay asleep, waking in the early hours and unable to get back to sleep despite being desperately tired. Then the low feelings you feel the next day are attributed to lack of sleep, so are the headaches etc when in actual fact the depression is the primary cause. The funny thing with depression is you don't always feel depressed all the time. The time you spent with the friend who made you laugh would have released endorphins which promote well being.

If you feel this could be the case then see the doctor, depression is a physical illness caused by a chemical imbalance and needs help.

Oh and another thing that may help is taking B vitamins, especially B6.

Definately not! I wouldn't jump on anyone for saying that! I was very poorly with depression about 5 years ago-so u remember what it was like-and this is completely different! When I was depressed I didnt WANT to do anything, this time I just couldn't cos I was so tired! Am a million times better in the last few days!
Thanks tho :) x

I expect it's just the dosage - 10mg is really a very low dose and personally the first tablet never does anything for me, it's not until the 2nd or 3rd tablet that it starts to kick in. And if you're only taking half a tablet that's only 5mg, which is nothing! They usually start you on the lowest dose they can as they dont know how you'll respond and BZDs can be very risky - for addiction, overdose, and risks of choking and stuff if you are totally knocked out.

I'd suggest taking one tablet several hours before going to bed, then another about half an hour or an hour before bed and see if that makes any difference. Hopefully by then they will have started to kick in.

Back